Exact wheel size and aftermarket wheels

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SteveInSeattle said:
OK, maybe this is a dumb question, maybe not... since I want black wheels on my black Leaf and don't particularly want to change size, can the stock wheels be refinished and painted?

Powder coating would be more likely to give the most durable (and at the same time attractive) finish. But, yes, definitely possible.

Skywagon said:
TRONZ said:
I would really like to see a LEAF with RPF1's! It's an amazingly light wheel for the price. It would look great in +2 and might still give a total weight savings in that size. Low RR tires are pretty common in different sizes so it could work well.

I doubt you will see an advantage going with plus sizing for a couple reasons. First off, the majority of the mass and inertia of a wheel is in the rim. Moving it outward does negate any total mass losses. Also, tires as efficient as the ones on the LEAF are not available in the larger size. Plus going with a shorter sidewall will only hurt ride, but it will help on turn-in, if that is your goal as well. I have a set of Forged 18" Rays wheels for another car that weigh 16 lbs each. I mounted them on the LEAF as they did fit but they looked so stupid that I immediately too them back off.

What combinations of tire/wheel size/offsets that are available to the LEAF and still maintain speedometer accuracy? When I previously upgraded my wheels/tires from stock, I also observed trying to keep speedometer accuracy as best as I possibly could.

It would be great if:
1) We have some combinations offered on this thread with their speedometer error rates listed.
2) Some actual pictures with the aftermarket wheels/tires! :)

mxp said:
It would be great if:
1) We have some combinations offered on this thread with their speedometer error rates listed.
2) Some actual pictures with the aftermarket wheels/tires! :)
Ask and it shall be given!

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3184&start=0

aqn said:
mxp said:
It would be great if:
This Wheel/Tire Calculator will give you a (probably pretty close) idea of what to expect from different wheel/tire sizes in terms of wheel diameter, speedometer error, etc.

Thanks for the calc Andy. And thanks to Glenn for the link to the thread with pics.

I purchased aftermarket rims last year before my first winter. Thinking the stock (funky, but not my favourite) rims were good for all season, I put Hakkapeliitta R snows on the stock rims and put the Ecopias on to FAST rims. I read all the stuff about light weight, but as most of my driving (and range concerns) is with highway driving (steady state; little stop/start), I figured if the wheels are of similar weight as the stock wheels it should not be an issue. I have not experienced any range issues afaik.

Now I have a unique example of an already unique car!

Hakkapeliitta R low rolling resistance snow tires: http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11949" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Attachments

• BEV Side Summer Shoes.jpg
    BEV Side Summer Shoes.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 56
Skywagon said:
Yep, if that spec is right (and I will verify that in a couple days by weighing a stock unmounted wheel) the wheels are just over 20 lbs.
I read though the rest of this thread and no one reported the weight of a 16" LEAF wheel. Can anyone confirm what it is please?

Thank you, that's a great list!

My Honda Fit EV wheels are only 16.6 lbs. :)

15825763_10208444557291718_7370740099550720316_n_zpsu2h2fg8o.jpg

Back