Concerned about potential health risks with your Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbutter said:
I considered tin foil caps until this MIT research article pointed out they actually acted as antennas :lol:
http://berkeley.intel-research.net/arahimi/helmet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, and the authors helpfully point out that the government may actually be behind the helmet craze, since these helmets actually "enhance the government's invasive abilities." How diabolical!!! :twisted:

mbutter said:
davewill said:
I personally recommend tinfoil...but I guess in the LEAF you want to put it on your feet instead of your head? :lol:
I considered tin foil caps until this MIT research article pointed out they actually acted as antennas :lol:
http://berkeley.intel-research.net/arahimi/helmet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They haven't made tin foil since World War II. It's been replaced with aluminum foil. Aluminum foil is, of course, not effective at all against blocking the mind control rays...
=Smidge=

LEAFfan said:
astralfish said:
The fact that 9/11 was performed by our own government, for example.

My feeling is that most of the American people are just 'sheep' believing and following whatever our government says and tells them. If our govt. tells the people that two jets brought down the twin towers, people say, "Why yes, would our govt. lie?" "And now, we (the govt.) must take away your freedoms to make it more secure." "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" ~Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

Similar to 9-11, it is a fact that our U.S. govt. previously knew about and could have prevented the 'Pearl Harbor' attack. But most people just don't want to believe that our precious govt. would sacrifice people's lives to achieve what they want.

Many very scientific people believe that a diesel fuel fire that is not force blown can cause the type of failure the twin towers experienced. Sadly reality does not agree (temp is too low), many who were there that day said there were explosions in the basement prior to the plane hitting. Many of them died after surviving from cancer from all the chemical exposure.

The sad part with history is that it can take many decades or even centuries of separation before some semblance of truth is known and people accept it, right now it would be too great a responsibility if they were to know what the truth was because they would be obligated to act.

In terms of EMF, it is a legitimate issue, it does over time and constant exposure cause illness. The leaf in my opinion is probably less hazardous than the average laptop or the average house.

However you cannot readily avoid it, you get far more exposure of the wrong kind from 60hz AC. Run on solar and it is reduced greatly if you use DC appliances.

Truth be told the plastics in our environment and the many other chemicals we are bathed in daily are a much greater issue.

And yes billy cell phone radiation over time does cause cancer (as do all non-visual frequencies of EMF), a cell phone causes more exposure than a microwave oven and for a longer period due to its close proximity to your brain. There is no disputing that radiation over time causes cancer, because it takes 10-30 years to start to form and some individuals are more likely to get it does not make it perfectly "safe".

To dispute radiation of any type cannot cause cancer is plain dumb and completely impossible to defend (most discoverers of radiation died from cancer) but that is what scared industrial types seem to try to argue. My guess is even if the REAL risk of cancer were shown and documented people would still use cell phones and gamble over the next 30 years just like they do with cigarettes.

And the main trouble is some people sit on the darn things 24/7, they would be 100% safe if exposure were limited and not often, AkA a casual user. Cell phones are slowly being made more "safe" but some are going backwords, getting the signal as far away from the ear is key to limiting intensity, some are doing that seeing the writing on the wall, others just want a look.

I personally think it would be an improvement to society if people could only use cell phones for legitimate reasons, you don't know how many weaving dumbasses i have to avoid because they are trying to text while driving with 2 kids in the back.

Cheers
Ryan

Smidge204 said:
mbutter said:
davewill said:
I personally recommend tinfoil...but I guess in the LEAF you want to put it on your feet instead of your head? :lol:
They haven't made tin foil since World War II. It's been replaced with aluminum foil. Aluminum foil is, of course, not effective at all against blocking the mind control rays...
=Smidge=
My terminology oversight, I meant aluminum foil hat. Fortunately for me, Wikipedia states that a tinfoil hat is made of aluminum foil (or similar material). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_foil_hat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and if it is on the internet (especially Wikipedia), it MUST be true!!

Sadly, it says nothing about using tin... er... aluminum foil as shoes in a Leaf! (yet...)

This subject does deserve better than some here are giving it. I do not currently have any reason to think the Leaf is dangerous in this way but do agree EMF radiation can be hazardous after watching the research over the years and due to personal experience with cell phones over the last 15 years.

Research has actually been pointing toward a relationship between EMF and health more over time not less. By no means has the science ruled out negative health effects, to say that is nonsense, IMHO. Proving a relationship with Cell phone use and Cancer is very difficult as it takes many years to see effects and there are so many variables. Here is a link to a UW study showing a relationship to exposure and memory loss.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1524642/cell_phones_linked_to_long_term_memory.html

This is not a new correlation. years back, Motorola funded a study with the University of Washington hoping to prove that there is no provable negative effects from cell phones. Half way through the study, researchers started reporting some startling things about short and long term memory loss in rats, much like the above link. Motorola cut their funding of the study but the researchers felt that they had a moral obligation to carry the study to it's completion, concluding that exposure over long periods of time effect short and long term memory in rats. Motorola tried to block the publication of the study, it got published anyway. this was reported on in the mainstream news.

I have read enough and seen enough to conclude a few things. It's worth it for me to wear a headset and keep the cell phone away from my body, my head especially as a general precaution.

As for the Leaf, knowledge is good. I am interested in knowing what the real numbers are if anyone has a reliable device to take readings to see if the any high energy fields overlap where the driver/passangers would be exposed. I would suspect there are some relatively easy ways to use shielding if there turns out to be some potential problem areas and I suspect Nissan has considered this and taken some precautions already.

between the opposites, lies the path...:~)

astralfish said:
A few things...
#1: Enjoy putting all of your eggs into the technology basket. Keep buying those ipads without question. Remember, the earth was flat at one point. I'm sticking with God, nature and intuition.

< cut >

Astralfish, thanks for raising this topic. I too, feel that EMF is a perfectly valid subject matter.

For example, I would be very uncomfortable purchasing a property directly under electrical power lines. Not that I have read of evidence nor have seen data of potential health issues but yeah, I would never purchase a property in close proximity. Anyways, to each his own....

I am very interested in this EMF issue. My wife has a medical implant. It's not a pacemaker or defibrillator but a pain-blocking device. There are warnings in the owners manual regarding possible effects from being inside the car during charging on people with electrical implants such as defibrillators or pacemakers.

If the EMF is strong enough it could induce current in the device's electrodes. From Nissan's warnings it would seem the EMF is markedly higher during charging than at other times.

We are trying to get information to quantify the EMF present so that her device manufacturer can evaluate. Until then she can't allow herself to enter the vehicle or be present inside the vehicle during charging.

If anyone has a suggestion on how best to get this info from Nissan, it would be appreciated.

Personally, I'm thankful for the internet. It's great at dispersing idiocy far and wide, requiring the masses to utilize their capacity for reason to evaluate and reject the most ludicrous and nonsensical of ideas. While this at first seems a thoroughly useless function, only serving to waste reasonable peoples' time, it can actually save people a huge amount of time! You see, it is not uncommon for a reasonable individual to attempt to introduce logic, facts, reason, etc into a discussion. While normally a wonderful spreading of thoughts and ideas, this can be a time-consuming yet futile pursuit if the other party is a complete and total idiot. Now, the internet has provided us with this wonderful system to alert us of the mind-blowing stupidity in advance! Just keep your eye open for such wonderful early-warning indicators as you've seen here in this very thread - when you see them, you know that individual is beyond help, and you can smile, nod, and move away to a save distance so as not to be inadvertently assailed by their demented ramblings!

Thanks, Internet!!!
thumbs-up.jpg

defiancecp said:
Personally, I'm thankful for the internet. It's great at dispersing idiocy far and wide, requiring the masses to utilize their capacity for reason to evaluate and reject the most ludicrous and nonsensical of ideas. While this at first seems a thoroughly useless function, only serving to waste reasonable peoples' time, it can actually save people a huge amount of time! You see, it is not uncommon for a reasonable individual to attempt to introduce logic, facts, reason, etc into a discussion. While normally a wonderful spreading of thoughts and ideas, this can be a time-consuming yet futile pursuit if the other party is a complete and total idiot. Now, the internet has provided us with this wonderful system to alert us of the mind-blowing stupidity in advance! Just keep your eye open for such wonderful early-warning indicators as you've seen here in this very thread - when you see them, you know that individual is beyond help, and you can smile, nod, and move away to a save distance so as not to be inadvertently assailed by their demented ramblings!
I hope that this thread served as a suitable outlet for your deep rooted insecurities. I'm picturing you as someone with a double chin, a beer belly, and a can of Coke nearby. Stay asleep, zombie. ;)

Nubo said:
I am very interested in this EMF issue. My wife has a medical implant. It's not a pacemaker or defibrillator but a pain-blocking device. There are warnings in the owners manual regarding possible effects from being inside the car during charging on people with electrical implants such as defibrillators or pacemakers.
If the EMF is strong enough it could induce current in the device's electrodes. From Nissan's warnings it would seem the EMF is markedly higher during charging than at other times.
We are trying to get information to quantify the EMF present so that her device manufacturer can evaluate. Until then she can't allow herself to enter the vehicle or be present inside the vehicle during charging.
If anyone has a suggestion on how best to get this info from Nissan, it would be appreciated.

According to my meter, it seems that the chest and head area are fairly protected while the feet are constantly getting slammed. My advice? Test this out yourself. Don't rely on other people (like defiancecp for example) to tell you the "facts" because most either believe the bullsh** or they don't care.

I personally wouldn't be too concerned about any amount of radiation reaching my feet; heck, you could roast my feet red and I'd probably be thankful for the extra warmth and color.. :D OK, true enough I wouldn't want to affect any white blood cell production in my "long" bones, but I'd be more concerned with radiation to my chest and head areas. Even there we're at the same stage as astrophysicists are with "dark matter", putting in an unknown place-holder in the belief that we can some day put in a functional mechanism for the effects we see/fear. Truth is, cell phone radiation just isn't powerful enough to affect human biology through any of the mechanisms we presently understand (heat, chromosomal damage, ion channel interference, electrical signal propogation, etc.).

Towards the end of doing something productive, when my brother comes back from out of town I'll try to borrow his radiation detector. This is one of the $1,000+ true-meal-deals used by his company to measure the strength of electromagnetic signals across a wide range of spectrums (they work in radio licensing). I last borrowed this device when we moved into our present house (directly behind some of those high-voltage lines, coincidentally enough ;) ) and it proved very informative to see how the signal intensity varied not just by location, but by orientation of the receptor/antenna. Perhaps within the week I can get a better read on the electromagnetic field levels found within the LEAF.

Now what were we talking about?? :?

TLeaf said:
I personally wouldn't be too concerned about any amount of radiation reaching my feet; heck, you could roast my feet red and I'd probably be thankful for the extra warmth and color.. :D OK, true enough I wouldn't want to affect any white blood cell production in my "long" bones, but I'd be more concerned with radiation to my chest and head areas. Even there we're at the same stage as astrophysicists are with "dark matter", putting in an unknown place-holder in the belief that we can some day put in a functional mechanism for the effects we see/fear. Truth is, cell phone radiation just isn't powerful enough to affect human biology through any of the mechanisms we presently understand (heat, chromosomal damage, ion channel interference, electrical signal propogation, etc.).

Towards the end of doing something productive, when my brother comes back from out of town I'll try to borrow his radiation detector. This is one of the $1,000+ true-meal-deals used by his company to measure the strength of electromagnetic signals across a wide range of spectrums (they work in radio licensing). I last borrowed this device when we moved into our present house (directly behind some of those high-voltage lines, coincidentally enough ;) ) and it proved very informative to see how the signal intensity varied not just by location, but by orientation of the receptor/antenna. Perhaps within the week I can get a better read on the electromagnetic field levels found within the LEAF.

Well, I -- for one -- am somewhat concerned about this whole matter and have read every word written in these 6 pages of postings. I have noticed that my frequency of erections has dramatically increased since I began driving the Leaf. At my age this is a source of some amazement, to be sure. Any ideas, Group?

Dave

CWO4Mann said:
TLeaf said:

Well, I -- for one -- am somewhat concerned about this whole matter and have read every word written in these 6 pages of postings. I have noticed that my frequency of erections has dramatically increased since I began driving the Leaf. At my age this is a source of some amazement, to be sure. Any ideas, Group?

Call all your girlfriends immediately, and set up appointments for servicing. :p :p :p :p :p

Dave

CWO4Mann said:
Well, good for you. It is pretty cold out in the garage, but maybe if I spend the night in the LEAF, I'll experience some long forgotten -- you know....

Back in the fifties, I worked with a military RADAR. The scuttlebutt was that it could cause us guys to become sterile. Four more little ones came along - maybe the milk man?

Bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSBE6wOGoPI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bidocean.com/cellphone.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

100+ billion dollar industry. The more money they make the more lobbyist goons they can hire.

I haven't eaten food from a microwave oven in years.

I don't care what any of you believe, really. I'm just sharing for those whose mind isn't conditioned and closed off to common sense.

GroundLoop said:
astralfish said:
I haven't eaten food from a microwave oven in years.
Why is that?
http://www.naturalnews.com/022015.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.relfe.com/microwave.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or you can do what I did. Plant two seeds in two pots. Water one with water thats been microwaved and the other with tap. Guess which one sprouts and which one doesn't.

All I know is that Nissan did publish instructions that those with pacemakers should not occupy the LEAF while it is charging. My 27 year old son has a pacemaker, so we have to be aware of this.

astralfish said:
Or you can do what I did. Plant two seeds in two pots. Water one with water thats been microwaved and the other with tap. Guess which one sprouts and which one doesn't.
Maybe it depends on whether the tap water was also heated to drive out all the dissolved gasses?
Did you leave your tap water cold, or heat it to the same level as the microwaved water?
Did you let them both cool to the same temp before applying to the plants?
Did you use the same container for heating or transporting the water? (hopefully glass)
Was it double-blind, or is it possible that your own experimental bias could have introduced differences?

If I saw such an experiment as you describe, it would excite me with questions about the test itself and root cause. Each hypothesis would be tested carefully, and I would publish the results for my peers to scrutinize. I love real science.

It would be equally fun to propose ways to distinguish microwave-heated water from conductively-heated water, and test each idea.

Astralfish, I am curious: Do you use cellphones at all? Does your house have electricity ? Surely you must be using a computer to post here? If those dont bother you, then there is no need to be bothered by the leaf.

There are electromagentic waves all around us...from the cell phone network, from the powelines, radio and TV signals...They are too weak to mess with our chemistry directly, as their per photon energy is low ( ~ million times lower than visible light), so they are completely harmless.

The interaction of radiation with molecules/atoms is pretty well understood so there is no "mysterious" quality to this radiation that can somehow disrupt the chemistry of living beings. The only harmful interaction is heat, but you need LOTS of power for that (i.e. at least watts to kilowatts and not milliwatts).

Back