Is Level II home charger included?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just Googled and yes, GM is killing the Bolt. But do not fret, they will be making 3 SUVs, their EV Sierra and of course the "it never made sense to exist in any form" Hummer.

Which PISSES ME OFF! I do NOT want a big SUV. Why do I want to spend more money either on gas or electricity to shove a big vehicle down the road? Yet we are slowly being forced into them by various manufacturers. The Leaf suits my wife, my Prius Prime suits me. We don't need bigger vehicles. Other than the EV Mustang, Ford doesn't make cars anymore, just SUVs and trucks. And only the Escape is a small SUV.
It will supposedly return in 2025 but in EUV form only, instead of EV vs. EUV: The Next Chevrolet Bolt Will Be EUV-Only, GM Confirms and with LFP battery.

I just Googled and yes, GM is killing the Bolt. But do not fret, they will be making 3 SUVs, their EV Sierra and of course the "it never made sense to exist in any form" Hummer.

Which PISSES ME OFF! I do NOT want a big SUV. Why do I want to spend more money either on gas or electricity to shove a big vehicle down the road? Yet we are slowly being forced into them by various manufacturers. The Leaf suits my wife, my Prius Prime suits me. We don't need bigger vehicles. Other than the EV Mustang, Ford doesn't make cars anymore, just SUVs and trucks. And only the Escape is a small SUV.
Well that's a shame. I knew the Bolts were off-again, on-again for a while but I thought they were still on-again. They're up on the Chevrolet website with the build-one configurator right there. I can configure a loaded Bolt EV 2LT with infotainment and adaptive cruise packages for $32,675 including shipping. The tool even shows 2 near-matches available within 10 miles of me that could be delivered on Christmas Day. With the $7500 tax incemtive that would be about $25k before TTL. A base 1LT is more like 200 miles away.

So maybe in the near future Bolt is unobtanium but right now it's a possibility. I've not driven it but on paper it seems the obvious choice over the Leaf if you qualify for the tax incemtive.

In the USA the 2023 Nisan Leafs all came with an EVSE level 2 charge cord, and I think Nissan USA probably continues that. We had a NWMA 14-50R receptacle installed outside our house for charging, with a 50A circuit. I've almost had the car a whole year now and love it. I also use a Clipper Creek level 2 charger at work.

You seem to assume that your use case applies to everyone in the world?
There are many well informed Leaf owners who never even asked a salesman much about the car that they likely know more about than the salesman anyways.

But I do feel bad for the many, usually first time, EV buyers that are suddenly confronted with EV realities that might not have been considered.

My 2015 came with the OEM 120 volt unit and a "Primecom" adjustable unit that has choices up to 32 amps. Given that 24 amps @240 is around 5.75 Kw so 32 amps is not needed and 24 amps can be hooked to a 30 amp 240 amp circuit. However when fed 208 volts it take more than 27 amps for the same output.
So for most users, who will not be connecting to two legs of a three phase power source (208 volts), a 30 amp 240 volt supply would more or less max out the 6 Kw onboard charger.
A 50 amp branch circuit takes 6 ga cable from the breaker-box, more copper, more money. It would be worth it if you are a dedicated EV user and plan to buy newer vehicle with a bigger on board charger than the Leaf takes. A 30 amp circuit can be supplied with 10 ga (if the run is short enough) or at most 8 ga. Wire is cheaper and the conduit is smaller (where required).
A note about circuit rating, a 30 amp can provide 30 amps for a momentary surge, but will trip if you try an hold that 30 amps for a long period, so the 80% rule kicks in, and 24 amps is the safe continuous load. 50 amp can handle 40 amps continuous. 40 amps, 32 continuous.
I ran 50 amps because both the wire and conduit came free to me, and allows future expansion if I ever get a higher charger car.
I have a hardwired charging station at home. The electrician said it can handle a charger of 60 amps but recommended 50 amps. I want a faster cable than what came with the car. How many amp cable should I get

I have a hardwired charging station at home. The electrician said it can handle a charger of 60 amps but recommended 50 amps. I want a faster cable than what came with the car. How many amp cable should I get
The Leaf can't use more than 27.5 amps @ 240 volt, so nothing above that will be used. If you have a different brand that has a larger onboard charger then it will make a difference.
You didn't say what year/model you have. Early Leafs and the S trim used 3.3 Kw chargers for a while, by the later years I think even the S had 6.6Kw. It is the onboard charger that determines how large a circuit would be beneficial.
The EVSE tells the car how much it can draw from the circuit, so its upper allowed, but the onboard charger can't draw more than it is designed to.
The SAE J1772 protocol means that a car can be charged on a circuit that is lower than the max the onboard charger can accept, and also connected to a circuit that is higher than the onboard charger can accept, and in both cases charge correctly and safely.
Connecting to a larger circuit than the car can use doesn't hurt it, but doesn't make it charge any faster.
With electrical when the current capacity goes up, the cost goes up. What does you present hardwired station provide?

Back