EVSE Installation, Info and Cost Comparison Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why call?
Because Nissan asks us to do so.

Nissan MIGHT need to set a "Bypass-AV" bit in their database to allow you to order ... but I doubt it.

However, it does seem that EVProject people are being/will be handled differently, and other "Not-AV people" will apparently need to sign a "waiver" of some kind.

garygid said:
Why call?
Because Nissan asks us to do so.

Nissan MIGHT need to set a "Bypass-AV" bit in their database to allow you to order ... but I doubt it.

However, it does seem that EVProject people are being/will be handled differently, and other "Not-AV people" will apparently need to sign a "waiver" of some kind.

That has nothing to do with what EVSE you use it has to do with signing the waiver or having the assessment. I have done the assessment but will be requesting a refund on the fee as it has been months and they still have not corrected my bid as promised.

garygid said:
They say that if you decide to use other than AV, call their 1-877-664-2738 (LEAF Customer Service) number. There, they did not seem to know what to do about it.
Emphasis mine. :lol:

EVDRIVER said:
Why call? Just buy an EVSE, install it and be done.
My guess is that the idea is to tell you if the unit you plan on getting is compatible. Problem is, their customer service line people are so totally clueless that it's a joke. (See Gary's comment above.)

I agree on not buying from AV even if the price of their unit is competitive. They are just too sleazy all around. The good thing is that Nissan is not requiring us to buy from AV or even use an EVSE. Now if Nissan would just pick another supplier to promote, and warn people away from AV!

garygid said:
Has anybody (who has actually received an AV bid) gotten their "non-refundable" $100 back yet?

First person to get it back gets a Prize. :)
I believe the deal was if you have them install, you are credited the $100 (off their criminally inflated price) but that if you do not have them install, they keep the hundred bucks.

Hello,
I just got approved by the EV project so I asked the question, Nissan is requiring a "waiver" be signed if we choose an EVSE other that the recommended AV one. Since the EV project is using Ecotality what is their position on this waver? Answer: "We don't know anything about the waiver." There are rumors that the waiver is about the battery warrantee or the EVSE and installation warrantee. The only thing I know for sure is, only Nissan knows and they ain't sayin'.........yet.

Man...I really wish I could be an EV project site...free EVSE, upgraded LEAF with level 3 charger for free...grrrr...

They should have more varied test locations...I'm willing to help them out by being a test site for Central New Mexico...Solar on the roof, plenty of space in my 200amp panel...wireless internet and all that...come on, Ecotality, happy to help you out with gathering EV usage.

Gavin

Bowthom said:
There are rumors that the waiver is about the battery warrantee
There are NO rumors about this except by people (sorry Bowthom) who are trying to start such a rumor.

It is absolutely established that not having AV install your EVSE means the AV (not Nissan) on-site replacement warranty is not in effect. Instead, if you buy the AV EVSE and install it yourself (or have your own electrician install it) then you only have a mail-in warranty on the EVSE that does not include labor or shipping/handling.

Gavin said:
Man...I really wish I could be an EV project site...free EVSE, upgraded LEAF with level 3 charger for free...grrrr...

They should have more varied test locations...I'm willing to help them out by being a test site for Central New Mexico...Solar on the roof, plenty of space in my 200amp panel...wireless internet and all that...come on, Ecotality, happy to help you out with gathering EV usage.

Gavin

Yeah, Ecotality! Here to! Gotta show the love to the politicians! Nothing better than me motoring along South Capitol St., flaunting the EV life!

Thanks for the overview of the lingo and the explanation of "EVSE."

Sounds like this is an issue with evolving solutions. I will likely go for Leviton, which as I understand is not available yet.

I am in Orange County, CA. Has anyone gotten notification yet about a contract for a car? I got a notice saying I could order in September but nothing more specific.

I contacted Connell Nissan of Costa Mesa which said it has a 1000 below MSRP offer.

From what I know about the waiver - Nissan wants to make sure the buyer is genuine and doesn't want to just flip the car on ebay.

So, I'd recommend that anyone who has not scheduled an assessment (and not in EV Project) give them a call.

evnow said:
From what I know about the waiver - Nissan wants to make sure the buyer is genuine and doesn't want to just flip the car on ebay.

So, I'd recommend that anyone who has not scheduled an assessment (and not in EV Project) give them a call.[/quote

There is no waiver yet per Nissan and if there is it will come later at the reservations, that is the latest info from Nissan chat as of today.

evnow said:
EVDRIVER said:
Anyone can tip off ABG about this as it is a real and valid story....

Just sent a tip.

So, they have put it up ... will it make any diff ?

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/08/30/future-leaf-owners-revolt-over-aerovironments-outrageous-charge/

Good for you forum members (perhaps EVNow) for tipping off the "press." Here is an online article: http://green.autoblog.com/2010/08/30/future-leaf-owners-revolt-over-aerovironments-outrageous-charge/

I talked to Nissan today about my high AV quote. The phone rep at first said that if I have my own electrician install the AV EVSE then I would not get a warranty. Then he checked and said I would not get the in-home extended warranty. He didn't know what type of warranty I would get. He did say that if I have the AV EVSE installed by someone other than AV, my vehicle warranty could be affected. I asked why that would be since the whole point of the EVSE is to cut the power if it threatens the vehicle. He just kept saying that Nissan hasn't released the final warranty yet and that non AV EVSE's could also void the warranty.

I'm assuming he is just clueless, but sure doesn't make me happy to hear that. I wish Nissan would take a clear position on the EVSE issue. I guess if we get the Leviton unit, Nissan would have to test/certify it before they would allow us to hook up our vehicles? Nissan is trying to make it easy for consumers (to just choose their preferred EVSE supplier) but they need to open up the selection and not lock us down to just 1 company. Frustrating.

-Peter

prberg said:
I talked to Nissan today about my high AV quote. The phone rep at first said that if I have my own electrician install the AV EVSE then I would not get a warranty. Then he checked and said I would not get the in-home extended warranty. He didn't know what type of warranty I would get. He did say that if I have the AV EVSE installed by someone other than AV, my vehicle warranty could be affected. I asked why that would be since the whole point of the EVSE is to cut the power if it threatens the vehicle. He just kept saying that Nissan hasn't released the final warranty yet and that non AV EVSE's could also void the warranty.

I'm assuming he is just clueless, but sure doesn't make me happy to hear that. I wish Nissan would take a clear position on the EVSE issue. I guess if we get the Leviton unit, Nissan would have to test/certify it before they would allow us to hook up our vehicles? Nissan is trying to make it easy for consumers (to just choose their preferred EVSE supplier) but they need to open up the selection and not lock us down to just 1 company. Frustrating.

-Peter

No way will it void your warranty, even a bad EVSE could not harm the car. I wish everyone would stop being concerned about this. Ask yourself this simple, logical question. Will the warranty be voided if you charge at a public charging station? NO! Besides there is absolutely NO way they will know what type of EVSE you charge on, there is no encoding device that tracks EVSE models- LOL! You could jam two wires into the port and give it false pilot signal and it wont harm the car, the charger is in control. There is nothing to be frustrated about except mis quotes and bad information from script readers.

EVDRIVER said:
prberg said:

-Peter

I wish everyone would stop being concerned about this..

I can understand why people are concerned; this is Nissan's recommended contractor and we have all paid $100 for this quote. And this is what they are telling us when we call about it as we have been directed to do.

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect accurate information from this Nissan-designated process.

After an earlier posting and finding there may be a free job or a credit from the BACMD, plus the federal tax credit, I changed my mind and had the estimate done. I was surprised the estimate was what it was . The estimator was very friendly, and implied the work to be done was not 'rocket science.'

I do not know what I will do beside pay the $100.00 estimate fee and follow this thread. If the cost comes down to about $500.00 after various tax credits and or rebates , it's a for sure, but $1425, well I will think about that.

Back