Charging two cars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Neighbor has two leafs, One Charger, The Charger (L2 30amp i think) is in the middle between the two cars, not far from the Main Circuit box.

When He get home from work, he plugs in, before they go to bed he moves the plug over to her car (and walks the dog) , In Winter he he starts to charge as soon as he gets home ~4p. (Summer rates he has it set to start @ 8p.) He needs a about 60% charge to get to work, (He charges at work also) Leaves work with 100% charge so he has 30-40% left when he plugs in at home.) She need about 40% charge @ day so she can charge every other day if need be. For them the 11p Switch seem to work for them. One car is @ 100% each morning, and the other car (in summer) might not have full charge, but has enough to make it to his work.
Winter Rates (9/1 - 5/31) have just Started, Have not asked him this month, But they should be able to charge two car to 100% each day now.

Our Power company Off-Peak Power starts @ 8pm->2P mon-fri and all weekend (Summer Time of Use m-f 2p-8p) .28 vs .0415
(EV power if off peek 8p-8a Year round, but when i asked my Electric company she said only 5 customers system wide have it, TOU seem to pay off better for them).

flyonpa said:
My Neighbor has two leafs, One Charger, The Charger (L2 30amp i think) is in the middle between the two cars, not far from the Main Circuit box.

When He get home from work, he plugs in, before they go to bed he moves the plug over to her car (and walks the dog) , In Winter he he starts to charge as soon as he gets home ~4p. (Summer rates he has it set to start @ 8p.) He needs a about 60% charge to get to work, (He charges at work also) Leaves work with 100% charge so he has 30-40% left when he plugs in at home.) She need about 40% charge @ day so she can charge every other day if need be. For them the 11p Switch seem to work for them. One car is @ 100% each morning, and the other car (in summer) might not have full charge, but has enough to make it to his work.
Winter Rates (9/1 - 5/31) have just Started, Have not asked him this month, But they should be able to charge two car to 100% each day now.
I think for most having to go through all that rigamarole would negate one of the the great joys of having EVs - just take 5 seconds to plug 'em in and wake up every day with a full charge.

It's tough driving electric. I have just one car, and one evse, and I've conditioned myself to plug it in twice. I have a 60 mile round trip freeway commute. So I get home with about 25 percent remaining. Just in case I need the car for an emergency, I need to plug it in for an hour right away. then I either use the car, or disconnect it, then go out again at bedtime to plug it in so it's topped off in the morning. If I forget, at least It has enough charge to get to work in the morning, and I can go to magic Nissan and do a quick charge on the way home.

It really becomes a moot point, because there is no benefit of having one charger vs two. The dual charger costs more and pulls the same amount of charge as two single chargers, so I gain nothing.

I don't really have to worry about cause I have 200 amp service and the biggest electrical thing I run is my refrigerator (stove and dryer are both gas) so I have plenty of amperage to throw at the garage.

johnrhansen said:
It's tough driving electric. I have just one car, and one evse, and I've conditioned myself to plug it in twice. I have a 60 mile round trip freeway commute. So I get home with about 25 percent remaining. Just in case I need the car for an emergency, I need to plug it in for an hour right away. then I either use the car, or disconnect it, then go out again at bedtime to plug it in so it's topped off in the morning. If I forget, at least It has enough charge to get to work in the morning, and I can go to magic Nissan and do a quick charge on the way home.

I would really like a minimum reserve feature on the charge timer. Have it immediately charge up to the reserve whenever plugged in, then wait until the charging window to finish charging as usual.

flyonpa said:

It sounds to me like his wife should just level 1 charge all the time and be done with it. 40% a day is just 8 hours and avoids all that hassle.

Back