Considering Buying Another EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eloder said:
...the smart ED is by far the lowest cost EV on the market through their lease program...
The i-MiEV is less expensive and has leases for as little as $69/month with $0 down if you can find them -- $99/month with $0 down is the norm. And it's available in all 50 states. And can hold 4 adults.

As a former i-MiEV driver, I wouldn't replacing a LEAF with it, though. The LEAF is a much nicer car.

2k1Toaster said:
D3Leaf said:
... Anyway, we (the family) like VW's as our other four cars are all VW Beetles, so I am leaning toward the E-Golf.

And what does the phrase "Compliance Car" actually mean?
Well if you like VW's and the maintenance that go with them, then why not continue the trend with the e-golf?

"Compliance Car" means a car manufactured only for the auto manufacturer to be compliant in California so they can sell all their cars and get credits. For example, the Toyota Rav4EV.
Actually working on my Beetles is a hobby, so car maintenance, is not an issue and this is one of mine ... VW Beetle Maintenance

apvbguy said:
D3Leaf said:
My bad on the missing location; updated the profile. I live in a rural county, 30 miles northwest of Nashville.
if you are planning on commuting those 30 miles, I'd be wary of depending on the current crop of limited range EVs. for example in a LEAF you'd be pushing the limits of it's range without the ability to recharge in Nashville. YMMV
I have been commuting those miles for the last two years and from May to October I can go, home to work and back with 10-20 miles left for errands, regardless of terrain or climate conditions and the speed varies from 30 to 55, and I can actually use the cruise control. I do take the same route everyday. There is a deli 2.3 miles from work with a L2 charging station and if I need more, there is Nissan Dealer 7.2 miles away; which is on one of my alternate routes and that route is all stop and go traffic. During the winter months I go to the Deli for lunch and charge and yes, they know my name; with 5-12 left, depending on climate conditions. During severe cold weather, single digits to low teens, I will stop by the dealer and get a L3 charge and top off to 70%; so I can use the heater.

tkdbrusco said:
Rumor has it that the new 2016 Volt is going to have 50 miles of pure electric range. If it were me, I'd hold out for that, or I would do a short lease (24 months) on another Leaf and wait for the Leaf Gen2 (150 mil range rumored) or the Tesla Model 3.
I looked at the Volt when they originally came out and my first impression was "Cadillac"; there was Cadillac parked next to the Volt and the Volt looked like the Cadillac's "Mini Me" version.

aarond12 said:
eloder said:
...the smart ED is by far the lowest cost EV on the market through their lease program...
The i-MiEV is less expensive and has leases for as little as $69/month with $0 down if you can find them -- $99/month with $0 down is the norm. And it's available in all 50 states. And can hold 4 adults.

As a former i-MiEV driver, I wouldn't replacing a LEAF with it, though. The LEAF is a much nicer car.
I never considered the i-MiEV as I had a feeling that it was just not right for me. Here is an odd fact, the VW dealer that I use for my Beetle needs has one and I am not sure what they use it for.

TonyWilliams, Wow! Excellent writeup.

So the wife and I went to the VW Dealer to do a physical trial; head/leg room, etc ... and we went after dinner so it was dark, not to mention very cold, which gives us an idea on hard it would be re-learn were the controls are. Now Golfs are the same body style regardless of your chosen power train, gas, diesel or electric; sadly the Golf has no head room for me unless I "swoop" drive". So the E-Golf has been removed from the list. :( Since we were there, we could not resist looking at a Diesel Beetle and no we did not get one, as they did not have one we liked; besides everything was an automatic.

So, we are going to wait for the Tesla III or the Next Gen Leaf, but in the interim, we are pondering a Diesel VW Beetle.

Back