Gen 1 GM Volt Plug-In Hybrid (2011-2015)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been reading in several posts/threads that electric vehicles have become a partisan political issue. I think most of us on this forum would agree that that is a very unfortunate development. Unfortunately, the recent staff report of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform is a very sobering read. It appears that some GOP house members will see any commercial success of the Volt as being against their political interest. Nothing good can come out of a situation like this.

here is the report:
http://www.freep.com/assets/freep/pdf/C4184286125.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lukati said:
I have been reading in several posts/threads that electric vehicles have become a partisan political issue.
It sure has! I don't know how many forum members watched the Congressional Hearing this morning about the Volt, but I was deeply disgusted to see such political grandstanding. I think that GM's Chairman and CEO, Dan Akerson, hit the nail on the head when he said:
Akerson said:
We engineered Volt to give drivers a choice --to use energy produced in the United States rather than oil from places that may not always put America’s best interests first.

And, we engineered Volt to show the world what great vehicles we make at General Motors.

Unfortunately, there is one thing we did not engineer. Although we loaded the Volt with state-of-the-art safety features --we did not engineer the Volt to be a political punching bag.

And that, sadly, is what it’s become.
If any of you want to watch the video recordings of those hearings, they are here:

House Oversight and Government Reform Subcommittee: NHTSA Response to Volt Vehicle Fires

Warning: be prepared to feel nauseous. I have already written to the committee chair, Representative Issa, and told him he should be ashamed of himself for instigating this witch hunt. I hope others will also help flood his inbox:

Contact Darrell Issa

From another thread here on MNL but should be in this master thread.

GRA said:
Not according to Bob Lutz. He originally wanted to make the Volt a BEV, but one of the engineers on the project (I think it was Tony Posawatz - see http://www.txchnologist.com/2011/questions-for-tony-posawatz-father-of-the-chevy-volt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) convinced him that a PHEV 80/20 solution was a better idea. For mainstream drivers (as opposed to EV enthusiasts) I agree, for the reasons Posawatz cites in the link.
You can hear it from Bob himself in the MP3 below.

From: http://gm-volt.com/2010/11/30/the-volt-has-launched-first-consumer-build-being-auctioned-online/
The Volt Has Launched: First Consumer Build Being Auctioned Online
As a surprise the father of the Volt, former GM vice chairman Bob Lutz, came out and gave closing remarks.
Lutz complimented Jon Lauckner, who also attended, the former GM VP who actually advised adding the range extender as opposed to the pure electric model Lutz initial envisioned. Lauckner had to push the GM board to allow the car to be produced, something they were initially against.

Interview Lyle had with Bob Lutz. I listened to it last night... historic to hear the words directly from back then and understanding their meaning today. [ <-- 30Nov2011 ]

http://gm-volt.com/files/dennislutz.mp3

52 minute interview and likely tied to this series of articles here:

http://gm-volt.com/2010/04/26/bob-lutz-on-how-the-chevy-volt-was-born/
http://gm-volt.com/2010/04/27/bob-lutz-on-chevy-volt-production-and-demand/
http://gm-volt.com/2010/05/03/bob-lutz-on-chevy-volt-pricing/

scottf200 said:
From another thread here on MNL but should be in this master thread.

GRA said:
Not according to Bob Lutz. He originally wanted to make the Volt a BEV, but one of the engineers on the project (I think it was Tony Posawatz - see http://www.txchnologist.com/2011/questions-for-tony-posawatz-father-of-the-chevy-volt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) convinced him that a PHEV 80/20 solution was a better idea. For mainstream drivers (as opposed to EV enthusiasts) I agree, for the reasons Posawatz cites in the link.
You can hear it from Bob himself in the MP3 below.

From: http://gm-volt.com/2010/11/30/the-volt-has-launched-first-consumer-build-being-auctioned-online/
The Volt Has Launched: First Consumer Build Being Auctioned Online
As a surprise the father of the Volt, former GM vice chairman Bob Lutz, came out and gave closing remarks.
Lutz complimented Jon Lauckner, who also attended, the former GM VP who actually advised adding the range extender as opposed to the pure electric model Lutz initial envisioned. Lauckner had to push the GM board to allow the car to be produced, something they were initially against.
Thanks, didn't have a copy of the book to hand.

that is an impressive list!

DrInnovation said:
TomT said:
Agreed, though I, of course, always go to USN for all of my trusted automotive news... :lol:

snip.

Well there are, of course, a lot of other sources for automative awards on the Volt (though most are backward facing have not yet done 2012). Here are some of the Volt award:

Vehicle awards

• 2011 North American Car of the Year at the 2011 North American International Auto Show.
  • Motor Trend 2011 Car of the Year
  • Automobile Magazine 2011 Automobile of the Year
  • MotorWeek 2011 Driver’s Choice Best of the Year
  • Car and Driver 10 Best for 2011
  • 2011 Edison Award
  • Highest-rated compact for 2011 J.D. Powers and Associates APEAL Study
  • 2012 Car of the Year in Denmark
  • Consumer Reports rates Volt #1 in Owner Satisfaction
  • Named “2011 Collectible Car of the Future” by Friends of the National Automotive History Collection (NAHC)[/li]

Environmental awards
  • 2009 Environmental Grand Prize awarded at the 2009 Festival International Automobile
  • 2011 World Green Car announced at the 2011 New York Auto Show
  • 2011 Green Car of the Year awarded by Green Car Journal
  • Top Gear awards Ampera as Green Car of 2011
  • MotorWeek 2011 Best Eco-Friendly
  • Chicago Auto Show Best Green Vehicle[/li]

Technology awards
  • Ward’s AutoWorld 10 Best Engines for 2011
  • SAE 2011 Best Engineered Vehicle
  • Top Michigan Innovation in 2011
  • Edmunds 2011 Green Car Breakthrough Award
  • Poplistar Mechanics Top 10 Vehicles Award for Technology
  • Poplistar Mechanics Editor’s Choice Award for OnStar MyLink for Volt[/li]

Mobile Application awards

• Poplistar Science Best of What’s New 2010
  • Consumer Electronics Show’s “Top Products” Award for OnStar MyLink for Volt Mobile Application[/li]

Safety acknowledgements

• Top Safety Pick by Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
  • National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Five-star overall vehicle score
  • Euro NCAP Five stars (out of five) in all categories[/li]

This was in the 'fire' thread but seemed to fit in this thread better.

Herm said:
Its 10.5:1, the fuel quality argument is a bit weird since you can buy low quality adulterated premium at many no-name gas stations.. and people dont hesitate to fill up the tanks in their $50k vehicles with the cheapest crap they can find. <snip>
The manual recommends TOP TIER labeled suppliers.
Fuel
Use of the recommended fuel is an important part of the proper maintenance of this vehicle. To help keep the engine clean and maintain optimum vehicle performance, we recommend the use of gasoline advertised as TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.
Look for the TOP TIER label on the fuel pump to ensure gasoline meets enhanced detergency standards developed by auto companies. A list of marketers providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline can be found at http://www.toptiergas.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Herm said:
Its 10.5:1,<snip>. I suspect the main reason is that GM chose an engine that is slightly undepowered.
Reasonable details/distinctions in the the SAE "2011 Chevrolet Volt Development Story" or the "Chevrolet Volt: Charging into the Future" book. While it is true they used an existing engine in their line up because of development time it is not used in a standard way...not by any means.

For example:

Judged by its individual components, Volt’s 1.4-L four-cylinder combustion engine resembles its nearly identical cousin in the Chevrolet Cruze. It has got an aluminum DOHC head with four valves per cylinder. Its hollow-frame iron cylinder block is a thin-wall casting, making it nearly as light as a comparable aluminum block while retaining iron’s inherent strength and noise-damping qualities.

Derived from GM’s global Family Zero of small-displacement gasoline inline triples and fours, the Volt engine was designed for efficient operation. Its hollow camshafts are manipulated with two-step variable electrohydraulic phasers. Its lubricant is distributed through a variable-displacement flow-control oil pump to reduce parasitics under light load conditions. The thermostat is map-controlled.

There is no starter motor; the car’s generator motor handles that task. And the engine’s undersquare bore/stroke promotes good low-and mid-range combustion efficiency, particularly in turbo versions.

But a closer look, and a drive in the Volt, show this is not a typical Family Zero unit (nor is it turbocharged). It is governed to 4800 rpm, the speed at which the engine typically runs when the Volt’s powertrain management controller calls for the generator to engage.

There are unique control algorithms (Engine Maintenance and Fuel Modes) that start the engine every 45 days and run it for up to 10 min, in case the owner has been driving solely on battery power, to lube the internal surfaces and run the diagnostics. It’s an off-the-shelf engine almost invisibly modified to serve the Volt’s series-hybrid operating mode.

“With our propulsion architecture, the role of this engine is completely different from any other car in the marketplace today, or from what we currently know is coming,” said Pam Fletcher, GM’s Global Chief Engineer, Hybrid and Electric Engineering. She noted that the engine is calibrated to operate “completely differently” than engines in the Cruze or other conventional powertrains.

“We did all of our development around maximum efficiency,” noted Fletcher, who also serves as the chief engineer of GM’s plug-in-hybrid program. “It was a different game than the one we usually play in balancing power and efficiency, because this engine’s really set up to run like a generator.”

The engine’s role in Volt allowed the powertrain development team many degrees of freedom for calibration, as the car’s electricgenerator and traction motors deliver positive and negative torque at a wide speed range. The engine thus does not respond directly to demand from the driver’s right foot as in a conventional vehicle, because you are effectively driving the traction motor, not the ICE.

<snip>

If GM had designed the range extender for efficiency alone they would have chosen an atkinson mode cycle like the Prius uses.. but apparently they needed more HP thus had to step away from that. They chose that engine to meet the 100mph spec, for NVH customer comfort and for low cost.. Originally there was talk about a 3 cylinder 1L engine but they also stepped away from that. Thats why I think the next version should be based on the 1.8L Cruze engine, 13:1 expansion ratio atkinson cycle and slightly lighter than the 1.4L engine due to the larger bore.. I dont have any issues with using premium for a range extender.

Herm said:
If GM had designed the range extender for efficiency alone they would have chosen an atkinson mode cycle like the Prius uses..
Atkinson isn't needed when the engine runs at WOT nearly all the time like it does on the Volt. The Prius uses the Atkinson to reduce pumping losses at low load.

On a per-liter basis, power output of the Volt and Prius ICE is very similar.

MyVolt.COM has had charging commands for many months. They added/had some efficiency and charging data last fall in sort of a "beta mode" and then they turn off...
MyVolt.com will be down from 2/11/2012 8:00 PM - 2/12/2012 5:00 PM. Remote Link/Volt Mobile App will also be down from 2/12/2012 4:00 PM - 2/12/2012 6:00 PM. An email notification will be going out to all Volt customers later next week informing them of the maintenance schedule. All times listed are EST.

Some of the screens I captured for a presentation I did that may be back with the above update.

efficiency_mpg_hist_last_7_days_and_energy_consumption_last_30_days.JPG

mileage_details_last_7_days.JPG

mainpage_status_efficiency.JPG

mainpage_status_charging.JPG

efficiency_mpg_hist_last_30_days.JPG

charging_details_last_12_months.JPG

charging_details_last_7_days.JPG

charging_details_last_30_days_download.JPG

charging_details_last_30_days.JPG

drees said:
Herm said:
If GM had designed the range extender for efficiency alone they would have chosen an atkinson mode cycle like the Prius uses..
Atkinson isn't needed when the engine runs at WOT nearly all the time like it does on the Volt. The Prius uses the Atkinson to reduce pumping losses at low load.
On a per-liter basis, power output of the Volt and Prius ICE is very similar.

Good point Drees, I will shut up about atkinson whining now.. the funny thing is that I knew that but my mind locked into it.

Herm said:
Good point Drees, I will shut up about atkinson whining now.. the funny thing is that I knew that but my mind locked into it.
I didn't think the Volt runs WOT most of the time. I'm thinking the engineers said that in modeling they got 50 MPG running it WOT but the decision was made to run it at lower RPMs in order to keep things more quiet and more EV like even when it wasn't running off the battery. I think the BYD serial hybrid runs WOT and the reviewers have said it's very noisy. But it does get better MPG.

SanDust said:
I didn't think the Volt runs WOT most of the time. I'm thinking the engineers said that in modeling they got 50 MPG running it WOT but the decision was made to run it at lower RPMs in order to keep things more quiet and more EV like even when it wasn't running off the battery. I think the BYD serial hybrid runs WOT and the reviewers have said it's very noisy. But it does get better MPG.
My DashDAQ certainly says it runs WOT nearly all the time. Just because it's WOT doesn't mean it's at the optimal RPM. I'm not a mechanic, but it's my understanding that it takes throttle, fuel, and load to determine RPM and power. They run it lower RPMs at lower vehicle speeds so the road noise covers the ICE noise (for the most part). Yes, they'd probably get better MPG running at higher RPMs, but that would negatively impact NVH as you say.

My understanding is they control RPM by fuel flow and engine load (which they can change quickly by loading or unloading the MGA generator). But yes I wish that in addition to Mountain and Sport mode they had an Efficiency mode, which would sacrifice NVH for MPGs.

Would this be a bad time to mention that the Atkinson cycle, as manifest in modern day automotive engines, is mechanically identical to any other gasoline engine and thus it does absolutely nothing for pumping losses? The secret is having a power stroke that's longer than the compression stroke. The tradeoff is you need a larger (read: heavier) engine for the same output.

If the Volt used such an engine it might've gotten 50+MPG in charge sustain mode instead of 35... assuming they could shoehorn it in under the hood. In fact, they probably could have used some form of variable valve timing scheme to achieve exactly the same effect when optimal to do so... dunno what that would do to the cost of the vehicle though!
=Smidge=

Smidge204 said:
Would this be a bad time to mention that the Atkinson cycle, as manifest in modern day automotive engines, is mechanically identical to any other gasoline engine and thus it does absolutely nothing for pumping losses? The secret is having a power stroke that's longer than the compression stroke. The tradeoff is you need a larger (read: heavier) engine for the same output.

If the Volt used such an engine it might've gotten 50+MPG in charge sustain mode instead of 35... assuming they could shoehorn it in under the hood. In fact, they probably could have used some form of variable valve timing scheme to achieve exactly the same effect when optimal to do so... dunno what that would do to the cost of the vehicle though!
=Smidge=
Lutz did write that some GM engineers wanted to boost the Volt's efficiency by using a blended powertrain all the time, but he nixed that, saying that the EV early adopters would be most concerned about having a substantial range in BEV mode even if that meant a lower efficiency (and higher price) overall. Toyota is taking the lower-cost, higher efficiency route, Ford appears to be doing the same, while Honda appears to be leaning more towards the Volt model.

Sandust, WOT (wide open throttle) happens at different RPMs, at 1500, 3000 or 4500.. vacuum is close to zero always. The engine is fully loaded at all times, for best economy.. there have been some complaints that this creates lots of noise.

Quoting from an article in the WSJ yesterday, on the Cruze taking sales from the Volt:

"The Volt and the similarly sized Chevy Cruze may not appear to be rivals, considering the hybrid costs around twice as much. But they are, and the success of the conventional Cruze, and other cars like it, compared to the advanced Volt illuminates important trends in the auto market.

"One is that most car buyers have specific demands for relevant, fuel-saving technology. What sells is better mileage and performance for, at most, a modest price premium to older technology. Barring a huge run-up in fuel prices, it could take 20 years, or more, for a Volt buyer to earn back through fuel savings the roughly $20,000 extra cost compared with a Cruze. That math matters to consumers who put cost concerns ahead of emotions and self-image.

"Advanced cars that offer marginal fuel savings for a lot more money up front aren't selling yet in significant volumes. The seven months' worth of unsold Volts tallied by Autodata Corp. as of Jan. 31 attest to the challenge. The all-electric Nissan Leaf isn't a big seller, either, with customers buying just 676 of them in January."

Full article here:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204136404577208961537456068.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nothing really surprising, although this is the first time I've seen inventory backlog for the Volt listed - 222 days. It does suggest that GM needs to get the Volt's price down substantially, maybe by offering a version with only 1/2 or 1/3rd the battery (dropping the price, slightly improving acceleration and boosting CS efficiency by 1-2 mpg). Of course, if they only drop the price by the cost of the battery, they might wind up with a shorter AER range at the same price after incentives that they've got now, which won't help.

They might also want to consider reducing the CD cutout speed from 70 to 62 or maybe 55 mph. IMO CS mode should primarily be used in urban and stop and go traffic. At high cruising speeds the ICE is warmed up and most efficient while being very clean, and the battery is getting drained far too rapidly.

GRA said:
They might also want to consider reducing the CD cutout speed from 70 to 62 or maybe 55 mph. IMO CS mode should primarily be used in urban and stop and go traffic. At high cruising speeds the ICE is warmed up and most efficient while being very clean, and the battery is getting drained far too rapidly.
The Volt stays in EV mode until the battery is "empty" regardless of speed.

If you have electrons to burn, it's nearly always better to use them, even on the highway.

The only time it may be better to enter CS mode early is to retain a few miles of EV mode for the end of your trip, but that's not always easy to calculate or estimate. You could use mountain mode for the appropriate amount of time if you wanted to do this manually, though.

drees said:
GRA said:
The Volt stays in EV mode until the battery is "empty" regardless of speed.

If you have electrons to burn, it's nearly always better to use them, even on the highway.

The only time it may be better to enter CS mode early is to retain a few miles of EV mode for the end of your trip, but that's not always easy to calculate or estimate. You could use mountain mode for the appropriate amount of time if you wanted to do this manually, though.
Mountain mode is how I'd do it manually. I do think that a typical commute involving freeways is urban at both ends, with high speed in the middle, and EV mode should be saved for the urban portions.

Barring a huge run-up in fuel prices

Thank God we don't have to worry about that!

Don't kid yourself though 40mpg cars do present a serious inhibitor to EV sales, and the Cruze is one of GM's better efforts in a long time. I question how often they drivers realize a true 40mpg in them though, just as I wonder where they are getting these figures like $648 a year for electricity. That's twice what our Leaf appears to be costing us in juice. Still when you see the cars side by side in the showroom it's a leap of faith for most buyers to spend that much more for a car with the hopes of making it back on fuel savings.

Back