Chademo CCS2 Adapter Working on december 2023

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much are they in beta?
The link says US$1050 for quantity 2-9. US$900 for 10+, US$800 for 100+.

But per Dala's video, it needs a stronger internal battery, so that will possibly affect the final price and perhaps even final size.

Edit: There is also Dala's prototype that he's working on. Not quite as compact as the Chinese adapter...

1702889711966.png

From this video:

Last edited:
For those that are curious about what's inside this adapter but can't be bothered chasing several of Dala's videos, here is a screenshot from one of the videos:

1702890175329.png

At the very bottom is the CCS-2 connector; CHAdeMO connector at the top. The big white round thing near the bottom is a DC rated contactor; there is only one contactor, which apparently is technically a bit iffy (I can't see the problem, as the car will break both sides). Just above it, the blue circle is the top of the too-small lithium cell that you have to charge via a micro USB connector near the top end. I'm guessing that the black rectangular thing is some sort of DC-DC converter to power the electronics after battery voltage is available.

There must be a lot of electronics packed in where it can't easily be seen in this video. Dala speculates that the USB connector could also be used to update the firmware in the adapter. There are some glitches, like the SoC not being reported properly, that likely will have to be fixed with such updates.

Im sure Dela will perfect this for the European markets, if not further afield. My extended concerns are with the quality of the wiring (current flow) within the adapter and its continued use on Rapid Charge (Heat/USA) wires look underated and may be liable to excessive heat; thinking case may expand with heat (traped in vehicle socket) or worse melt/catch fire.
Another issue is it's market value, commercially overpriced with only a 12 month Warranty. But this is a Chinese export, so the warranty isn't liable to be valid without a Dealer Chain and investment to cover localised claims on Warranty. (Remember the LEAF can be converted to CCS2 within its housing and still have Type 2 as well)

It's a great Idea and as the LEAF was always capable of Bi-Directional charging from the offset, could provide the required connection of V2G or V2X

Anyone else in the UK have thoughts on this? Dela?

My extended concerns are with the quality of the wiring (current flow) within the adapter and its continued use on Rapid Charge (Heat/USA) wires look underated and may be liable to excessive heat

I'll guess the wires are for control. I think I see a bar along the left side of photo that is the large current conductor

Yes the white arrow points to the end of the upper power bar and another one parallels it below.

You would think they could charge the battery once power is turned on on the CCS side. I'm guessing they power the circuit board once power is up. To run all the time off the battery seems like a problem.

The crucial part of this adapter is the communications translator. The rest is just hardware. Key concerns for the translator are reliability and safety. If these are achieved, and this translator becomes available as separate part, then CCS conversions are within reach. But, need reliability and safety.

For those like me, who reside this side of the Atlantic, it will not work as it is CCS-2 (European CCS) and not CCS-1 like we have here. Hopefully they will make a CCS-1 version if they don't already.
To date I haven't fast charged my used Leaf since I purchased, so in no rush. But it does look like the problem is being addressed.

Thanks for the Vid Dala! Very cool, and this gives added life to the > 1million chademo vehicles out there. It really bugs me that a well engineered vehicle like the Leaf could be set aside/scrapped because of poor fast charging options or dinky batteries. Charing problem, check. Next, safe replacement modules for all those weak batteries out there. Long live the Leaf!

In theory the Leaf has one of the most "rebuildable" pack in use. So Lack of batteries shouldn't be the defining issue that sends one to the scrap pile. There are now aftermarket 40Kwh packs being made. whether the cost will come down to where the owners of 10 year old cars will be willing to buy them, and get another 10 year or more out of the car remains to be seen. Problem is: most people who buy a used Leaf are attracted by the low price, few of them (but I include myself as one of the few) would be willing to put far more than they paid for the car into a new battery. It is a hard nut to crack. If you buy for 6k-8k but a new pack cost $14K how many will make the commitment, and how many will pay another $6K-$8K for newer used Leaf when the time comes the original will no longer meet their needs?

Dala's latest video of the adapter. (CCS2)

This CCS/Chademo adapter should be a game-changer for European Leaf owners, provided it does work as shown. The main drawback at the moment is price - at least £800 in the UK. But, given that new public rapid chargers around here seem to be mostly CCS-only, this adapter should mean that long-term ownership of my Leaf (and longer road trips) becomes a realistic prospect. I guess there'll be a sizeable market for these so I think I'll wait to see what competing products appear over the next while. But overall this is a very pleasing development!!

Back