Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
OMG! Reuters is quoting "sources" as saying the Bolt is a go for production in MI starting in late 2016!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/05/us-autos-gm-bolt-idUSKBN0L92VL20150205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is the problem ...

Despite the heavy hype surrounding the car's unveiling last month at the Detroit auto show, the sources said, GM's production target for the Bolt is relatively modest, at about 25,000-30,000 cars a year.

They are going to make less 200 mile cars in 2017 than the 85 mile Leaf in 2014 ? That too Leaf sold more in US alone in 2014 than they want to make for the world in 2017 ...

GM basically lacks commitment.

I expect Nissan to sell 100k or more in US when their doubled range Leaf comes out.

evnow said:

They are going to make less 200 mile cars in 2017 than the 85 mile Leaf in 2014 ? That too Leaf sold more in US alone in 2014 than they want to make for the world in 2017 ...

GM basically lacks commitment.

I expect Nissan to sell 100k or more in US when their doubled range Leaf comes out.

GM got burned badly with their initial Volt sales projections. I don't fault them at all with a relatively slow rollout.
They have the resources to ramp that up quickly as needed.

They WILL beat Tesla's Model 3 with that rollout date, and quite likely Nissan.

evnow said:
Despite the heavy hype surrounding the car's unveiling last month at the Detroit auto show, the sources said, GM's production target for the Bolt is relatively modest, at about 25,000-30,000 cars a year.
They are going to make less 200 mile cars in 2017 than the 85 mile Leaf in 2014 ?
The Bolt is a small car and costs $37K, $30K after tax incentives. No matter how much we wish differently, it is not going to be a high volume seller. Auto manufacturers will be smarter if they market cars with less range, bigger cars, and perhaps less cost. I would much prefer a small SUV with 150 mile range for $37K than a Bolt.
Tesla Model 3 will succeed where Bolt fails because Tesla will be more like a sports car with lots of Tesla goodies like large screen display. The Bolt is built for ultimate efficiency. A poor man's car, an econobox, at a high price isn't going to sell 100K units per year. Might double GMs expectations if gas goes to $5 per gallon.

The Bolt may be small on the outside, but if it is anything like the BMW i3, it could be be very roomy on the inside. My brother, who is a bit over 6'-6" tall has 3-4" of clearance from his knees to the dash in an i3. It is just about the largest front seat room of any vehicle sold in the US.

If the Bolt is anything close to the i3 for room, and has a 200 mile range and sells for $37K before incentives - then they will sell a LOT of them. I think they are underestimating their sales so as to avoid alarming others.

NeilBlanchard said:
...If the Bolt is anything close to the i3 for room, and has a 200 mile range and sells for $37K before incentives - then they will sell a LOT of them. I think they are underestimating their sales so as to avoid alarming others...
If the Bolt...has a 200 mile range and sells for $37K before incentives then GM will probably lose thousands of dollars on each sale, just as they (likely) have on the Volt 1 and Spark EV.

Why would GM want to build any more Bolts than announced?

Standing next to the Bolt at NAIAS a few weeks ago, the car felt similar in size to a Ford C-Max or Mini Cooper Countryman, or maybe between an i3 and a C-Max. Not humongous, but it looked very spacious. Without a tape measure it sure looks like it's aiming right for the heart of the urban crossover market.

The Bolt looked roomier inside than a Leaf or a Volt but of course it's difficult to tell without actually getting inside. It didn't feel like a micro city car at all.

NeilBlanchard said:
If the Bolt is anything close to the i3 for room, and has a 200 mile range and sells for $37K before incentives - then they will sell a LOT of them. I think they are underestimating their sales so as to avoid alarming others.
They will not sell a LOT of them - because they won't make a lot of them. They'll not market the vehicle well. This is not to alarm "others" - but as I've been saying GM doesn't have the same kind of commitment Nissan has for BEV.

It is simply ridiculous that they project to sell in 2017, a 200 mile EV the same number as the 84 mile Leaf did in 2014.

Their only competition is likely Leaf 2 - so may be they think Bolt will not fare well compared to Leaf 2.

Let us assume Leaf 2 goes 150 miles for $28k. How many would pay $9k more for 50 miles extra range ?

evnow said:
Their only competition is likely Leaf 2 - so may be they think Bolt will not fare well compared to Leaf 2.
Good questions, but I don't think they see the Leaf as thier competition. I think they are trying to head off the Tesla Model 3 and some of the other higher end (tho not HIGH end) cars.

desiv

desiv said:
Good questions, but I don't think they see the Leaf as thier competition. I think they are trying to head off the Tesla Model 3 and some of the other higher end (tho not HIGH end) cars.
We should differentiate between senior executives of GM - who want to show that they are "competing" with Tesla. Then, there are actual product & marketing guys - who would know the primary competition would be Leaf 2 - since Model 3 would play in a different segment (and has the supercharger network backing).

Of course some people may switch from Model 3 to Leaf 2 / Bolt or the other way round. Just as today people switch from Leaf to i3 or Model S.

I was on chevrolet's website and they already have the bolt featured with all info and pictures. it is a beautiful car with great specs. This will be a game changer if they can sell it for 30k. Its better than a bmw that costs 1k to fix everytime you pop the hood.The bolt should last over 10 years with very little maintenance, where the fancy ice cars cost a fortune once the warranty expires.here is the link: http://www.chevrolet.com/culture/article/bolt-ev-concept-car.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evboy said:
I was on chevrolet's website and they already have the bolt featured with all info and pictures. it is a beautiful car with great specs. This will be a game changer if they can sell it for 30k. Its better than a bmw that costs 1k to fix everytime you pop the hood.The bolt should last over 10 years with very little maintenance, where the fancy ice cars cost a fortune once the warranty expires.here is the link: http://www.chevrolet.com/culture/article/bolt-ev-concept-car.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is nice eye candy, but until I test drive one and climb around electronics and mechanical components, it would be tough to judge one of the other as the dinosaur since that would imply the dinosaur was so ancient on technology.

You're comparing a 2nd Gen EV that won't be available for sale for another 2 years with a 1st Gen EV that has been available for over 4 years. Not at all a fair comparison. I'm sure the 2nd Gen Leaf will make the 1st Gen Leaf look like a "dinosaur", too.

Eh, Nissan just can't announce Leave V2 because they already have a mass-market EV. They've said that they will beat the Bolt to market.

evboy said:
lorenfb said:
evboy said:
The bolt should last over 10 years with very little maintenance

Really, and you know this as a fact, right?
not for a fact, but they have alot of experience now with ev technology.
If I recall, that is what GM said about the Vega, then the Citation, etc... Will believe a reliability or durability claim from GM when they prove it.

It appears the GM PR puff-piece on the Bolt has already succeeded in its goal: to make some people think that they are serious about BEVs. The idea that a concept car that might, or might not, be built and sold in a couple of years can be compared to a car we've been driving for years is ludicrous. Dinosaur indeed.

Back