Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gaswalla said:
horrible news to hear about losing 3 bars already in Coastal So. Cal. How far is your range nowadays?

That he took delivery only a week before me is what made me say "Yikes!". I don't know where his car "lives", where I know mine "lives" only 5 miles from the beach on workdays and around 18 miles inland during the weekend and other days off. But that's about the only difference that might exist between our two cars.

We moved near the Pasadena area (still in SoCal but warmer days and cooler nights than Irvine) about 4 months ago.

The initial low battery warning comes on after 40-50 miles.

My lease ends in a few weeks. Although I'm not pleased about the capacity loss, I really do like the car and I may do a 2 year lease on a new Leaf.

omkar said:
Lost my third bar ~Nov 19th ~33700 miles.

Omkar, do you have LeafSpy or other OBDII reader to get more info about full charge GIDs, Health, AHr, etc for your your current 3 lost bars? I'm also in So Cal, Tustin, very close to Irvine, and I lost 2 bars in July 2013 ! I have only 22000 miles.

For some odd reason I haven't lost my first bar yet. Capacity down to 55.06 Ah. Should be happening any day now, as I am approaching 2.5 years of Leaf ownership.

I have been in the mid 55.x since June 2013, why today and not June 2014? No one knows. My real capacity won't be going down until the weather warms up.

Corrected typo.

Stoaty said:
For some odd reason I haven't lost my first bar yet. Capacity down to 55.06 Ah. Should be happening any day now, as I am approaching 2.5 years of Leaf ownership.

Yes, same situation here too, mine is down to 54.37 the last time I checked, but I've still got all 12 bars so far. It's really quite strange.

occ said:
Omkar, do you have LeafSpy or other OBDII reader to get more info about full charge GIDs, Health, AHr, etc for your your current 3 lost bars? I'm also in So Cal, Tustin, very close to Irvine, and I lost 2 bars in July 2013 ! I have only 22000 miles.

No, I don't. 2 bars at 22,000 miles seems quite fast. I lost my first at 19,000 (1 year 8 months), second at 29,500 (2 years 5 months), and third at 33,700 (2 years 11 months).

To whom do I send an update to the Real World Battery Capacity Loss on the Nissan LEAF Wiki?

I am the owner of Vin 0561 which reported a capacity loss of 1 bar on August 26, 2012 (#78).

The update that needs to be posted is

Lost Bar #2 (10 bars remaining) at 13,926 miles on November 29, 2013, Case #924-9670, after 31.5 months. Capacity loss remains at about 20%, range new was 75 and is now approximately 55-60 miles at 60 MPH with A/C on. I am current on all software upgrades.

27 month old leaf lost one bar, 11 remaining.

And now the regen circles do not all light up. Never see the last circle light up double. and the second to last if not double circles most of the time. In year one and two I was re-generating about a 1/3 of my electric. This change is effect that number.

I live quite close to La Canada and have the LeafSpy. Send a PM if you want a reading from your car.

omkar said:
No, I don't. 2 bars at 22,000 miles seems quite fast. I lost my first at 19,000 (1 year 8 months), second at 29,500 (2 years 5 months), and third at 33,700 (2 years 11 months).

Just an observation: I did not have the means to track battery capacity last winter, but this year with LeafDD I find it interesting to see Amp-hours slowly increasing as daily temperatures drop. After briefly dipping below 52 in September, it has risen to 53.24. We now always charge to 100%. I was not sure how or even if P3227 would affect capacity in the cold weather, but I do expect capacity to head down fast in the summer when normal battery temps move again to 6 TB with excursions to 7 TB.

HighDesertDriver said:
I was not sure how or even if P3227 would affect capacity in the cold weather, but I do expect capacity to head down fast in the summer when normal battery temps move again to 6 TB with excursions to 7 TB.
caplossmnl

Increasing GID counts were observed last fall and winter, and this seems to align with similar changes in AH values, now that those are available. Reportedly, this effect is less pronounced post-P3227 update. Did your LEAF get it by any chance?

SilverLeaf said:
To whom do I send an update to the Real World Battery Capacity Loss on the Nissan LEAF Wiki?

I am the owner of Vin 0561 which reported a capacity loss of 1 bar on August 26, 2012 (#78).

Lost Bar #2 (10 bars remaining) at 13,926 miles on November 29, 2013, Case #924-9670, after 31.5 months. Capacity loss remains at about 20%, range new was 75 and is now approximately 55-60 miles at 60 MPH with A/C on. I am current on all software upgrades.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss#Loss_of_two_battery_capacity_bars_.2821.25.25.29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you are in as #57 on the two bar section, only missing field was "Mfg Date"

you also are the first on the list for November bar loss if I'm looking at it correctly (another December one on the list as well now).

September 37
October 9
November 1
December 2
Jan 0
Feb 0
March 1
April 6
May 28

June tons
July even more
Aug something like that

edit: found 6 Aprils and 1 March that I missed the first time around. The Winter loss free time seems to be shrinking. Just need a Jan and Feb loser to make all the months non zeros.

Still November to March seems quite mild on the batteries comparatively.

surfingslovak said:
HighDesertDriver said:
I was not sure how or even if P3227 would affect capacity in the cold weather, but I do expect capacity to head down fast in the summer when normal battery temps move again to 6 TB with excursions to 7 TB.
caplossmnl
Increasing GID counts were observed last fall and winter, and this seems to align with similar changes in AH values, now that those are available. Reportedly, this effect is less pronounced post-P3227 update. Did your LEAF get it by any chance?
Yes, ours was updated several months ago and has exhibited most of of the Gid/GOM and Regen issues observed by others. I have to admit that my closest attention is on AmpHr capacity and the possibilities of a battery warranty replacement before 5/60. I expect it to be close, and every .05 Ah increase in colder weather casts a shadow on that "race."

HighDesertDriver said:
surfingslovak said:
HighDesertDriver said:
caplossmnl
Yes, ours was updated several months ago and has exhibited most of of the Gid/GOM and Regen issues observed by others. I have to admit that my closest attention is on AmpHr capacity and the possibilities of a battery warranty replacement before 5/60. I expect it to be close, and every .05 Ah increase in colder weather casts a shadow on that "race."

I think I'd show up at the dealer at 4.9x years or 59,500 miles whichever came first just to see if they would do it at that point. And if they deny you come back again right on the 5 or 60,000 mark to have a 2nd opinion.

My hope would be that if you were within a percent or two with time left on the clock they might process it instead of turning you away and making you come back again.

dhanson865 said:
SilverLeaf said:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss#Loss_of_two_battery_capacity_bars_.2821.25.25.29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you are in as #57 on the two bar section, only missing field was "Mfg Date"

you also are the first on the list for November bar loss if I'm looking at it correctly (another December one on the list as well now).

September 37
October 9
November 1
December 2
Jan 0
Feb 0
March 1
April 6
May 28

June tons
July even more
Aug something like that

edit: found 6 Aprils and 1 March that I missed the first time around. The Winter loss free time seems to be shrinking. Just need a Jan and Feb loser to make all the months non zeros.

Still November to March seems quite mild on the batteries comparatively.

The date of manufacture is 2/2011 (February 2011)

Back