Exact wheel size and aftermarket wheels

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveInSeattle

Can someone tell me all the specs on the wheels.. I am thinking of getting some after market wheels, they must be the same size as some other Nissan model but I can't find any specs. I have never bought wheels for a car before-- but I think that black wheels will look good on my Black Leaf. Any thoughts?

Do take note of the spoke design in your selection of an aftermarket wheel as most will not clear the front brake calipers in the same offset as the stock wheels. I found an older set of forged Rays wheels (TE16, 5-spoke version of the TE37) and should pick them up from being recoated tomorrow. I should gain some range with the lighter weight wheels. Using the tire spec for the weight of the stock tires (weighing a wheel/tire combo), the stock wheels are around 20-21 lbs. The replacement wheels I purchased are 10 lbs each. Also if you select the proper wheel the stock TPMS sensors should transfer over as well. Seeing as my new wheels are 16x7 the stock 205 tires will transfer over just fine and will have a more vertical sidewall. That should also help a little on turn-in if it is noticeable. I planned on posting a new thread when I had them on the car and had a verified weight of the stock wheels unmounted.

please do post the stock wheel weight when you get a chance. I miss my TE37's! After all these years it's still a classy wheel.

Lance's wheels tire choice is definitely accentuating the wheel/tire gap. Yuck!

Skywagon said:
Do take note of the spoke design in your selection of an aftermarket wheel as most will not clear the front brake calipers in the same offset as the stock wheels.
A very good point to keep in mind, though I am not sure about the "most will not clear..." It may well be the case that "...most will clear...", especially considering that cars with 16" wheels these days are likely not to have big honking brake rotors and calipers. But, yes, there is always the possibly of the spokes configuration interfering with static parts.

Skywagon said:
I found an older set of forged Rays wheels (TE16, 5-spoke version of the TE37) and should pick them up from being recoated tomorrow. I should gain some range with the lighter weight wheels.
I would be very interested in your findings in this regards. Please do post your results when you have 'em.

Skywagon said:
Using the tire spec for the weight of the stock tires (weighing a wheel/tire combo), the stock wheels are around 20-21 lbs.
I gather that means the stock wheel-plus-tire weighs in around 42-44 lbs.? (A quick search shows that an all-weather 205/55-16 Kumho weighs about 21 lbs. BTW, What brand and model are the stock tires on your car?

Skywagon said:
The replacement wheels I purchased are 10 lbs each. Also if you select the proper wheel the stock TPMS sensors should transfer over as well. Seeing as my new wheels are 16x7 the stock 205 tires will transfer over just fine and will have a more vertical sidewall. That should also help a little on turn-in if it is noticeable. I planned on posting a new thread when I had them on the car and had a verified weight of the stock wheels unmounted.
That would be useful information.

I have been waiting for a thread where people post photos of there LEAFs with new shoes. Post em up :!:

Caution on Brake parts:
The LEAF has (I am told) much more heavy-duty brakes than most other cars of similar size.

The heavy-duty brake is necessary because the brakes can be the ONLY stopping power on long downhill grades (when Regen is insufficient or NO LONGER available, due to a "full" battery).

So, interference of brake parts and wheel rim spokes could be a significant issue.

Someone needs to take their car to tirerack so they can take measurements to determine what proper offset/caliper clearance is necessary.

That would be a long drive to Indiana!

aqn said:
Skywagon said:
Using the tire spec for the weight of the stock tires (weighing a wheel/tire combo), the stock wheels are around 20-21 lbs.
I gather that means the stock wheel-plus-tire weighs in around 42-44 lbs.? (A quick search shows that an all-weather 205/55-16 Kumho weighs about 21 lbs. BTW, What brand and model are the stock tires on your car?
Stock tires (Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 205/55/R16) are listed as 20 lbs on Tirerack.com. If the stock wheels really come in at 20 lbs - there's a LOT of room for improvement there.

drees said:
aqn said:
Skywagon said:
Stock tires (Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 205/55/R16) are listed as 20 lbs on Tirerack.com. If the stock wheels really come in at 20 lbs - there's a LOT of room for improvement there.

Yep, if that spec is right (and I will verify that in a couple days by weighing a stock unmounted wheel) the wheels are just over 20 lbs. I weighed all 4 of my stock wheels/tires and they were all at 40.5 lbs each. Dropping 4-5 lbs per wheel on a Prius can give 3-4% increase in MPG. I am hoping that this will do that well or maybe a bit more for the LEAF (5-8% increase in range) seeing as I will be dropping around 10 lbs per corner. Most lighter wheels in the 16"x6.5" - 16"x7" sizes are in the 12-14 lb range for aftermarket wheels. I was originally going to go with the Enkei RPF1 (13.7 lbs each) as it is a good weight loss for the price. I was fortunate to locate a set of very rare Volk Rays wheels that are even lighter (3.7 lbs per corner lighter) and I will have not much difference in money in them after recoating vs a new set of RPF1's.

I honestly do not see how it could make that much difference. Yes, there would be less rotational mass and inertia to overcome when you accelerate (though you get some of that back through regeneration), but not enough I should think to make more than a barely measurable difference. And at a steady speed, it would have even less impact. It would help suspension compliance and handling more than anything else I should think (unsprung weight).

Skywagon said:
Yep, if that spec is right (and I will verify that in a couple days by weighing a stock unmounted wheel) the wheels are just over 20 lbs. I weighed all 4 of my stock wheels/tires and they were all at 40.5 lbs each. Dropping 4-5 lbs per wheel on a Prius can give 3-4% increase in MPG. I am hoping that this will do that well or maybe a bit more for the LEAF (5-8% increase in range) seeing as I will be dropping around 10 lbs per corner.

I would really like to see a LEAF with RPF1's! It's an amazingly light wheel for the price. It would look great in +2 and might still give a total weight savings in that size. Low RR tires are pretty common in different sizes so it could work well.

TRONZ said:
I would really like to see a LEAF with RPF1's! It's an amazingly light wheel for the price. It would look great in +2 and might still give a total weight savings in that size. Low RR tires are pretty common in different sizes so it could work well.

I doubt you will see an advantage going with plus sizing for a couple reasons. First off, the majority of the mass and inertia of a wheel is in the rim. Moving it outward does negate any total mass losses. Also, tires as efficient as the ones on the LEAF are not available in the larger size. Plus going with a shorter sidewall will only hurt ride, but it will help on turn-in, if that is your goal as well. I have a set of Forged 18" Rays wheels for another car that weigh 16 lbs each. I mounted them on the LEAF as they did fit but they looked so stupid that I immediately too them back off.

Skywagon said:
I doubt you will see an advantage going with plus sizing for a couple reasons. First off, the majority of the mass and inertia of a wheel is in the rim. Moving it outward does negate any total mass losses. Also, tires as efficient as the ones on the LEAF are not available in the larger size. Plus going with a shorter sidewall will only hurt ride, but it will help on turn-in, if that is your goal as well. I have a set of Forged 18" Rays wheels for another car that weigh 16 lbs each. I mounted them on the LEAF as they did fit but they looked so stupid that I immediately too them back off.

Also, most plus sized tires of the same model will weigh more. Searching tirerack for a lrr in sizes 205/50r17 or 215/45r17 shows tires ranging from 20-24 lbs. But imo, plus sizing sure looks better.

How about this plus1 combination from Tirerack.

wheel:Kosei K1 17x7 14.1LB ($784)
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=TS115LG&wheelMake=Kosei&wheelModel=K1+TS&wheelFinish=Light+Grey+Painted&showRear=no&autoMake=Mazda&autoModel=Mazda3+5-Door&autoYear=2011&autoModClar=s+Sport&filterFinish=All&filterSize=17&filterBrand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Weight

Tire:205/50ZR17 20LB ($524)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS&partnum=05WR7ECDWSXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Back