Exact wheel size and aftermarket wheels

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skywagon said:
Dropping 4-5 lbs per wheel on a Prius can give 3-4% increase in MPG. I am hoping that this will do that well or maybe a bit more for the LEAF (5-8% increase in range) seeing as I will be dropping around 10 lbs per corner.
So what is the downside? If there isn't any, why haven't Toyota and Nissan already done this?

Thanks, Wayne

wwhitney said:
So what is the downside? If there isn't any, why haven't Toyota and Nissan already done this?
Lighter wheels are generally more expensive to make while retaining durability. Cosmetics are also an issue - in general the more material you remove from the wheel the less "room" you have for modifying the design of the wheel to make it look the way you want.

This has been helpful. I have always heard that less unsprung weight is best. I think OEM goes for a balance of cost and durability instead of minimal weight, and most cars come with optional wheel packages, so the better ones are available to those that want to pay the premium.

In terms of Low Rolling Resistance Tires, I'd actually rather go with something with better grip-- unless LRR tires have improved considerably, I didn't like them at all on my Gen 1 Prius.

I look forward to specifics when people start getting some of these and post photos.

And BTW, the same "low rolling resistance" tire is available in a "summer" flavor, the Ecopia EP100, which has bigger, more contiguous tread blocks all the way across the tread. It looks to be the (relatively) higher performing version.

aqn said:
And BTW, the same "low rolling resistance" tire is available in a "summer" flavor, the Ecopia EP100, which has bigger, more contiguous tread blocks all the way across the tread. It looks to be the (relatively) higher performing version.

That would likely be what I'd replace the 422 tires with...thought I don't know if I could wait 65k miles!
EP100: http://www.bridgestonetire.com/productdetails/TireSubBrand/Ecopia_EP100

Electric4Me said:
That would likely be what I'd replace the 422 tires with...thought I don't know if I could wait 65k miles!
Yeah, that's the thing about these all-season low rolling resistance tires: they appear to have wear characteristics of the tires on Fred Flintstone's vehicle!

I suppose a somewhat non-green (and definitely non-economical) solution would be to immediately replace one's brand-new EP422's with EP100's and sell the EP422's. Brand-new EP422's list for $92/each at tirerack.com; I suppose pricing a set of four almost-brand new EP422's at $300 including shipping would see them out the door in no time.

aqn said:
Electric4Me said:
Yeah, that's the thing about these all-season low rolling resistance tires: they appear to have wear characteristics of the tires on Fred Flintstone's vehicle!

I suppose a somewhat non-green (and definitely non-economical) solution would be to immediately replace one's brand-new EP422's with EP100's and sell the EP422's. Brand-new EP422's list for $92/each at tirerack.com; I suppose pricing a set of four almost-brand new EP422's at $300 including shipping would see them out the door in no time.

Do yo think how muck I can ask for Leaf's almost-brand new a sets of four wheel and tire.

ht2,
Perhaps offer them individually to those LEAF owners who want a matching spare?
How much for one Original LEAF rim & tire assembly?

The LEAF does not come with a jack.
Are the jack-points described in the manual?

GM uses lightweight forged aluminum wheels on the Volt and the Eco version of the Cruze.. the tires have less material than normal to save weight also.

http://gm-volt.com/2008/12/20/gm-has-selected-alcoa-forged-aluminum-wheels-for-the-chevy-volt/

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20100420006345/en/Chevrolet-Selects-Alcoa-Forged-Aluminum-Wheels-2011

"The seventeen-inch wheels fitted to Cruze Eco weigh just 17.8 lbs."

Does Greyhound Bus Lines still carry bulky items at a reasonable price Station-to-Station?
I will try Google.

UPS Ground is about $33 for a 50 pound package.
The bus is almost twice that, so forget the Bus.

ht2 said:
Do yo think how muck I can ask for Leaf's almost-brand new a sets of four wheel and tire.
garygid said:
ht2,
Perhaps offer them individually to those LEAF owners who want a matching spare?
Great idea! I'm down for one.

garygid said:
The LEAF does not come with a jack.
Are the jack-points described in the manual?
The owner's manual? In the "Repairing flat tire" section, there is copious instructions on how to use the fix-a-flat bottle in conjunction with the plug-in tire pump, but nothing on jack points.

There's a guy on here ("mogur") who has a LEAF "service manual". There might be something about jack points in there.

Does the tire pump work WITHOUT the "gunk" bottle?

Has anybody tried it?

I perfer to jack up the tire, remove, plug the hole, re-inflate, and remount.

Or, jack up and swap tires.

garygid said:
Does Greyhound Bus Lines still carry bulky items at a reasonable price Station-to-Station?
I will try Google.

UPS Ground is about $33 for a 50 pound package.
The bus is almost twice that, so forget the Bus.

Well either of us could take a trip up there....it's only the valley. Not necessarily in the LEAF though. A job for ICE methinks.

garygid said:
Does the tire pump work WITHOUT the "gunk" bottle?

Has anybody tried it?

I perfer to jack up the tire, remove, plug the hole, re-inflate, and remount.

Or, jack up and swap tires.

Likewise, and I hope so. Except I would just plug the hole without removing the tire. Actually, I've done it before without even removing the wheel from the car. I know it's not the recommended way, but I've used tire plugs exclusively for donkey's years without incident.

mwalsh said:
Except I would just plug the hole without removing the tire. Actually, I've done it before without even removing the wheel from the car. I know it's not the recommended way, but I've used tire plugs exclusively for donkey's years without incident.

Plugs on steel belted radials are a really bad idea.. the tool used MAY fray one of the steel threads, then that piece of steel will work around as you drive the car and eventually it will damage the tire. If there are no steel belts then its no problem.

Good point, but the "nail" migh have damaged the steel belt also. The goo ruins the tire, AND possibly the rim and pressure sensor, ... so an EXPENSIVE option.

How about plugging, then (as soon as is convenient), drive to get the tire inspected and "properly" patched from the inside?

A jack is handy to get the tire off the ground, to rotate it to find the puncture. Removal helps to gain woking access for us "less flexible" folks.

OK, maybe this is a dumb question, maybe not... since I want black wheels on my black Leaf and don't particularly want to change size, can the stock wheels be refinished and painted?

"I see a red door [chrome wheel] and I want it Painted Black!"

Back