Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
I've found a problem with his story.
That and didn't they say it was a change to the separator (ceramic coated) and not necessarily a change to the chemistry?

For example:
Polypore (PPO) Likely to Continue as Supplier for Nissan LEAF Battery

I wonder if Nissan is planning on making this change at the same time they increase production volume in the USA since separator supply is rumored to be one of the limiting to production volume.

Rumors are that Polypore may be losing the separator business to someone else as well when Nissan shifts to the ceramic coated separator as Polypore's price may be higher than the competition. Polypore Down 6% on Rumor It May Lose Big Auto Business (PPO)

What we really need is both the separator and a chemistry tweak to improve capacity. I would be really happy if I could get a replacement battery with even 15% more range and significantly better calendar life. Losing 15% (~10 miles) range in 2.5 years really hurts.

mwalsh said:
Yes, we've talked about the lack of a ceramic coating before. In case you haven't read it elsewhere...this is something the Volt's cells have always had.

And I'm very impressed with how well my Volt's battery is holding up, so far. Whether it's special chemistry or ceramic separators or BMS magic, I'm still getting the same 40+-miles-per-charge range as I was when I got the car in June. If this was a LEAF, one South Florida summer would have, easily, knocked 10% off the capacity.

It's a neat, little car. If it continues to do well for another couple of Florida summers, I'll, definitely, get another one when the lease expires in 2016.

dm33 said:
surfingslovak said:
Nissan is readying a new lithium-ion chemistry for its Leaf electric car, aimed at better range performance in hot-weather climates. And it's likely bound for all Leaf models in the first half of next year.
I wonder how a consumer will know if a vehicle has the new chemistry or not. If not on model year, I wonder if they'll slip it in with no clear mention. Its a more important change than any 2014 changes.

whether or not they receive a coupon for a hot battery swap as part of their new owners kit

;)

DaveinOlyWA said:
whether or not they receive a coupon for a hot battery swap as part of their new owners kit

;)

It'd be nice if the old "cold" batteries were used for replacement batteries in northern states but I guess they could just resell them for use as storage for PV and such instead when they give users the new "hot" batteries.

What do you think they would do with a basically brand new battery if they gave new car owners a battery swap coupon?

dhanson865 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

;)

It'd be nice if the old "cold" batteries were used for replacement batteries in northern states but I guess they could just resell them for use as storage for PV and such instead when they give users the new "hot" batteries.

What do you think they would do with a basically brand new battery if they gave new car owners a battery swap coupon?

dont quote me on this but pretty certain there are caveats to the swap process other than "i dont like the color and I have this coupon" logic

Well that rules out X for me. Back to 85kW S with tech and air suspension. Might even lose the suspension.
If there was a "range" model with different gearing and motor I would get it. No need for the outsized acceleration or speed.

Another 70 mile and dropping LEAF is just not going to happen.

omkar said:
Lost my third bar ~Nov 19th ~33700 miles.
My sympathies. For those who don't know southern California, you should be appalled. It's probably the most mild climate outside the coast of San Diego. :cry:

omkar said:
Lost my third bar ~Nov 19th ~33700 miles.
I expect to lose my 3rd very soon although I will have about 10k more miles.
Same city. BTW Quail Hill shopping center now has a QC.

At least you seem to be on track for a warranty battery replacement. It will kill me if I just barely miss the warranty.

Back