COSTCO has officially removed ALL existing EVSEs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The part I find odd is that they don't put a junction box at the EVSE but go to the trouble of filling concrete, etc. It's like taking your garden hose off the bib because you won't need it to water plants but then cutting the pipe to the ground and covering it with concrete. Seems idiotic and certainly more costly. What is they wanted the power for something else in the future? I plan on dropping my opinion in the suggestion box if I shop there again.

EVDRIVER said:
... if I shop there again.
Now my wife is adamant that she doesn't want to go back to Costco, and she used to be a good customer. In light of the recent "Sustainability" issue, she finds their actions hypocritical. While I wasn't going to be adamant about not shopping there, I'm not going to argue with her, and she's the main shopper for our family.

astralfish said:
I vote with where I spend my money...
+1

That's why I'm very tempted to quit COSTCO. I'm leaving feedback notes for now, but I don't see myself continuing as a member unless they address this concern. Be it by an article in their magazine, a press release, phone call, whatever. As it looks like right now, they don't care. They'd rather sell gas at as many locations as possible. I can certainly understand that from a profit maximization standpoint, but it's a club and I don't have to participate.

I'm sorry but my wife and both agree that their superb customer service, their excellent prices, and the fact that they treat their employees far better than anyone else in the segment, greatly outweigh any consideration of their removal of chargers. We will continue to be devoted Costco customers and premoters. Sustainability is about MUCH more than EV chargers...

abasile said:
Now my wife is adamant that she doesn't want to go back to Costco, and she used to be a good customer. In light of the recent "Sustainability" issue, she finds their actions hypocritical. While I wasn't going to be adamant about not shopping there, I'm not going to argue with her, and she's the main shopper for our family.

TomT said:
I'm sorry but my wife and both agree that their superb customer service, their excellent prices, and the fact that they treat their employees far better than anyone else in the segment, greatly outweigh any consideration of their removal of chargers. We will continue to be devoted Costco customers and premoters.
I can respect that, and please understand that I'm not trying to push for EV drivers to boycott Costco, or claim that it is wrong for people to shop there. I am merely sharing our personal sentiments.

abasile said:
Sustainability is about MUCH more than EV chargers...
Yes it is, but we were already on the fence as to whether we wanted to shop at Costco. (We don't necessarily need to buy 10 packs of everything, etc.) EV charging definitely would have swayed us strongly in favor of renewing our membership, though. Considering the apparent difficulty of getting public chargers installed, Costco's decision to remove existing chargers really feels like a slap in the face.

[quoteConsidering the apparent difficulty of getting public chargers installed, Costco's decision to remove existing chargers really feels like a slap in the face.[/quote]

+1

EVDRIVER said:
The part I find odd is that they don't put a junction box at the EVSE but go to the trouble of filling concrete, etc.
It's a tradition going back thousands of years, to ensure that they will never have to listen to members asking for charging stations to be re-connected: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salting_the_earth

As a non-member they made things much easier for me. Now I don't have to think about whether I would actually buy in such large quantities as to make a Costco membership worthwhile. For those who do like warehouse shopping, I think that now inquiries about installing charging stations might better be directed to http://www.samsclub.com/sams/pagedetails/content.jsp?pageName=connectWithUs than to Costco. I'm not much for boycotts, but I am all for shopping at businesses that treat me right.

walterbays said:
I think that now inquiries about installing charging stations might better be directed to http://www.samsclub.com/sams/pagedetails/content.jsp?pageName=connectWithUs
Done. That's a good idea. Feedback submitted, along with a return e-mail address:
My wife and I are considering joining Sam's Club. We drive a new Nissan LEAF electric vehicle and are interested in your organic grocery items. However, we would like to know if your San Bernardino, CA store will be offering electric vehicle charging. We live in the mountains above that location, and an EV charger at that store would make Sam's Club shopping convenient for us. Thank you.

Time for the next logical step... I don't think comments alone are near enough at this stage.

I put my comments in the box and we could all write more letters and put more comments in the box which likely go straight to the recycle bin. Costco has made it clear that selling poison gas is part of their core business and, in my opinion, that they don't care about polluting the planet and our communities air as long as they profit.

Costco needs some more powerful motivation to change course. I propose that we organize some press around this. The hour before our next local Leaf meetups would be an opportune time to clog the closest Costco's front doorstep with our EV's, take some pictures, invite the press, ask for an audience with the onsite store manager to express our opinions and then continue on to the Leaf meetup. This is a good news story and it is in dire need of coverage.

Who is willing to join me at Costco an hour before the next bay area Leaf meetup in Fremont? Actions are louder than words and now the right time to act before the story fades away. If enough people agree to join me, i'll work to get the media to show.

On the flipside, we should rally at and support both the stores and cities that are installing new evse's by thanking them with our comments and business (Fred Meyers Ikea, Best Buy etc).

DTB said:
....And the month before that they ran an article about biofuels!
I sent a reply to the "Letters to the Editor" last week pointing out that while the magazine publishes articles touting sustainability and alternative fuels, the corporation is apparently giving up on EVSEs (despite being an early supporter).
Got a generic response today saying my concern has been forwarded to the "appropriate" department for review.

Yikes. In my opinion, a sad, pathetic waste of time.

I guess one could consider a disorderly conduct or trespassing misdemeanor charge to ultimately be a good thing as you'll be able to perform community service. And maybe while you're picking up trash on roadsides, the epiphany will hit that reminds you reasonable people can disagree.

But throwing the baby out with the bath water approach rarely makes anyone see your point. In fact, it makes you look like whiny, entitled, self righteous EVangelists.

Because Costco is making a business policy you don't agree with doesn't mean they don't have a good company, employees who like to work there, provide goods and service to the community, and have a loyal group of shoppers.

Most of which didn't care, don't care, or never cared about charge stations for the 1/10 of 1% of people who drive electric cars.

EVDrive said:
Time for the next logical step... I don't think comments alone are near enough at this stage.

Who is willing to join me at Costco an hour before the next bay area Leaf meetup in Fremont? Actions are louder than words and now the right time to act before the story fades away. If enough people agree to join me, i'll work to get the media to show.

This next meeting is an early one so meeting before that will be too early for anyone to notice. Maybe go after the meeting, or pick another day.

Train said:

I guess one could consider a disorderly conduct or trespassing misdemeanor charge to ultimately be a good thing as you'll be able to perform community service. And maybe while you're picking up trash on roadsides, the epiphany will hit that reminds you reasonable people can disagree.

But throwing the baby out with the bath water approach rarely makes anyone see your point. In fact, it makes you look like whiny, entitled, self righteous EVangelists.

Because Costco is making a business policy you don't agree with doesn't mean they don't have a good company, employees who like to work there, provide goods and service to the community, and have a loyal group of shoppers.

Most of which didn't care, don't care, or never cared about charge stations for the 1/10 of 1% of people who drive electric cars.

If done respectfully, it won't be whiny at all. In fact, it will be appealing to their business side. I.e., a few dozen shoppers who are saying "leave these chargers in place and upgrade them for free and we'll continue to spend our money here." At the very least Costco should halt their removal program and give the EV market more time. Pulling them out right now is especially silly.

Really, filling the Costco lot for a few minutes with some ev's and taking pictures is hardly a crime. Perhaps dropping off a stack of charging station support petitions to the manager is a crime in your eyes, but luckily we are a bit more sophisticated than that and live in the real world. A world where we can make an impact and push for change while being professional and courteous. Obviously we would have to have a solid plan, getting a ticket for disrupting their business wouldn't be part of it as that is not a good way to influence them. I find it fascinating that you would assume we would be that immature.

Getting press for an important issue and showing Costco that we exist is not a waste of time if that is the goal.

Train said:

Electric4Me said:
This next meeting is an early one so meeting before that will be too early for anyone to notice. Maybe go after the meeting, or pick another day.

If done respectfully, it won't be whiny at all. In fact, it will be appealing to their business side. I.e., a few dozen shoppers who are saying "leave these chargers in place and upgrade them for free and we'll continue to spend our money here." At the very least Costco should halt their removal program and give the EV market more time. Pulling them out right now is especially silly.

Good point. I'll bring it up at the next meeting and see if there is interest around this. If so, those with interest can get together and plan something professional and respectful.

Costco removed the EVSEs from the Lancaster store.

Membership is up in October, I am not going to renew. I will head over to Sam's club with all their wind turbines, hopefully they will add EVSEs soon...

http://www3.samsclub.com/NewsRoom/Press/688
lbkuinrzewf.jpg

To me, that is just cutting off your nose to spit your face. I've been to a Sam's Club or two and will never go back! What a dive in every respect compared to Costco!

chris1howell said:
Membership is up in October, I am not going to renew. I will head over to Sam's club with all their wind turbines, hopefully they will add EVSEs soon...

Those look like awfully small wind turbines. Do they provide a significant amount of power, or are they sort of like the LEAF solar panel?

The closest Sam's Club to us is about 80 miles away, so it's not really a viable option.

Ray

planet4ever said:
Those look like awfully small wind turbines. Do they provide a significant amount of power, or are they sort of like the LEAF solar panel?

The closest Sam's Club to us is about 80 miles away, so it's not really a viable option.

Ray

Looks like each windmill supplies power for the parking lot light it is mounted on top of. Hey.....it's a start.

planet4ever said:
You have never been in Palmdale after 2pm. I'm worried they would bend the light pole.

Back