Gen 1 GM Volt Plug-In Hybrid (2011-2015)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I piloted the Volt for the first significant time today. We did a 42 mile drive, 39 miles of which were highway at between 65mph and 75mph. Drove in D, not L, with the A/C set to ECO; two of us in the car. Did 38.2 miles EV and 3.8 miles on gasoline. Might have been able to do the whole thing EV with a little less speed and the added regen from L mode.

mwalsh said:
I piloted the Volt for the first significant time today. We did a 42 mile drive, 39 miles of which were highway at between 65mph and 75mph. Drove in D, not L, with the A/C set to ECO; two of us in the car. Did 38.2 miles EV and 3.8 miles on gasoline. Might have been able to do the whole thing EV with a little less speed and the added regen from L mode.
Nice. A lot of folks like D (light regen) on the highway so they can "coast" on some small descents or when *slightly* slowing down. In can be interesting to have the car graphic up showing regen when you are driving on the highway to see the subtle times regen is working.

On any long trip, I generally am using cruise control and driving in L (heavy regen). It keeps my speed very consistent even on up and down hills (regen is used for braking).

ECO works well and I use the front vent fans vs auto.

Twice this weekend we used the volt to move large items that wouldn't fit in the leaf. Didn't see that coming. Credit the wider hatch opening on the volt and the way the hatch opens "up".

on my last year of the lease and wondering just what will be available
at the end of September 2014? A 2015 Volt? Still the 2014? Any
major changes in the Leaf? Will the Chevy Spark be available? (Florida)
Will the Smart ED be available? :roll:

hodad66 said:
on my last year of the lease and wondering just what will be available
at the end of September 2014? A 2015 Volt? Still the 2014? Any
major changes in the Leaf? Will the Chevy Spark be available? (Florida)
Will the Smart ED be available? :roll:
September 2014 should be a 2015 Volt but will likely be a 2014 Leaf.
No major changes expected on the Leaf. Rear camera becomes standard. Rumor of option for wireless charging. Mid year they "might" start shipping with a heat resistant battery. 2015 Leaf expected to have longer range (maybe).
Chevy Spark unlikely to ever expand beyond CARB states, CA, etc. Unlikely to go to Florida.

my lease is up jan 2015 , so I will have 2015 Leaf as an option. But I will be looking at Volt, BMW I3 , Mercedes B EV ?

and whatever else is available in Va
yours is up sept 2014, you will be able to extend it a bit to get into a 2015 Leaf need be.

hodad66 said:
didn't know about extensions....... good to know
Probably should discuss on another thread, but if you extend a lease I assume that continues to amortize the balance, and he residual buyout price would be lower. Depending on how far down the balance was paid you'd have to think harder about giving the car back to them. Also, would an extension be at the same mileage allowance per month?

mileage wouldn't be a problem as I have 7500 miles on a
two year old Volt. As you can tell, the gas engine rarely
gets used and I really like to have a new vehicle every two
to three years..... :mrgreen:

Interesting, I was just thinking that I might want to extend the lease on my Volt (if Mitsubishi PHEV actually gets delayed) and was wondering if it's an option. Would the payment be the same?

From another thread but common Volt info/confusion/clarifications.

adric22 said:
I have both cars. Not sure what Weatherman was talking about on the seats being too low. They are adjustable and you can raise them up. My wife drives the Volt and has to raise the seat up and she's very short around 5'2" and has no trouble.
I have a friend at work who is 5'9" and she mentioned on a test drive at a dealer the seats seemed too far forward and not adjustable. I took her for test drive last week and she ended up really liking all the adjustments. Aside from going forward backward (track) with level below your right knee there are two adjustments on the side as follows:

vsOP0AQ.png

Pipcecil said:
Sport which makes it more sporty than the leaf and a B or hard regen mode which is like the leaf's eco.
I only drive in Sport and L(ow-max regen). Low is not gearing but common nomenclature with some resemblance to "low" when slowing down. Low is only electronically turning on max regen. I've driven in Low for 33K miles.

Sport mode can be entered at any time with two quick taps of the 'mode' button. You do NOT have to wait for the display to pop up after the 1st tap. Just tap a 2nd time. They are queued. Sport mode is definitely more responsive as it readjust the pedal mapping. Put it to the floor and it is the same as normal. See these numbers:
l77gErE.png

Just got a brochure from Chevy "If you love your volt, consider the company that created it" featuring a $1000 certificate good towards purchase or lease of GM gems such as traverse and silverado. Specifically excludes 2014 ELR. #DoTheyNotGetItOrWhat

Using the NADA guide, it should retail for $23,650-24,750. But you can get a brand new 2014 Volt for $27,495 after tax credit and before haggling on price. Also options make a big difference - fully loaded that may not be a bad price.

MTNRanger said:
Using the NADA guide, it should retail for $23,650-24,750. But you can get a brand new 2014 Volt for $27,495 after tax credit and before haggling on price. Also options make a big difference - fully loaded that may not be a bad price.

Good info, thanks. Any chance they will upgrade the battery packs to lets say 50 Miles?

Fred

Wennfred said:
I've seen a few 2011 Chevy Volts listed used at $23,000 at around 31k miles, what do you guys think? as I do not know much about the battery life at this stage in Southern California.

Fred
The battery is probably fine in SoCal, but that's not the main issue. A new base Volt's list price is $34,995 - $7,500 fed. tax credit and $2,500 Ca. rebate is $24,995, so unless that 2011 was optioned to the eyeballs it makes no sense at all at that price. Granted, the sales tax will be calculated before the credit/rebate, but I'd still pass unless you can't scrape up the extra $3k or so plus however much more for the options you want. Personally, I'd consider the Hold capability on the 2013 and subsequent to be a major advantage worth getting, but that's due to the way I'd use the car.

As for battery upgrades to 50 miles of range, I wouldn't expect that before Gen 2. It's something Akerson (IIRR) said he'd like to see, although his math is faulty (he was talking about a 20% battery improvement, to 50 miles EPA).

Back