Gasoline May Rise Above $5 a Gallon

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
greengate said:
It should be $10 a gallon, heading toward $15 to get the masses out of their SUV's and trucks. To get them into EV's, don't you think?
I see people who I think would keep right on doing what they're doing at $20 a gallon seemingly unaffected. Meanwhile it's the single mom who just needs to get to work in her 10 year old corolla who really gets hosed.

a 2005 Corolla easily gets 30+ MPG http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=yourMpgVehicle&id=20796" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd be more worried about the mom driving a Tahoe/Yukon (some call it a Yukahoe) or any of a dozen other vehicles of that age that get 15 MPG in mom style driving.

My 2005 Prius still gets 50-60 MPG in normal commuting.

Given the wide range of MPG (15, 30, 60) I'd be fine seeing gas prices rising steadily to get more of those low MPG vehicles off the road. Put Mom in a vehicle with better MPG please.

dhanson865 said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
greengate said:
It should be $10 a gallon, heading toward $15 to get the masses out of their SUV's and trucks. To get them into EV's, don't you think?
I see people who I think would keep right on doing what they're doing at $20 a gallon seemingly unaffected. Meanwhile it's the single mom who just needs to get to work in her 10 year old corolla who really gets hosed.

a 2005 Corolla easily gets 30+ MPG http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=yourMpgVehicle&id=20796" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd be more worried about the mom driving a Tahoe/Yukon (some call it a Yukahoe) or any of a dozen other vehicles of that age that get 15 MPG in mom style driving.

My 2005 Prius still gets 50-60 MPG in normal commuting.

Given the wide range of MPG (15, 30, 60) I'd be fine seeing gas prices rising steadily to get more of those low MPG vehicles off the road. Put Mom in a vehicle with better MPG please.

I agree wholeheartedly. It would be great to see a fuel tax of say $1.50 a gallon or more to get some people into vehicles that they actually need not because they want to have as big a vehicle as they can get. Using that money for decent roads and infrastructure investment. And yes the Yuckaho is a good description.

wbleafguy said:
Well, my local Chevron was at $6.20 today (North Vancouver, $$1.52/litre $CAD; 3.78litre/gal, and $CAD->$USD is $1.08 today).

So, I'd be happy if it were "only" $5/gal.. at least for another week until I get my new 2015 Leaf SL :)
the cause of your high fuel costs is your nation's funding it's social programs with taxes on auto fuels

MikeinDenver said:
I agree wholeheartedly. It would be great to see a fuel tax of say $1.50 a gallon or more to get some people into vehicles that they actually need not because they want to have as big a vehicle as they can get. Using that money for decent roads and infrastructure investment. And yes the Yuckaho is a good description.

so you know what solutions are best for everyone? have you ever tried to get 2 adults and 4 kids into a prius?
maybe some of the people driving those cars you think are inappropriate because they need the capacity those vehicles offer.
at the end of the day it is none of your business what choices people make

apvbguy said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
I hope nobody has long term plans for oil from Iraq.
the US uses almost no oil from iraq, if the keystone pipeline was allowed to be built the US would be swimming in crude oil

Which it would send overseas and have no actual benefit to Americans. So your point is?

apvbguy said:
MikeinDenver said:

so you know what solutions are best for everyone? have you ever tried to get 2 adults and 4 kids into a prius?
maybe some of the people driving those cars you think are inappropriate because they need the capacity those vehicles offer.
at the end of the day it is none of your business what choices people make

If that is what they need to use because of family choices they made that is their business. If that costs them more so be it. They made those choices not everyone else. 99.9% of the time I see them with one maybe two people max.

MikeinDenver said:
apvbguy said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
I hope nobody has long term plans for oil from Iraq.
the US uses almost no oil from iraq, if the keystone pipeline was allowed to be built the US would be swimming in crude oil

Which it would send overseas and have no actual benefit to Americans. So your point is?
do I really need to explain simple economics to you or does your ideology eliminate any chance of you learning anything?

Maybe you can explain how getting that crude to port rather than selling it cheap in the mountain west will drive down gas prices. Somehow I don't think the motivation for this thing is to benefit the American motorist.

apvbguy said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
apvbguy said:
if the keystone pipeline was allowed to be built the US would be swimming in crude oil
If it springs a leak, quite literally!
=yawn=, the sky isn't falling chicken little

No but the air is getting heavier. Tar sands oil comes at a heavy price in CO2 and other pollutants as a lot of the production is burned to cook the next batch of tar sand. Since we share the same atmosphere, it's a problem.

LTLFTcomposite said:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101755408

This guy is an expert that means we should listen to him.
oh really? if he was such an expert why isn't he trading the futures or options and scoring big on his views?
bzzzzt answer is, he has an opinion and like aholes we all have one and almost all of them stink.
iraqi oil is of little consequence in the world market as is their alleged 3mm bbls per day output. one huge reason that US and canuck crude is not used to drive down US prices is because of the poor infrastructure for moving crude and product, it is next to impossible to move the stuff to the east or west coasts. and lastly it is against US laws to export crude, the crude must be made into product before it can be exported.
lastly, TV is the last place to find good market info

Nubo said:
No but the air is getting heavier. Tar sands oil comes at a heavy price in CO2 and other pollutants as a lot of the production is burned to cook the next batch of tar sand. Since we share the same atmosphere, it's a problem.
data??

apvbguy said:
EngravEER said:
So apv...which one of the Koch Brothers are you... Charlie or Davey?
do they allow you to have sharp objects?
No, only round ones.

I answered your question, now answer mine. Which one are you? And don't answer, "the guy behind the bar" :lol:

dumb-3.jpg

apvbguy said:
MikeinDenver said:
apvbguy said:
do I really need to explain simple economics to you or does your ideology eliminate any chance of you learning anything?

Apparently you need to learn simple economics. Because that is exactly what would happen. Do you think if country A is willing to pay $2 more a barrel after all costs are considered more than the US it isn't going to be shipped overseas? So then to keep it here the US consumer has to pay that higher price.

Back