Fastest Level 2 Charger?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turnover said:
My home BLINK EVSE is wired into 40 amp circuit breakers. Do I get a full 40 amps at the J1772 plug or only part of the amperage? Thanks, Pat

Again the car follows the pilot. Blink recently sent an update to change the max current to 24A since at 30A some units overheated. At 30A the correct breaker size is 40A. Most lan connected Blink units have received the change to 24A.

In the Blink forum you can find instructions to verify your settings.

TonyWilliams said:
nedfunnell said:
Chademo is much more widespread but only used by Nissan, Kia, and Mitsubishi, and supplies up to 50kW. CCS is used by the Germans and is seeing slow adoption by US manufacturers, but allows up to about 100kW power. We'll see who wins.

Both CCS and CHAdeMO are designed for 200 amps, and both are currently limited to 125 amps.

Power is a function of battery voltage multiplied by amperage.

The LEAF battery maximum is 395 volts, therefore:

125 * 395 = 49.4kW

200 * 395 = 79.0kW

The "100kW" rate is only possible with a car with a 500 volt battery, of which there are none. Even Tesla is a maximum of 403 volts, and every other car is lower.

You are correct, thanks for pointing that out. I just did a quick Google search for specification numbers.

TonyWilliams said:
J1772 is constantly sending a maximum charge rate signal over the pilot pin. If that signals stops, the charge stops.

Correct again, although that's what I meant by not really communicating during charging, since it's just a steady-state square wave.

nedfunnell said:
TonyWilliams said:
J1772 is constantly sending a maximum charge rate signal over the pilot pin. If that signals stops, the charge stops.

Correct again, although that's what I meant by not really communicating during charging, since it's just a steady-state square wave.

It is dynamic. If I send a signal (maybe from my home demand response, or from the utility) to lower the charge rate, it will, in real time.

Back