Wheel & tyre sizes

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutsodeluxe

Hi everyone - here's a newbie question I hope someone can answer.
My 2019 Ze1 e+G has just arrived from Japan in amazing condition, and with some unexpected extras.
As you'll see from the pic, it has a set of aftermarket alloy wheels, with Bridgestone Regno G-XII 225 /45 R18 tyres.
My first question is: is this the standard size?
Next question: if not, are there any pros or cons of running this size on the Leaf, apart from the aesthetics?
Then comes the other interesting bit - it also came with a 2nd set of very nice wheels & rubber, this time they look like (almost new) Bridgestone Blizzak winter tyres, which won't be much use here in my part of the world, but the size of these is 215/50R17.
So the next question is: which size is best for the car?
I will keep one set and sell the others (and winter tyres) so any advice will be useful in deciding which & why!
Thanks.

Attachments

• LHS profile @ Willy.jpg
    LHS profile @ Willy.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 2nd set wheels.jpg
    2nd set wheels.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Not a tire expert by any means... but here is what I found!
using this site: Tire Size Comparison
for my 2015 Leaf SL, my factory tires are 215/50R17, your 18" tires are only .5" larger in diameter, which I believe is negligible. But the Regno's are .4" wider so you may need to see if you get any rubbing when turned all the way to either side.
As an aside, I was planning on purchasing my next tires at 215/55R17 on my factory rims which is supposed to correct the speedometer which tends to read a little high (seems to be the way the factory likes it) and they run a diameter of 26.3" or .8" larger diameter than stock.
(more here - 215/55 R17 tires on 2015 Leaf )
You may want to check a couple of things. The price of tires in 17 versus 18 inches, here (Canada) larger diameter tires are much more expensive. Also compare the bore hole on the aftermarket wheel to the stock wheel, our factory rims are centered on the bore hole (66.1mm I think) and not using the lug nuts; I much prefer a wheel that uses the proper factory hub-centric mechanism! (I have had aftermarket rims that use a plastic hub ring to try and properly center the wheel, and I really hated them!).

Screenshot-2024-02-07-034418.jpg

215/50/17 is stock so the winter set is fine. 225/45/18 is the appropriate upgrade size. Without going into specific tire choices, the thing that will be impacted is consumption/range due to the extra weight due to heavier wheels (unless they’re forged). Probably negligible unless the wheels are super heavy, but it’s non-zero.

Thank you both for your very helpful replies.
It's good to know the aftermarket wheels and tyres won't do any harm. As far as I can tell, these wheels will be lighter than the stock ones, if anything, so weight shouldn't be an issue either.
As for the winter ones, they'll be sold, as I won't have a use for them.
Thanks again for your help! :)

Attachments

• 20240119_195217.jpg
    20240119_195217.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
I thought I knew how to measure wheels (diameter, width, offset, hub diameter, bolt pattern). But one thing I never considered was whether the wheel would clear the calipers. I have read that wheels from some older Nissans (Sentra?) wheels barely clear the the front calipers although they otherwise bolt up fine.

I believe standard size is 205/55/R16s. Your eighteens look way nicer! I deliberately upgraded to larger wheels to correct an over-reading speedometer and improve looks at the same time. You can read about it here

I believe standard size is 205/55/R16s. Your eighteens look way nicer! I deliberately upgraded to larger wheels to correct an over-reading speedometer and improve looks at the same time. You can read about it here
Thanks for the compliment.
As far as I'm aware the e+G version, which mione is, cam standard with 17 inch wheels and the owner in Japan went one size up.
Funny thing is, they also included a whole set of winter wheels & tyres that are 17s, so I can choose either.
Mind you, it's 37 degrees in Melbourne today, so I won't be needing winter tyres for a while!!!

Hi everyone - here's a newbie question I hope someone can answer.
My 2019 Ze1 e+G has just arrived from Japan in amazing condition, and with some unexpected extras.
As you'll see from the pic, it has a set of aftermarket alloy wheels, with Bridgestone Regno G-XII 225 /45 R18 tyres.
My first question is: is this the standard size?
Next question: if not, are there any pros or cons of running this size on the Leaf, apart from the aesthetics?
Then comes the other interesting bit - it also came with a 2nd set of very nice wheels & rubber, this time they look like (almost new) Bridgestone Blizzak winter tyres, which won't be much use here in my part of the world, but the size of these is 215/50R17.
So the next question is: which size is best for the car?
I will keep one set and sell the others (and winter tyres) so any advice will be useful in deciding which & why!
Thanks.
They could be aftermarket. I recently got snow tires and rims do a 2019 sv. There are generally two sizes of rims. 16” and 17”. With 16” rims (which can be gotten for ~$70 each) you just use taller tires. If you had 18” rims you’d probably just get lower walled tires. But is 255/45 r18 a normal size? Yeah. Low profile but yeah. You can get em. It’s common enough. Ride could be a hair rougher with those. They look a ton nicer than the factory alloys. Probably custom rims. I suspect the other rims are the one the car came with. I suppose it’s better than having no spare at all, but only just barely. Used to be most cars came with full sized spares that were basically a fifth tire. One had them in the rotation and everything. Last car I had with a full sized spare was a 2007 GTI. It came with a “limited service” but there was room for a full so I sold the “limited service” (people buy them! I was amazed it was worth anything at all) and got a real tire.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment.
As far as I'm aware the e+G version, which mione is, cam standard with 17 inch wheels and the owner in Japan went one size up.
Funny thing is, they also included a whole set of winter wheels & tyres that are 17s, so I can choose either.
Mind you, it's 37 degrees in Melbourne today, so I won't be needing winter tyres for a while!!!
If you ever do have to drive on snow the snow tires will be handy. Leafs are small but heavy. You can slide a bit father sideways than you intend with one.

Yep, seventeen is definitely a factory option! Most JDM vehicles have a white sticker on the drivers doorwell that shows what it rolled from the factory with. Here's a photo of mine to illustrate.

wide1.jpg close1.jpg

If you ever do have to drive on snow the snow tires will be handy. Leafs are small but heavy. You can slide a bit father sideways than you intend with one.
A good point, but the last time I drove on snow within 300km of where I live was one day in 2014, so it's not likely.
Melbourne isn't known for its wonderful winters, but snow isn't something we need to worry about.

The Nissan Altima spare tire wheel rim donut T135/90R16 inch OEM 2013 thru 2022 is what I bought which works perfectly.
Thank you for this. I just purchased one for longer trips where it's higher risk if the goop doesn't work or can't be used. On longer trips I'll carry it, otherwise I'll have it brought to the car if it's needed. I was unsure about a 2016 date on the tire but purchased it anyway.

By “goop” I assume you’re referring to those cans of “tire inflator”. They can’t always be cleaned out of a tire after they’re used. I won’t carry em at all. The situations where it’s worth destroying a tire long term to fix a puncture flat just aren’t very high. And they’re not kidding with the “best before” date. You may have to throw away that can unused. I suppose it’s better than nothing at all, but only just barely. Used to be most cars came with full sized spares that were basically a fifth tire. One had them in the rotation and everything. Last car I had with a full sized spare was a 2007 GTI. It came with a “limited service” but there was room for a full so I sold the “limited service” (people buy them! I was amazed it was worth anything at all! I wouldn’t have paid a dime for that piece of garbage) and got a real tire.

Last edited:
A good point, but the last time I drove on snow within 300km of where I live was one day in 2014, so it's not likely.
Melbourne isn't known for its wonderful winters, but snow isn't something we need to worry about.
lol. Lots of places don’t need that. I’d be surprised if there were any snow tires IN Australia. You likely won’t be needing to do that at all. All seasons that specialize in rain may not be the worst idea though. Or you can use summer tires all year. I dunno. Someone will have worked out what is needed for your area long ago. It’s a front wheel drive car that has unusually even weight distribution but is heavy for its size. So on heavy snow and ice that means snow tires, or all seasons specialized for snow. With no snow and ice it’s not an issue.

Wider lower profile tire is likely to 'stick' better on dry pavement, handle more precisely, but probably be worse in heavy rain, and seriously worse in snow.
IMO, they may ride noticeably worse, possibly more noisy, and may get worse mileage but that is dependent on a number of other factors.

I have Blizzaks on stock 15" rims and summer tires on 17" rims. The Blizzaks are remarkable in snow, way better than most 'all weather' tires.
Surprisingly, they are quieter, get better mileage, and ride better. They just wear out (way) faster, and are not as good on dry pavement.
I'm no longer in the "got to look good" to drive it category and comfort be damned.

By “goop” I assume you’re referring to those cans of “tire inflator”. They can’t always be cleaned out of a tire after they’re used. I won’t carry em at all. The situations where it’s worth destroying a tire long term to fix a puncture flat just aren’t very high. And they’re not kidding with the “best before” date. You may have to throw away that can unused. I suppose it’s better than nothing at all, but only just barely. Used to be most cars came with full sized spares that were basically a fifth tire. One had them in the rotation and everything. Last car I had with a full sized spare was a 2007 GTI. It came with a “limited service” but there was room for a full so I sold the “limited service” (people buy them! I was amazed it was worth anything at all! I wouldn’t have paid a dime for that piece of garbage) and got a real tire.
I recently bought a 2003 BMW 530i and was amazed to find that the spare is a completely unused Pirelli on a magnificent, pristine one of these!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 2.51.17 pm.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 2.51.17 pm.png
    279.2 KB · Views: 0
Cool! Full service spare. Needs to be in the tire rotation. Apparently the former owner didn’t do that. Dumb.

Back