Gen 1 GM Volt Plug-In Hybrid (2011-2015)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IBELEAF said:
Personally, I prefer driving in "Sport" mode, but have no problem with switching it. I wish it could just remember your last setting, perhaps Volt 2.0 will have it.
I don't think it is a question of can they do it. This has been talked about at length at gm-volt.com . The common thought is that if you left it in SPORT that means whoever gets in that vehicle next (teen, significant other, dad, etc) may not realize that the accelerator pedal has been remapped to be very sensitive/linear by comparison to a normal autotrans or "normal" mode in the Volt. Imagine your teen backing out of the garage and applying too much pressure then ripping off your mirror as they freak out missing the brake pedal from their lack of driving experince. Several other examples you could think of.

To me "Sport" on the Volt or "D" on the Leaf is a more normal mapping. Of course I've been driving a BMW M3 and Mercedes E55 the last few years. (We've had this debate, I promise prolong it further).

New Blog: Looking at the EPA sticker and examing their assumptions when assigning a 'Savings' number

http://voltowner.blogspot.com/2012/08/epa-sticker-of-2013-chevy-volt-savings.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We've had our LEAF for almost a year now and yesterday my wife checked out a Volt company car and brought it home (for work activities the next day). This is the first time I've sat in and driven in a Volt. I thought I'd share my impressions for those that are curious.

On exterior looks alone, I think the Volt is way sharper looking. It's lines, colors, etc. make it look way sportier than the LEAF. On the inside the front seats are more firm which I like and leg room is a bit more than the LEAF. Headroom, however, is much less. I'm 5'11" and my hair was brushing the ceiling. Back seat is no-contest: the LEAF has more room. My wife had the hatch open when I got in the back seat and when she proceeded to close it I told her to wait until I tilted my head down for fear it would bonk me on the head. My head pretty much touches the hatch when its closed. Again, seat comfort is preferable but it is too small and I personally prefer a bench vs bucket seats (dog, car seat, etc.). The trunk room seems quite a bit smaller than the LEAF as well, though I do like that the EVSE fits nicely under the floor and it wraps up onto itself... and it has a LIGHT!

The instrument displays are very cool with nice graphics. I didn't much care for the touch buttons on the center stack. It had a hard time finding the buttons I was looking for because I couldn't discern a logical layout of where they were. I found the visibility to be a bit lacking. Handling seems noticeably better than the LEAF, however, give the LEAF 17" rims and lower profile tires and it may be comparable, who knows. Acceleration seemed similar to the LEAF. Unfortunately it had depleted its battery charge when I drove it so when I got on the accelerator, the engine revved up to provide the requested amount of electricity.

I still think its a better looking car than the LEAF, with some much better features... Lit buttons for releasing the charging port + release on the keychain, the easy-to-understand wording of the charge type you are setting up ("Finish charging at a certain time" vs "Start charging at a certain time"), etc.

My wife drove it to work from Walnut Creek to San Francisco this morning. We trickle charged it from 1am to 7am and she had a guestimated range of 25 miles of EV driving. Google map routes the trip at 25.4 miles and she made it to work with 2 miles to spare. This route, for those that know it, has a considerable amount of elevation gain. Commute mornings are easier on range with speeds of around 35-40mph but still that's amazingly close for the initial estimate.

Nice car, but I'm still happy I own a LEAF.

Did you try lowering the seat or perhaps you have more hair then I do. I am 5'10" and have no issues with the headroom.

Btw, having Volt for a few weeks I realize that it's more thoughtful design inside and out then Leaf is.

Is there any info/rumors out on other models based on the Volt platform (Voltec?) ??

I've heard several comments that a compact crossover SUV would be highly desirable for those needing a little more headroom and maybe some extra space in the back for a dog or other cargo.

I sometimes drive my daughter and 2 friends with band instruments. 1 french horn, one melaphone, one trombone and 2 trumpets. On first inspection it seemed like the Leaf would fit them much better. It surprised me that it was actually easier to get all those instruments in the Volt (the horn case fits through the space between the rear seats which helps.

Of course on the Leaf one could fold down one of the seats and still fit the 3 kids and have extra space, but just tossing things in the back, the Volt somehow worked better. Probably because with the Leaf everything would have to be stacked to the ceiling where as the Volt has a more horizontal space.

Anyway, just wasn't what I expected and we now do that carpool in the Volt.

Space wise, Volt seems smaller, but things do fit better. I did not like how our UppaBaby Vista stroller fit in Leaf by obstructing the rear view and having to remove the cargo cover where in Volt I can lay it flat without much hassle of fitting. I am considering to get some roof storage for longer trips. Any suggestions?

maybe its because there has never been more than 2 adults and a small child, but i dont see a huge size difference in the Volt. i was able to take a ride in one a few months back and overall, it is a very nice car.

in an ongoing effort to eliminate gas as much as possible and knowing we are still probably 3-10 years away from that (or however long it takes to get the public charging network up and running reliably) i am looking for a replacement for my 2010 Prius. it wont be cheap either way but the expense i think is worth it. we are now in an effort to change jobs to reduce our commute (the traffic around here is progressively getting worse so a lot of this decision comes from not wanting the frustration of what is essentially an unknown commute time)

the Volt is a great option and the size issue will have to be investigated more i guess. the other real possibility is the C-Max. i need to see one in person. (the hybrid versions are out so you can get a general idea but we are not in a hurry so we wait until the real thing is here)

I've only had the Volt for a few weeks and on a drive this morning up and down a mountainous windy road, I noticed that the kWh used that is reported on the dash decreased as I was using the regenerative brakes on a decline. I was driving is Sports mode and L gear. This is interesting but makes for inaccurate miles/KWh estimations. Of course, the LEAF reports miles/kWh but not total KwH used.

Has anyone else noticed this? Scott?

eHelmholtz said:
I've only had the Volt for a few weeks and on a drive this morning up and down a mountainous windy road, I noticed that the kWh used that is reported on the dash decreased as I was using the regenerative brakes on a decline. I was driving is Sports mode and L gear. This is interesting but makes for inaccurate miles/KWh estimations. Of course, the LEAF reports miles/kWh but not total KwH used.

Has anyone else noticed this? Scott?
Aside: Congrats on the Volt purchase. You have the best of both worlds. Someday I'll get a BEV I'm sure.

I own a 2011 so I do not have the Total kWh value displayed.

My first reaction to all this when 2012s came out with this is that it was 'wrong' and conflicted with the battery milage display. I realize it was just a design decision to both make it consistent for everyone and representing External [grid/solar/etc] supplied Total kWh.

I try to think of it as two virtual batteries - 1) externally charged batt kWhs. (ECBk) and 2) regen charged batt kWhs (RCBk). When you regen they charge up #2. The RCBk gets used/drained first and that kWh counter goes to the "bit bucket". The ECBk then gets used second and that kWh counter go toward Total kWh.

I don't know/recall if there is a third virtual battery - 3) ICE generator charged batt kWhs (IGCBk).

Interesting point about the miles/kWh. They would need to be consistent it would seem (ECBm)/(ECBk) or (ECBm+RCBm)/(ECBk+RCBk) [where m is miles).

[Hope that makes some sense as I spent all day coding and wrapping up a project before taking tomorrow off work]

scottf200 said:
Aside: Congrats on the Volt purchase. You have the best of both worlds. Someday I'll get a BEV I'm sure.
I own a 2011 so I do not have the Total kWh value displayed.
My first reaction to all this when 2012s came out with this is that it was 'wrong' and conflicted with the battery milage display. I realize it was just a design decision to both make it consistent for everyone and representing External [grid/solar/etc] supplied Total kWh.
I try to think of it as two virtual batteries - 1) externally charged batt kWhs. (ECBk) and 2) regen charged batt kWhs (RCBk). When you regen they charge up #2. The RCBk gets used/drained first and that kWh counter goes to the "bit bucket". The ECBk then gets used second and that kWh counter go toward Total kWh.
I don't know/recall if there is a third virtual battery - 3) ICE generator charged batt kWhs (IGCk).
Interesting point about the miles/kWh. They would need to be consistent it would seem (ECBm+RCBm)/(ECBk+RCBk) [where m is miles).
[Hope that makes some sense as I spent all day coding and wrapping up a project before taking tomorrow off work]
Thanks for the thoughtful reply Scott! I posted the same question over at the Volt forum but I don't think many there understood my confusion. Anyway, my first experience with the Volt was when I convinced my brother (in law) and sister to get the Volt. I like it - the DTE estimate seems a lot more accurate than the LEAF's GOM. I managed 50 miles on a charge in a recent trip on I-5 from Los Angeles to San Diego (lots of downhill I think) and then stopped at a rest stop and got another 10 miles for a total of 60 miles. I see why you're so enthusiastic about it! (but am glad that you've toned down your defense of it over the last year ;-P there's really no need.)

Picking up a new 2012 Volt on Saturday here in Phoenix while I wait for Nissan to get their act together on the battery issue. The Leaf has been my wife's car, and I've been sad driving around in my gas-burnin' Honda. I pretended to shop for groceries four or five times a week to have an excuse to drive the car:) Looking forward to being a two-electric/solar family.

I feel for you Phoenix, AZ owners. I went to college there in a non A/C'd car and could not afford much A/C in the apartment. That place was/is brutal to normal ICE cars.

Glad to see so many LEAF owners buying and appreciating the Volt for what it is and does. I cannot imagine going back to a pure ICE vehicle regardless of it's MPG. Dynamic, smooth, and quiet ride of electric is a great experience.

Had Volt for a month now, I noticed that I am putting more miles on it then I did on Leaf, but staying mostly in electric mode. Volt 40 mile claim turned out more realistic then 73 mile EPA for Leaf. Most importantly I don't stress out anymore with going any distances and using heater. It has a few nagging issues just like any car, but much less then Leaf. Looking forward to improvements when my lease is up.

My Leaf lease is up in March 2015 and I suspect I'll have a number of interesting vehicles to chose from by then!

IBELEAF said:
Had Volt for a month now, I noticed that I am putting more miles on it then I did on Leaf, but staying mostly in electric mode. Volt 40 mile claim turned out more realistic then 73 mile EPA for Leaf. Most importantly I don't stress out anymore with going any distances and using heater. It has a few nagging issues just like any car, but much less then Leaf. Looking forward to improvements when my lease is up.

IBELEAF said:

Just too many hills and too much distance to cover for the Leaf to be a practical car for much more than pure commuting in Phoenix without its full range. This past weekend was the last straw when we couldn't run all our errands because we went to the only mall with nearby chargers and both were ICE'd. We had to drive home and get our ICEmobile. I think a true 150 mile range could work, but 150 miles at a combination of highway speeds and street cruising, not hypermiling, so the Leaf will probably get traded as soon as this battery issue is solved. I would guess that our next EV will be a Tesla.

Chevrolet Volt Assembly Plant In Hamtramck Idled A Month. But Not Why You Are Thinking
- Jay (Statik) Cole [AFAIK from Canada - BTW]

Looks like GM changed its mind about "no comment" as Jay originally reported. His updated text includes this.

Good back story about Canadian CAW.
Quote:
GM is currently waging war with the Canadian Auto Workers Union...
GM officially has also since come out with a statement saying they are “gearing up for production of the new Impala” and that the idling is “not due to poor Volt sales.”
http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-volt-assembly-plant-in-hamtramck-idled-a-month-but-not-why-you-are-thinking/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aside: There have been a regular flow of new Volt owners chiming in at gm-volt.com

Back