Florida

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
apvbguy said:
Jarhead1947 said:
. I'm happy,

Hal

at the end of the day that is the only really important thing, enjoy your car and be safe

And keep int touch with your experiences in the world of EV's. Mine for today was plugging in to a free charger at Whole Foods while running the AC to keep the fresh veggie that I just purchased at a farmers market from getting cooked. Cool car when I came back and 10 mile more on the battery. Nice!

Post a picture when you get a chance Hal.

apvbguy said:
Weatherman said:
apvbguy said:
I lease 3 cars in FLA and I do not believe that I ever paid any such tax or fees, unless it was hidden well.

It's sales tax. You pay sales tax on the total value of the car. Which means if the car is worth $40,000, you pay tax on $40,000, even if it only cost you $32,500 with the tax credit.
maybe that is how it is done where you are but here in FLA I am only paying sales tax on my monthly fee.

Where I am?

You might want to glance over at my location...
<-----------

Regardless of whether you lease or buy, whether you pay sales tax all at once or a little bit each month, the sales tax is based on the purchase price of the car (without the tax credit). For a lease, the tax credit is considered "cap cost reduction", and everyone pays sales tax on the cap cost reduction. So, bottom line... we pay sales tax on the EV tax credit.

Weatherman said:
Regardless of whether you lease or buy, whether you pay sales tax all at once or a little bit each month, the sales tax is based on the purchase price of the car (without the tax credit). For a lease, the tax credit is considered "cap cost reduction", and everyone pays sales tax on the cap cost reduction. So, bottom line... we pay sales tax on the EV tax credit.

I think that you are either confused or maybe you were bamboozled, maybe you are paying sales taxes like that, I am not. my payment is $275 per month plus 6% sales tax on that which makes my payment $293, I don't feel like digging out the paperwork on my other cars but they are structured similarly. a car that I lease and keep in TX had taxes calculated on the value of the car, my NJ car is calculated like my FLA cars are, I pay sales taxes based on payments not on the cost or value of the car.

apvbguy said:
I think that you are either confused or maybe you were bamboozled, maybe you are paying sales taxes like that, I am not. my payment is $275 per month plus 6% sales tax on that which makes my payment $293, I don't feel like digging out the paperwork on my other cars but they are structured similarly. a car that I lease and keep in TX had taxes calculated on the value of the car, my NJ car is calculated like my FLA cars are, I pay sales taxes based on payments not on the cost or value of the car.

Ok. Let's take your line of reasoning to the logical limit.

You lease a car in Florida and you want your monthly payment to be very close to $0. So, you put down as much money as possible to achieve that. Do you, seriously, think Florida is not going to find a way to charge you sales tax on your lease? Of course they are. They tax your down payment (your cap cost reduction).

In the case of LEAF leases, NMAC applies the $7,500 tax credit, they get, to your cap cost reduction on your lease. You bet Florida is going to apply sales tax to that.

Weatherman said:
apvbguy said:

Ok. Let's take your line of reasoning to the logical limit.

You lease a car in Florida and you want your monthly payment to be very close to $0. So, you put down as much money as possible to achieve that. Do you, seriously, think Florida is not going to find a way to charge you sales tax on your lease? Of course they are. They tax your down payment (your cap cost reduction).

In the case of LEAF leases, NMAC applies the $7,500 tax credit, they get, to your cap cost reduction on your lease. You bet Florida is going to apply sales tax to that.

you would lose your bet. all I know is that every month I write a check and $275. of the $293.50 I send to NMAC they get to keep, the balance goes to the state for sales taxes. how they arrive at those numbers, I don't know, I do know that I didn't pay any other sales taxes or other taxes to FLA, excluding registration and title fees.

Jarhead1947 said:
I'm happy, it's my money.

Any advice to someone whose about to take the plunge this weekend? What dealership did you end up going to? My wife and I test drove an SV on Monday at the Sutherlin dealership and we're thinking about leasing an S for two years. They say the only S that they currently have is one with the quick charge and a backup camera. I was hoping to say that these are features we're not really interested in to maybe get them to lower the price somehow. My wife and I have been driving scooters the past year to pay down our mortgage and we're a bit tired of it and ready to upgrade to a car.
Any fine print I should watch out for? This is our first lease and first car together and I'd rather it be happy outcome like yours rather than feeling like a got swindled with hidden fees.

-Patrick

pressx2select said:
Jarhead1947 said:
I'm happy, it's my money.

Any advice to someone whose about to take the plunge this weekend? What dealership did you end up going to? My wife and I test drove an SV on Monday at the Sutherlin dealership and we're thinking about leasing an S for two years. They say the only S that they currently have is one with the quick charge and a backup camera. I was hoping to say that these are features we're not really interested in to maybe get them to lower the price somehow. My wife and I have been driving scooters the past year to pay down our mortgage and we're a bit tired of it and ready to upgrade to a car.
Any fine print I should watch out for? This is our first lease and first car together and I'd rather it be happy outcome like yours rather than feeling like a got swindled with hidden fees.

-Patrick

Do your research and do as much of the deal as you can over the internet. Read through the post in the "Buying / Leasing / Dealerships" section to get educated. Shop more then one dealer. And I think what is most important, decide the total that you want to spend on a new Leaf lease for the term of the lease. This includes all taxes, fees and payment. it is best way to compare leases.

Can also post what deals you are getting here and I'm sure someone will pick it apart. Don't be in a rush, unless you have to have a car this weekend there no reason you have to go with any deal.

In the end get a deal that you are comfortable with enjoy what is a great car. One last idea, you might want to tell us where you are and someone can suggest a dealer.

I am overpaying on a three-year lease on my 2012 LEAF SV base model I got in December, 2011. :cry: (Don't ask how much I am overpaying because I am too embarrassed to say. :oops: ) I am halfway through the lease and have 15,000 miles on the car. I sent the dealership (Autonation Nissan on Eighth Street in Miami) an email complaining about my situation and received this response today:

Thank you for your email and here at Nissan we are extremely happy to have a proud, loyal and dedicated customers as yourself. When the Nissan Leaf first came out since the vehicle was new, the lease program was a little bit high. I think that I can help you as I do want for you to stay with our Nissan Brand. I would need to see your vehicle and do an appraisal on it so that I can buy it back and give you a great deal on a new 2013 Nissan Leaf.

Does anyone have a suggestion :?: about what kind of deal I should ask for? Thanks.

N1ghtrider said:
I am overpaying on a three-year lease on my 2012 LEAF SV base model I got in December, 2011. :cry: (Don't ask how much I am overpaying because I am too embarrassed to say. :oops: ) I am halfway through the lease and have 15,000 miles on the car. I sent the dealership (Autonation Nissan on Eighth Street in Miami) an email complaining about my situation and received this response today:

Thank you for your email and here at Nissan we are extremely happy to have a proud, loyal and dedicated customers as yourself. When the Nissan Leaf first came out since the vehicle was new, the lease program was a little bit high. I think that I can help you as I do want for you to stay with our Nissan Brand. I would need to see your vehicle and do an appraisal on it so that I can buy it back and give you a great deal on a new 2013 Nissan Leaf.

Does anyone have a suggestion :?: about what kind of deal I should ask for? Thanks.
just what do you think is going to happen?
if you are only half way through your current contract that means that about 18 payments are due, the dealership is in the business of selling cars, and their offer to "help" you is more than likely an offer to you to get you into the store to take another car. I bet that is not what you want to hear but it is the reality you must come to grips with.

and as an aside, you'd be wise NOT to use your professional email address on forums like these, get a gmail or yahoo address

N1ghtrider said:

The first thing I'd do is check with NMAC to see how much it would cost to buy out your lease. My guess it's something in the low $20,000 range.

Now, if your lucky, the dealer might offer you something in the low to mid teens for the car as a trade-in, so you'll have to come up with the difference.

So, with the extra cost to pay off your lease, the effective price of your new, 2013 LEAF is back to an even more inflated level you paid for the original 2012 model. The best you can hope for is a significant improvement in the money factor over what we all were quoted back in December 2011. When all is said and done, your monthly payment might go down, by a little bit, but not by much.

N1ghtrider said:
I inquired both at the local dealer and through NMAC if I had any options, the response wasn't too appealing. Basically the balance due on the car is substantially higher than its market value, much like you would find yourself upside down on most car loans after a year or so. Of course there's always some amount of money that can fix just about anything, but in this case it's like $5k I'd have to come up with, considering a new/"more fairer" lease price would be a couple hundred a month less, with 18 months to go, that's $3600, so I figure I might as well ride it out to the end. After all, a deal is a deal, it's what I signed up for, shame on me for getting all starry-eyed.

My guess is they will propose some deal that rolls your negative into another lease or purchase deal. I'd be careful there, you may be better just riding it out from a timing perspective, 18 months from now we may have a clearer picture what version 2 will be. I fully expect them to be putting on a full court press in the last few months of the lease and there may be some early outs. They really don't want you wandering off the plantation.

N1ghtrider said:
I am overpaying on a three-year lease on my 2012 LEAF SV base model I got in December, 2011. :cry: (Don't ask how much I am overpaying because I am too embarrassed to say. :oops: ) I am halfway through the lease and have 15,000 miles on the car. I sent the dealership (Autonation Nissan on Eighth Street in Miami)

My suggestion, stay away from Autonation, especially that one on 8th street. By the time you walk out of there you will be dreaming of the days you had it good with your old lease. Truth is that the lease you have is always going to be better then any deal you can do at this time so stay with it and enjoy the car. Also at 15K miles you most likely saved a couple thousand in gas at least.

One thing that might help is that your not putting much milage on the car. At the end of the least you may want to consider buying the car if it's retail value is higher then the residual. It's a big "if" but worth looking into.

electricD said:
N1ghtrider said:
I am overpaying on a three-year lease on my 2012 LEAF SV base model I got in December, 2011. :cry: (Don't ask how much I am overpaying because I am too embarrassed to say. :oops: ) I am halfway through the lease and have 15,000 miles on the car. I sent the dealership (Autonation Nissan on Eighth Street in Miami)

My suggestion, stay away from Autonation, especially that one on 8th street. By the time you walk out of there you will be dreaming of the days you had it good with your old lease. Truth is that the lease you have is always going to be better then any deal you can do at this time so stay with it and enjoy the car. Also at 15K miles you most likely saved a couple thousand in gas at least.

One thing that might help is that your not putting much milage on the car. At the end of the least you may want to consider buying the car if it's retail value is higher then the residual. It's a big "if" but worth looking into.

Or maybe this since GM is willing to give you a $1000 if you switch to them

http://insideevs.com/general-motors-now-offering-4000-or-more-off-chevrolet-volt-to-increase-sales/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But then you are in a Volt.

It looks like someone has added a CHAdeMO DC Fast Charger on Plugshare at 29200 S. Jones Loop Rd. Lot 133, Punta Gorda, FL. Can someone please verify if that charger exists?

electricD said:

http://insideevs.com/general-motors-now-offering-4000-or-more-off-chevrolet-volt-to-increase-sales/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Supposedly part of the factory incentive to the dealer on the Volt deal I just got is a "conquest" bonus, because I am leasing a car from another manufacturer (in this case the Leaf). Not sure if that is real or not, I never know what to believe when a car salesman's lips are moving, but they made a copy of the registration from my Leaf. If it is true, I can only guess they view that as poaching a customer from their current brand loyalty.

LTLFTcomposite said:
electricD said:

Supposedly part of the factory incentive to the dealer on the Volt deal I just got is a "conquest" bonus, because I am leasing a car from another manufacturer (in this case the Leaf). Not sure if that is real or not, I never know what to believe when a car salesman's lips are moving, but they made a copy of the registration from my Leaf. If it is true, I can only guess they view that as poaching a customer from their current brand loyalty.

I need to keep reminding the various salesmen I'm working with that I qualify for that. I mentioned it to all of them when I talked to them the first time, but they all, conveniently, forgot about it when they provided their first quote.

Weatherman said:
I need to keep reminding the various salesmen I'm working with that I qualify for that. I mentioned it to all of them when I talked to them the first time, but they all, conveniently, forgot about it when they provided their first quote.
The guys in Delray didn't need any reminding, they seemed well versed in the incentives they stood to collect from GM. But that didn't stop them from presenting an opening that was waaaay above what I finally got. Ultimately I employed a negotiation strategy of exhibiting a seemingly endless capacity to waste as much of their time as they were of mine :lol:

Just got our Leaf on Friday and I can honestly say I feel happy with the price! We went to Sutherlin Nissan on Semoran and those people are awesome! I went to Reed Nissan on Colonial just to do some price matching and wow do they have a different approach to customer service. They're very fast paced at Reed which was good cause we went straight to negotiating and I was able to take their offer and have Sutherlin match it who had better customer service and made my wife and I feel really comfortable about our lease.

pressx2select said:
Just got our Leaf on Friday and I can honestly say I feel happy with the price! We went to Sutherlin Nissan on Semoran and those people are awesome! I went to Reed Nissan on Colonial just to do some price matching and wow do they have a different approach to customer service. They're very fast paced at Reed which was good cause we went straight to negotiating and I was able to take their offer and have Sutherlin match it who had better customer service and made my wife and I feel really comfortable about our lease.
Please give us the details!

Back