DFW Metroplex

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats so strange it was requiring a key fob, especially since they are free to the public (although after the first year I believe City of Dallas will start charging). It appears these charging stations are the same design that eVgo uses, which makes sense since their chargers are Aerovironment, and its exactly like the level 2 found in Addison by them. I wonder if the eVgo key fob would have worked......hmmmm.....

Regardless its not owned by eVgo, its owned by TXU energy through one of their green programs, partnering with the City of Dallas. TXU should be the ones supplying any fobs and/or making sure these are accessible. I suggest we write into TXU and ask them whats up and why we can't charge!!!

mkjayakumar said:
What was your round trip distance ? Do you think you would have made it without the charge in the auto show?

Yes, I would have made it. It was about 72 miles round trip. If I had not gotten a charge, I would have driven home the same way I came, using side-streets, in ECO mode, and the air conditioner off.

Pipcecil said:
Regardless its not owned by eVgo, its owned by TXU energy through one of their green programs, partnering with the City of Dallas. TXU should be the ones supplying any fobs and/or making sure these are accessible. I suggest we write into TXU and ask them whats up and why we can't charge!!!

Great.. but who would we write to? I thought about calling TXU or the city of Dallas.. but I suspected that whoever I ended up talking with would have no idea what I'm talking about.

Good to know these might be available! I also saw some are going into Fair Park...

If anyone discovers anything about accessing these please post it here. I scoured the news articles and nothing even suggests that these stations would be locked although it makes sense that they have some pay-for-use tech built in for future use. I sent an email to a council member to see if they have any insight. I'll post the response here if I get one.

I called through TXU's myrid phone system and think I got ahold of a number of someone who may be responsible. I ended up having to go through TXU's business side, since it was their program that installed the chargers. The guy on the phone took about 10 minutes to get his supervisor and figure out who to send me to.

Anyways, I ended up with a number to Amanda Ray. I haven't talked to her directly but left a message. I am assuming this person is in charge of the charging station program or could easily point us to the right person. I have her number so if anyone wants to help call and ask, just PM me. I don't want to post her number on a board since its her direct line.

It looks like we are coming at this from a couple of angles, so hopefully someone will finally come up with something.

HOW TO USE THE DOWNTOWN DALLAS CHARGERS

I got an answer to this question from the Person who is in Charge of the Chargers in the Equipment and
Building Services Department (that would fill up a name badge).

Turns out that the procedure adric22 used is the correct procedure!
  • Call the number on the charging unit
  • If asked, say the provider is TXU and the unit number (they are managed by AeroVironment)
  • Operator will remote-activate the charger

They are free for one year and more are coming this summer!

seems way archaic and difficult just to access those chargers. Implemintation = F. Seriously, adric22 had to wait 20 minutes or so, definetely not streamlined. Well when my work gets the offical response from TXU/City of Dallas on how to access those chargers from the higher ups, if its this difficult we may get involved to solve this issue. There is a current policy for EV charging that stations need to either be "plug-and-go" or accessible via card or other easier method so time invested is minimal...this could violate that policy, especially if the City of Dallas has fobs to accesss them for their own vehicles. But sometimes the City of Dallas is quite beligerant.

Interesting Sierra you got in touch with the Building Services Department and got a response. I started with the head of that department and the person assured me, 100% positive, there were no such things as "electric vehicle charging stations" and he was not aware of any installation take place in the future. :shock: Yea....way to be organized.

Sounds like a silly way of accessing the charging stations. Our experience in downtown McKinney was similar. We drove up from Dallas hoping to charge at the downtown library while having dinner a few blocks away. The station there is also Aerovironment, so we thought our eVgo fob would work. The fob did activate it, but would not unlock the door so we were unable to charge and had a difficult time making it home (with a few stops at other stations on the way home). After a follow up email I learned that fobs will be issued to McKinney residents upon signing a waiver, with free charging available only to them. At a later date, a card/swipe arrangement will be made to charge the public for usage.

Are there any public charging stations on the west side of Fort Worth? I'll be driving out from downtown Dallas (44 miles) and was hoping to find a plug to charge while I'm at an event.

dfwcre8tive said:
Are there any public charging stations on the west side of Fort Worth? I'll be driving out from downtown Dallas (44 miles) and was hoping to find a plug to charge while I'm at an event.
Fort Worth is a virtual desert for charging stations. There are only 2 and one of those is a Nissan dealership. You can check the map here.

You can come charge at my place if you need.. I'm listed on PlugShare, but I'm just south of Ft.Worth.
SierraQ said:
HOW TO USE THE DOWNTOWN DALLAS CHARGERS

I got an answer to this question from the Person who is in Charge of the Chargers in the Equipment and
Building Services Department (that would fill up a name badge).
As for this.. Quite ridiculous. I would AT MINIMUM somebody needs to use a nice label-maker or something and print out a label saying something like:

"This charger free for use. To use, call customer service number and provide serial# and mention TXU is the provider."

Had I known about the TXU thing that would have saved me 30 minutes of frustration because the people at aerovironment seem to have two different databases and by default they assume they need to look up the serial number in the NRG database.

@dfwcre8tive - besides the 2 dealerships, there really is only one good one in west fort worth. There is a chargepoint station in the Trinity Commons shopping center, which is off of Hulen Street and Bellaire just west of TCU. The shopping center has a tomb thumb and other various stores. The EVSE is located on the back side of the chipolte building (which is in the center of the parking lot).

It seems like these things are getting out of hand with the independent chargers. At least blink and chargepoint are consistant, but these idependent aerovironment ones are sucking it up in access.

dfwcre8tive said:
Sounds like a silly way of accessing the charging stations. Our experience in downtown McKinney was similar.

I totally agree: why is Texas so "anti-EV"? When someone brings the city into the 21st Century (like not having to CALL to activate a charger), I'll drive downtown and check them out.

well just doing a little more digging into the issue, it seems the EVSEs in McKinney are through the same TXU program. So in essence, its TXU's program that is messing things up. Luckly they only have 2 charging locations (mckinney and dallas) so its not too much of a pain. I am working through my work's ev committee to see if we can't address this issue for fob access and the like.

Here is AeroVironment'sresponse to my email about the network:

Thank you for your interest in joining the AV Charging Network. At this time, the network is only available in the Northwest (Oregon and Washington). Once the network becomes available in your area, we will let you know.

Thank you again.

AV Customer Service

http://www.evsolutions.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facebook: AeroVironmentEV
Twitter: AeroVironmentEV

I suspect one hand does not about the other hand at AeroVironment.

Got my reply from TXU:

"As we discussed, the city of Dallas is still working out some details on how to allow public access, while still keeping the station secure. We’re working with the city and the charging station vendor, Aerovironment EV Solutions, to set up a fob program. This is not set yet, but we believe that access could be as easy as dialing a phone number on the charger so an Aerovironment rep could take a name and address, remotely ‘open’ the station for that use, and then mail the user a key fob that could be used for future access (so you don’t have to call the station each time). NCTCOG probably shouldn’t show them as ‘open for public use’ until the city actually posts that phone number and that system, or a similar system, is in place.

The City of McKinney is a similar story. The phone number and instructions should be available soon.

The good news is that the City of Dallas and McKinney, and others we may add on the same programs, should be on the same Aerovironment fob program. We should probably update the group at a future EVNT meeting when this settles. Thanks for reaching out!"

So it looks like the City of McKinney and City of Dallas put the cart before the horse (which is funny because both, especially the Dallas one, was opened with much fanfare). While I do like the initiative that anyone can step up and get a fob after visiting the station, it would be nice if a fob could be ordered before arrive at a station, I think plug in people think a little farther ahead than, "oh look there is a public EVSE, lets stop there to charge." The silver lining is, at least, they are aware of the issue and are working on it with the bonus that its not separate cities with different fobs, but all one system! So McKinney and Dallas fobs would work on each other (and any other city that joined).

Pipcecil said:
Got my reply from TXU:

While I do like the initiative that anyone can step up and get a fob after visiting the station, it would be nice if a fob could be ordered before arrive at a station, I think plug in people think a little farther ahead than, "oh look there is a public EVSE, lets stop there to charge." The silver lining is, at least, they are aware of the issue and are working on it with the bonus that its not separate cities with different fobs, but all one system! So McKinney and Dallas fobs would work on each other (and any other city that joined).

The fact is, we HAVE to think farther ahead because if we can't charge, we may not make it home; they need to realize that many (myself included) won't even attempt to use a station until a card/fob/whatever is in hand (like Blink and ChargePoint).

BTW, thanks for your diligent follow-up on these chargers as well as the effort you put into keeping the DFW (Google) charging map up-to-date!

Pipcecil said:
@dfwcre8tive - besides the 2 dealerships, there really is only one good one in west fort worth. There is a chargepoint station in the Trinity Commons shopping center, which is off of Hulen Street and Bellaire just west of TCU. The shopping center has a tomb thumb and other various stores. The EVSE is located on the back side of the chipolte building (which is in the center of the parking lot).

It seems like these things are getting out of hand with the independent chargers. At least blink and chargepoint are consistant, but these idependent aerovironment ones are sucking it up in access.

Thanks, I'll probably take my cord and hope to find a spare 110 outlet at one of my destinations. If not, I'll stop at Trinity Commons for a little boost later in the evening. My planned trip is 44 miles each way, so it will be close.

EdmondLeaf said:
Sorry to hear about tornadoes in DFW area. Is the damage substantial?

It is hard to say yet.. but it appears so. We saw one of the tornadoes with our own eyes as it approached my place of employment. We also got some very large hail. I just went out and checked my Leaf in the parking lot.. I can't see any damage but it is still very wet. When I get home, I'll dry it off and see if I can see anything. I hope it won't require any body work.

tornado was just a few blocks from my work, but we scrapped by with very little damage. As for the region...hmm hard tell. Its still going through

Back