DFW Metroplex

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had my state safety inspection. Surprised that it was only $14.50, since no emissions test. I wanted them to connect to the OBD port, to see what they would see, but they don't even try it. The four guys there were interested to hear about $199 lease deals.

garygTx said:
Just had my state safety inspection. Surprised that it was only $14.50, since no emissions test. I wanted them to connect to the OBD port, to see what they would see, but they don't even try it. The four guys there were interested to hear about $199 lease deals.

SAY WHAT?!?!? I paid 34.00 in October at Courtesy Nissan for my state inspection. Where did you get it done?

vrwl said:
garygTx said:

SAY WHAT?!?!? I paid 34.00 in October at Courtesy Nissan for my state inspection. Where did you get it done?

The key word there is "Courtesy": you'd think an actual Nissan dealer would know not to charge for the emissions part of a Leaf inspection, but Courtesy Nissan is more interested in collecting money than doing the right thing.

Stanton said:
vrwl said:
garygTx said:

The key word there is "Courtesy": you'd think an actual Nissan dealer would know not to charge for the emissions part of a Leaf inspection, but Courtesy Nissan is more interested in collecting money than doing the right thing.

Yep, and that's the reason I'll never go back. :)

I went to a local quick lube. It was the first electric car they had ever done.

By the way, they charge $49 for a cabin air filter change. I last had it done at the dealer, but may not the next time.

vrwl said:

yup, $14.50 for my inspection last week. Just so you know, it is ILLEGAL in the state of texas to overcharge for a state inspection (I should know my work helps with state inspection stuff for air quality purposes). That price is completely set by the state. Now they could have tact on another "service" to bump up the price (i.e. fill fluids, rotate tires, whatever). But if the inspection was all that was truely done - it should have been only $14.50 (that is the safety inspection only - no air quality check needed), you can get them in alot of trouble if they overcharge you for a state inspection - those bills are directly reinburst by the state and they track that money.

Here's a copy of the invoice I received. They ripped me off on both parts of the service, on the 1 year service (battery check and tire rotation) and then also on the state inspection.

2011LeafInspectionCharge.jpg

I'd like to point out that dealerships (stealerships) are pretty evil for the most part, I could easily chalk this up to a mistake. I mean, how often do they have cars come in that have a different price for an inspection? Sort of like when I go to Jack in the Box and SPECIFICALLY ask not to have mayo put on my hamburger, I still end up with may anyway. Most likely because the cooks are just used to putting it on there and don't pay any attention to the order.

The part that's annoying about this is that they have a SKU for "Inspection Safety Only" but yet that SKU pulls the 34.00 charge. I'm thinking about marching down there and asking for a refund, 6 months after it happened.

I think you should. And you should ask why were you charged for the 'free' annual battery inspection. They charge 17.95 for a tire rotation, so how did they come up with 69.95?

I got my car there, but almost walked out due to the pressure to buy an extended warrenty/maintenance. I didn't want 3 years of free oil changes on my 'special car'. That was how the business office guy described it.

its FRIDAY!

Three modifications, one removal, and two new stations.

Modifications:
Whole Foods (ChargePoint) - name changed to Whole Foods - Fairview
Park Central - 789 (Garage 7) (Blink) - station increased from one to two
Park Central - 789 (Garage 8) (Blink) - station incresed from two to three

New:
Whole Foods – Dallas
ChargePoint – One Level 2 (J1772)
5100 Belt Line Road
Dallas, TX 75254

TI South Campus Lot #1
Blink – Five Level 2 (J1772)
12500 TI Boulevard
Dallas, TX 75266
RESTRICTED ACCESS (4 of 5)

Also, I am taking my car into for service next monday (24th). It will be my yearly battery check-up, I should have over 40k miles on the car. We shall see if I get a lashing on my battery health report. Because my range has drop so significantly, I cannot charge to 80% anymore, I frequently "top off" since I need every electron of juice, and I am notorious with my DC charging use (multiple times per day sometimes, and sometimes charging to 100%). We shall see if this reflects in my battery report at all since I need to be abusive to do my normal usage. In addition, I will be getting the battery gauage software update. We shall see if I get a bar back (doubt it since I am about to loose the 3rd) and/or if I get any more range out of it (some people think there might be a slight increase in range).

Just a heads up on this. Every year Pantego Bible Church hosts a car show on
father's day in the parking lot. I've brought our EVs the last 2 years and
they've been a pretty big hit. Last year our Volt won a trophy for "Best new
Car."

This year we'll have 3 EVs:

Nissan Leaf
Chevy Volt
Tesla Model-S

This show gets bigger each year. I think we had about 2,500 visitors last year.
This year I wouldn't be surprised to see 3,000. Lots of people will be
stopping by asking about the cars. By the way, if anyone has something they
think would be cool, it may not be too late to sign up to bring it. A Tesla
Roadster would be a great addition, if anyone knows anyone.

Here's the address:

Pantego Bible Church
8001 Anderson Blvd
Ft. Worth, Texas 76120

Show starts at 9:00 and runs until around 1:00. Free hot dogs and drinks are
provided to all guests.

Friday updates!

No new stations this week but 4 modifications:

Hotel Palomar (blink) is no longer listed as a restricted station
Hotel Lumen (blink) is not restricted
Garland Animal Control (blink) is now restricted
Garland Gasoline Alley (blink) is now restricted

That's all for this week!

So I had my 2 year battery inspection and the reprogram done yesterday.

Battery inspection: Despite my hopes and dreams that a battery module was bad, the battery came back fine (darn). All 5 stars in every category except the topping off (it was only 4 stars) - which I do frequently because I need all the juice I can get. Odd that I didn't get smacked for my excessive QC use. It makes me wonder if I abuse it this much what it takes to even get a 3 star in one category?

Reprogram: I didn't get any capacity bars back, which I figured would happen anyways since I was near my third loss bar. On the flip side, I did get range (or at least the car is reporting more range). My GOM hit the upper 70's for the first time since last fall (76). Take this into account I drive south in the evening - yesterday it was a southern wind @ 30 mph gust so I should have shown even less range. My current average is the low 60's (63 or 64). Driving to work today I made it on 5 bars, not something I have done since early winter. In fact I almost made it on 4 bars, something I haven't done since the previous spring! So from this limited test (so far) the GOM is showing more range, and I am getting to destinations on less bars. Some have reported that it eventually goes away, so I am curious if mine will as well.

Hmmm....I like seeing the range in the 70's again. To bad It wasn't like the good 'ol times in the 80's for range (ahh to drive a new LEAF).

One year ago today, I bought my LEAF. Here's what's happened since then:

6390 miles driven since July 1 (when I set up and started measuring data via Carwings)
1428 kWh of electricity consumed
142.8 dollars spent in electricity
Electricity cost to drive = $0.02 per mile
4131 tons of CO2 emissions saved from polluting the air
241 hours driving time
Average driving speed: 26.5 miles/hour
Average efficiency: 4.47 miles/kWh

I still have 12 bars but I'm pretty sure I'll lose one this summer. Overall, very happy with the car for my needs, but not so happy with the way Nissan has handled battery issues. Also not happy with the overall knowledge by dealership staff regarding these cars. Nissan needs to make improvements in both these areas.

Friday updates!

Today was a big day, the first non-eVgo DC fast station was built in the metroplex (by blink). Currently, use of the station is free, but it is listed as restricted (don't ask me what that means...its supposed to be in the parking lot). In addition, it is listed as "unavailable" on blink's map. Unfortunately, those that use blink a lot knows that many times this means diddly squat (stations that are "up" are down and "down" stations are usable). So use at your own risk! Modified the charging ccompany google doc to reflect Blink's DC fast charging ability in DFW.

Two modifications and three new stations:

Modifications:
TI South Lot #1 (Blink) - all stations are now restricted (was 3 out of 4)
TI Baylor Health Center (Blink) - one station is now restricted from the 2 there, icon changed as well to reflect restricted status

New stations:

TI Spring Creek Bldg 1 West Lot
Blink – Four Level 2 (J1772)
6500 Chase Oaks Boulevard
Plano, TX 75023
RESTRICTED ACCESS (4 OF 4)

TI South Building Parking Garage
Blink – Four Level 2 (J1772)
12500 TI Boulevard
Drive Q
Dallas, TX 75243
RESTRICTED ACCESS (4 OF 4)

Bass Pro Shop Parking Lot (Garland)
Blink – Two DC Fast (CHAdeMO), Two Level 2 (J1772)
4821 Bass Pro Drive
Garland, TX 75043
RESTRICTED ACCESS [2 (DC FAST) OF 4]

Bass Pro Shop Parking Lot (Garland)
Blink – Two DC Fast (CHAdeMO), Two Level 2 (J1772)
4821 Bass Pro Drive
Garland, TX 75043
RESTRICTED ACCESS [2 (DC FAST) OF 4]

Wow, I need to try this charger! I don't know when I will though, as I don't want to QC when the battery is over 90 degrees.

Back