ChargePoint America and Coulomb Technologies CT Charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solarman

ChargePoint America http://www.chargepointamerica.com is providing Free charging stations in 9 metro areas in the U.S. It is sponsored by Charging Station maker Coulomb Technologies. Unfortunately, for those of us buying a LEAF, their free residential charging station program is only available for buyers of the following EVs:

* Chevrolet Volt
* Ford Transit Connect
* Ford Focus Electric
* smart fortwo electric drive

When I asked Nissan why the Nissan LEAF wasn't included, I was told "The other OEMs were asked to participate in their grant either by Chargepoint or DOE." Not really a good answer. My guess is that companies producing EVs could only participate in one Government sponsored EV infrastructure program and Nissan joined the EcoTotality program... instead of the ChargePointAmerica program?

However, the residential Charging Station being installed is the Coulomb Technologies CT 500 Level 2 unit and it is available for purchase for
$1850. + $50 for shipping. It's a 7.2 kW single output (30A) station.
When I contacted Coulomb Technologies about buying the CT 500 Here's the information I received from their local supplier - Clean Fuel Connections Inc, Arcatia Ca :

ct500.jpg

Special Program for California EV Buyers.
Coulomb photoGet your networked home charging station installed before your new Nissan LEAF arrives.

Specially priced Coulomb Technologies’ ChargePoint networked home charging stations are available to order NOW.

The ChargePoint CT500 charging station:

* is a 7.2 kW single output station
* delivers Level II (208/240 V @ 30 A) charging
* is compatible with all plug-in electric vehicles that comply with the SAE J1772™ plug-in electric vehicle-charging standard

CT 500 unit only (excluding sales tax) $1850
Shipping for charger $ 50
Site Visit—deducted from installation if use CFCI $ 100

Standard Installation—approximately 35 feet of conduit,
mounted on the exterior of the home, no trenching, coring or boring, one penetration from exterior to garage,
sign quote at the time of site visit. Excludes permits. $ 900 (approx.)
Permits (if pulled by installer) $ 200 (approx.)

Installation if you have had an EV charger and already have a 40 amp circuit (includes removal of existing charger if necessary)
$ 450

We expect units to be available for shipping in two to three weeks. We will also have them in stock for immediate installation.
Other items to consider:
1. if you are buying the faster charging option on the Nissan Leaf, I believe the CT 500 will charge your car twice as fast, as it is a
7.2kW charger.
2. You can choose to install the unit yourself or have your own electrician install it, however, we will ask you to sign something
indicating that you will follow electrical codes and local procedures for installation. If the unit is not properly installed or is
tampered with, the one year parts and labor warranty will be void.

3. If purchased by December 31, 2010, the unit comes with two years free network software license; after two years you may need to
pay a license fee of $140 per year. We are currently discussing this with the manufacturer."

Has anyone looked into buying this Charging Station? Any Feedback?

Just a comment, I received the same email from Charge Point America. I also posted this on the general EVSE thread.

Here in Orange County, I checked my zip code on their site and my zip code IS included in this program, but was NOT included in the EV Project/Ecotality project. So getting a LEAF instead of a Volt aced us out of the possibility of a free EVSE. Since Ecotality selected the metro areas for their project, we just didn't get lucky.

Regarding buying the Coulomb unit and self installing, the cost is about $1,000 more than AV's unit, it has lots of wireless capability that you probably won't need if you are not participating in a data collection project, and it's not clear if the unit will work after the two years if you don't buy an annual software license. You would probably get power usage metering which AV's unit doesn't do, but you can buy an inexpensive TED 1000 meter for that purpose. Their $450 fee to install if you already have an EVSE is overpriced, but not as badly as AV's installation costs for a simple install, and their $900 standard install is probably overpriced as well. AV has a better, longer warranty and they will swap out a malfunctioning EVSE under warranty to keep you up and charging.

Also, Coulomb's comment about possibly charging your LEAF twice as fast is incorrect, as far as I know, because the LEAF Level 2 charger is limited to 3.3 kW and the DC quick charge port is completely separate.

Good points Boomer23.
The salesman said they are including 3 years of networking - but didn't answer my question when I asked what happens after that. I don't think he knew. I am currently using the TED 5002 to monitor my home electricity usage and solar PV production - I can easily add another set of current sensors and MTU to monitor EV charging. Uhmm, the AV unit is not looking too bad at this point. I also like the Blink. Thanks.

This is an old thread, but I just emailed Nissan EV support and asked them the same question. How is it that the Volt qualifies for both the Blink Network and for Chargepoint America and the Leaf doesn't? Additionally, why are Leaf owners that opted out of the DC quick charge port being excluded from Blink? The Volt has offers no QC option and yet it qualifies for the program. As it is, I can't help myself but think that GM is a lot more proactive. AeroVironment gave an exorbitant installation quote and I cannot get assistance installing a charging station through a publicly funded program because Nissan does not participate or I don't meet a seemingly random requirement such as the quick charge port. I'm pissed and I'm starting to think that I should have purchased the Volt instead.

Back