COSTCO has officially removed ALL existing EVSEs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
walterbays said:
TRONZ said:
I agree that Costco is going to look very stupid in the end.
The only thing that could make them look even more stupid would be if now Sears or Target or Walmart or - most embarrassing of all - Sam's Club installed modern charging stations.
Actually, Sears is doing exactly that, at least here in Seattle. Admittedly, they're going through Blink, so it's anyone's guess how quickly that will happen. Still, they did just bring some online at the big Sears store in downtown Seattle the other week, so there /is/ actual movement going on.

(Just to season this situation with a sprinkle of irony, Costco started here -- hence their store brand being 'Kirkland Signature' -- and is still based in the area.)

TRONZ said:
We are clearly in a "Who Killed the Electric Chargers" scenario. All the usual suspects and relationships are present and accounted for. I agree that Costco is going to look very stupid in the end. I mean, first chargers when few EV's were made then rip them all out when thousands and tens of thousands more hit the road. It's an interesting legacy they are hanging on themselves.
Bull. Costco got burned in the last go around, and it's no surprise they aren't excited about signing up for a new round of electric vehicle support. I, for one, don't blame them for deciding to sit out for a while.

davewill said:
TRONZ said:
We are clearly in a "Who Killed the Electric Chargers" scenario. All the usual suspects and relationships are present and accounted for. I agree that Costco is going to look very stupid in the end. I mean, first chargers when few EV's were made then rip them all out when thousands and tens of thousands more hit the road. It's an interesting legacy they are hanging on themselves.
Bull. Costco got burned in the last go around, and it's no surprise they aren't excited about signing up for a new round of electric vehicle support. I, for one, don't blame them for deciding to sit out for a while.

CostCo got lots of Great Publicity, and good customer relations they did not get screwed!

I agree. Costco got plenty of good publicity when they supported electric vehicles years ago. Although those chargers weren't massively used (due to lack of EVs on the market at the time), Costco SHOULD have replaced them with the free upgrade program in California since there is clear expectation that the demand for chargers this time will certainly exceed demand in the past with a greater number of plug-ins being offered in the market soon (eg. Nissan Leaf, Mitsubishi i, Chevrolet Volt, Prius Plug-in, Honda Fit EV, Tesla, etc.)

It just seems ridiculous for them to acquire the bad press by completely removing these chargers, when it would not have cost them much to upgrade them or just leave them be until they think that there is sufficient number of customers requesting their use.

thew said:
CostCo got lots of Great Publicity, and good customer relations they did not get screwed!
At least based on what Costco is saying, the majority of the chargers apparently did not get used (which is not surprising given that the RAV4 EV and the EV1 both have been unavailable for ages), and the amount of business they brought in apparently didn't pay for the maintenance on them. I can understand them wanting to wait it out.

That said, I think it's short-sighted to rip these out right now; I'd leave them in place and wait to see how EV adoption goes, then opt for the paid upgrade to new chargers if it looked feasible.

I plan on asking them when they will get EVSE units each time I visit. I was there today and really needed a charge but was unable.

Well, the chargers at the Almaden Expressway Costco are gone now. Looks like its a system wide thing. This is a perfect example of terrible timing and judgement.

Yep. Read a post (I believe on Green Car Reports) that the regional manager for Costco in Northern California has indicated the removal of all EVSEs in the region. It's likely a corporate decision so I'd expect all Costco stores to eventually remove their existing EVSEs sooner or later if they have them installed at all.

What year did Costco start selling gas? It was not long after the EV1 was sent to the crusher, right?!?

I was thumbing through the magazine that Costco sends out, I think it's called "Costco Connection". I noticed in the back of the magazine they have a chart that lists locations and which amenities each offers (gas, 1 hr photo, etc). They still have a column for "EV Stations". I'll be curious if it's updated with the removals or if they will just remove the column entirely.

The most recent copy I got (September I think) had the whole column removed.

Oh, the humanity...

What year did Costco start selling gas? It was not long after the EV1 was sent to the crusher, right?!?

I think Costco may still have some chargers still available behind the grassy knoll, near Area 51.

ALL of the Costco chargers in the Gilroy - San Jose - San Francisco - Novato bay area have been removed. I have checked reports by others, visited some sites myself and called the managers at other sites. http://www.evchargernews.com/regions/ch-bay-all.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All of the Costco EV chargers have been removed using a Scorched Earth policy where they have entombed the conduit in concrete making it very difficult to out any of the chargers back, and this all despite a California grant to upgrade these stations to J1772 at no cost to Costco. Costco actually spent money to rip them out!

I've updated http://www.recargo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to indicate that the status of all of the San Francisco Bay Area sites is "Closed Permanently". I also updated http://www.evchargernews.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; aka http://www.evchargermaps.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to indicate they are removed. Of course, many others already updated these sites, I just verified the last few and updated them.

I suggest the appropriate http://www.recargo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; status for permanently removed sites is "Closed Permanently".

Using the "No Working Chargers" status suggests that there is a problem with all the chargers that might be fixed, say temprorarily blocked for rennovation or a master breaker needs to be reset, etc. And while the store may be open, for the purposes of charging a Plug In Vehicle, I think "Closed Permanently" is more accurate and informative - i.e. don't bother coming back, these chargers aren't coming back until you can produce a miracle - an act of Costco Corporate!

Costco received over 900 emails requesting to keep the chargers, numerous customer (member) comments in store, personal contacts with store managers, etc. They knew some of use value these chargers highly (It's why I joined Costco and have been a member for 10 years.), but now there gone.

Unfortunately, the Costco chargers provided the ONLY charging in some vital areas, like Gilroy, CA on Highway 101. The loss of these chargers has left some critical gaps in the charging network. We need to be extra appreciative and financially supportive of businesses that offer the only one or two charging locations in a critical corridor.

ElectricVehicle said:
Unfortunately, the Costco chargers provided the ONLY charging in some vital areas, like Gilroy, CA on Highway 101. The loss of these chargers has left some critical gaps in the charging network. We need to be extra appreciative and financially supportive of businesses that offer the only one or two charging locations in a critical corridor.

South County Nissan is right off the 10th/152 exit of highway 101 in that area, and has indicated to me that they are willing to provide one of their four L2 chargers for Leaf use during business hours, provided we call in advance.

It seems the September Costco Connection has them removed.
Here is the August (ironically the "Sustainability issue") which was apparently the last with them shown:
cc1.jpg

cc2.jpg

I guess I got a NorCal version of the Costco Connection. Were there different regions with other EVSEs listed?

TEG said:
Here is the August (ironically the "Sustainability issue") which was apparently the last with them shown:
Grrr... There's a lot of things to do for sustainability, and many are very important, but the gall to publish the "Sustainability issue" as you are ripping out the EV chargers and burying the conduit in concrete to make them difficult to replace is just plain wrong.

But then Costco is a corporation and they have a marketing department, so what better thing to do than publish a "Sustainability issue" as you are ripping out the chargers. It's possible that was intentional - Use marketing and advertising to say your doing the right thing and trick people into believing it, while in actuality, you are doing the exact opposite, EVIL thing. I don't really think that's the case here, just coincidental with evaluating the perceived profit / loss of theri sustainable activities - but it's still the wrong decision if your are parcaticing sustainability - perceived profit and loss are part of the anaylsis but there are other factors. If you organization is "Sustainable", where you get your electricity from and the type of transportation you subsidize is critical. And they provide plenty of very expensive subsidies to all vehicles already, including gasoline, and that is the real estate cost of the parking space for the vehilce itself. A couple EV chargers is an immeasurable pittance in comparison to the total vehicle subsidy in the form of parking spaces. Oh, and they could get free upgrades to J1772.

Ok... the endless ranting lunatic (me) will go away now! (Yes, I did put in numerous Costco comment cards over the years thanking them for EV chargers, and sent emails to Costco recently to preserve the chargers.)

I came across a 2006 Costco listing:
http://www.evchargernews.com/miscfiles/costco-jan-2006-ev-stations.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems between 2006 and the total wipe-out last month, we had already lost these two as well:

Citrus Heights
Novato

....And the month before that they ran an article about biofuels!
I sent a reply to the "Letters to the Editor" last week pointing out that while the magazine publishes articles touting sustainability and alternative fuels, the corporation is apparently giving up on EVSEs (despite being an early supporter).
Got a generic response today saying my concern has been forwarded to the "appropriate" department for review.

Back