Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL! Ok! I didn't even look at the location of the dealership, just assumed it was his since he posted it. Nevermind, go back to your regularly scheduled programming... :)

With leases currently this low, after monthly gas savings, you're almost driving a new car for free. Of note is Ford's 10,500 mile per year limit on their lease agreement vs 12,000 for the LEAF. I hope Nissan goes to a short duration, lease only option for the LEAF in hot environments or at least alerts buyers to the issues being seen. A 2 year lease is the only way to go if you're going to drive an EV in Phoenix.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...se-on-2012-ford-focus-electric-matches-nissan

Just a quick check-in.

LEAF #202, 21 months, 20,757 miles, 100% on L1 every day, All 12 capacity bars present.

New reports of capacity bar loss slowed to a trickle after September, and none have been reported for 18 days to date.

http://mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss#four_bars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I have mentioned before, the rate of bar loss until next Spring will be a strong indicator of the relative contributions of actual capacity loss to "gauge error", in causing capacity bar loss. If the capacity bars were accurate (and the LEAF BMS does not adapt to temperature, limiting charge levels in hotter conditions) large numbers of new LEAFs should still be losing bars, albeit likely at a slower rate than during the Summer, when they may have actually been losing capacity at a more rapid rate.

IMO it is beginning to look like "gauge error", corresponding to battery/ambient temperatures, has very likely been a major, or even predominant, cause of LEAF capacity bar loss.

gaswalla said:
TonyWilliams said:
TRONZ said:
Just a quick check-in.

LEAF #202, 21 months, 20,757 miles, 100% on L1 every day, All 12 capacity bars present.

Have you put a Gidmeter on it? If not, I'm confident somebody nearby can.

Why do you want to ruin his happiness?

Heck, I assume folks want to know the facts!! Tronz, if you have a way to measure power from the wall, or your EVSE can measure power, here's what a brand new battery will do:

Energy from the wall from dead to 100%: 25.414 kWh
Energy from the onboard charger to battery: 22.031 kWh (86.6% charger efficiency)
Energy from the battery during discharge: 21.381 kWh (our 21kWh useable at 70F)

You can gauge battery capacity based on the above data.

edatoakrun said:
New reports of capacity bar loss slowed to a trickle after September, and none have been reported for 18 days to date.

http://mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss#four_bars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I have mentioned before, the rate of bar loss until next Spring will be a strong indicator of the relative contributions of actual capacity loss to "gauge error", in causing capacity bar loss. If the capacity bars were accurate (and the LEAF BMS does not adapt to temperature, limiting charge levels in hotter conditions) large numbers of new LEAFs should still be losing bars, albeit likely at a slower rate than during the Summer, when they may have actually been losing capacity at a more rapid rate.

IMO it is beginning to look like "gauge error", corresponding to battery/ambient temperatures, has very likely been a major, or even predominant, cause of LEAF capacity bar loss.

what good is a BMS that does not adapt? temperature is playing havoc with our data and the instrumentation so ya, we should see very few reports of lost bars until next Summer (or Spring in Phoenix :? )

maybe we should take out the "tree meter" and put in a "battery adjustment" meter based on absolute value of "1" as the pack status wanders from optimal, the value is lowered to .9 or whatever. that way we dont have to wait for Nissan to fix the software that controls these "adjustments." we can simply whip out our sliderule and recompute the dash info ourselves ;)

TRONZ said:
Just a quick check-in.

One more piece of evidence that charging to 100% doesn't appear to be a major factor affecting battery life (not that I am going to change my habits, though, since it may still make a couple percent difference per year). A bit surprising, but it certainly didn't appear to be a significant factor in the Arizona capacity bar loss saga.

Stoaty said:
TRONZ said:
Just a quick check-in.

One more piece of evidence that charging to 100% doesn't appear to be a major factor affecting battery life...

Or, just that his LEAF, living ~5 miles (?) from the Pacific Ocean, doesn't suffer from the "gauge error" problem, the more rapid capacity loss, or (perhaps) BMS charge limitation, caused by exposure to higher temperatures?

="Stoaty"...A bit surprising, but it certainly didn't appear to be a significant factor in the Arizona capacity bar loss saga.

Do you really feel you have access to the statistically significant data required to make that statement?

DaveinOlyWA said:
what good is a BMS that does not adapt?

I agree that temperature adaptable BMS would probably be a very good idea in any non-ATM EV.

But it is possible Nissan had reasons to omit this feature, if it in fact did.

At his point, I don't think we can rule out LEAF adaptive BMS, taking into account ambient temperatures (and perhaps other battery use factors) can be ruled out, though many believers in "premature battery degradation" seem to have done so.

AFAIK, there has been a "don't ask, don't tell" policy on the BMS subject, both by those who have had access to Nissan, and Nissan itself, on the battery life/capacity and range loss question.

edatoakrun said:

If it is a gauge error, why aren't bars reappearing with cooler temps? Why would it only go one way? Could it be that the capacity levels have dropped below the "quick" 20% level of the degradation curve and have now leveled off for the slower death spiral toward that last 10%? These two factors could be in play: 1.The cooler temps and 2. A slower capacity loss with time because the packs are beyond the "fast" first 15% loss on the curve already.

in Nissan's nominal line we have SOC remaining by year

1; 92 loss of 8%
2; 88 loss of 4%
3; 84 loss of 4%
4; 82 loss of 2%
5; 80 loss of 2%

which means that AZ owners who lost 4X this year would lose 2X next two years and X per year after that.

for me since i have lost 5-6% (of which i cannot directly measure) i am projected to be maybe

1; 95
2; 92.5
3; 90
4; 88.75
5; 87.5

or we could look at it another way with TaylorSF who has 57,000 miles and about a 12-14% degradation. if we equate a year being 12,000 miles then he is only a few % off my scenario.

so thinking maybe Nissan's "nominal" should be renamed to "optimal?"

TonyWilliams said:
Nissan's own data suggests faster degradation than originally forecast, even for Boston. Yes, the instruments aren't doing so well, either.

How that is so difficult to follow?
I don't follow you here. Boston shows 84% capacity remaining after 5 years from the graph TickTock made. Isn't that above 80%?

I called 1-877-nogasev today to report loss of battery capacity. I spoke with Brenda and received case # 9779455.
She asked about odom reading, when last recall/service was done, when last battery check was done, current range (62 miles actual, on D setting without hypermiling), what range I got before (77 actual same driving style), and what dealer did any service. She explained that they don't warranty battery capacity, I asked if I should be speaking to an attorney instead of speaking to Nissan (she said she is obligated to tell me certain things, like this). Oh, she also asked how I knew that the first battery capacity bar represented 15%. I told her that the forum has pictures of documents, manuals, etc. and I saw it in the forum. She advised me that Nissan does not support any forum (like this one).

She told me that Nissan is reconsidering their procedure when customers call with battery capacity issues and told me that she would call me back when she has been told about the (possibly) new procedures. She expects this to happen early next week.

I'm not sure what I want out of this. I love my LEAF and I don't need it to get more than 50-60 miles per charge, except for those times when I like to push the limits by going to either the San Francisco Bay Area or to Yosemite National Park. I waited a couple of weeks to call Nissan, after losing the bar and confirming that the range has really dropped. What really moved me to call Nissan on this was Electric Auto Association's LEAF survey. After filling it out, I sorted the results by odometer reading found that my car lost it's first bar with a pretty low reading. It's just too early, at 14,000 miles and 21 months age, to lose 15% of the battery.

When battery improvements are made, Nissan better remember those of us who are their early supporters.

Randy3 said:
Lost my first bar this morning.

VIN: 00204

Date of Loss: 10/12/2012

Odometer: 14,250

Month of Manufacture: 11/2010

Purchase Date: 01/11/2011

Times Quick Charged: zero

Times charged to 100%: about 35

Driving Style: I don't keep a running miles/kwh since purchase, but I generally get high 4's and low 5's. My wife, however, gets high 3's and low 4's (she drives it like an ICE).

Temp: I've had my LEAF for two summers, where we get about 20-30 days per summer over 100 degrees f. We avoid driving and parking the car in direct sunlight on those days. (For instance, my wife takes the our Insight to work when we know it's going to be over 100f.) Temp reading in car has been generally 6 bars for the past 3 months or so, until just the past 10 days or so, when it's been 5 bars.

Notes:
1. This morning, I charged the car to 100% and it sat for 5-6 hours before I used it. I didn't think that would be a bad thing. Wouldn't that time be used to balance the cells?

2. The post-charge GOM and battery measurements have been reading differently than normal for the past few days. Other than today, I've been charging to 80%, using a timer set to end at 7am. All summer long, I've been getting post charge car wings messages that the car charged "9 out of 12 bars." But for the past few days, I've been getting "11 out of 12 bars" messages. I had not seen that before. Also, I normally get GOM readings of about 72 miles available after charging to 80%. But, for the past few (and not before), the GOM has been reading 61 miles available post 80% charge.

So, I'm open to recommendations about putting in a ticket with 1-800-NoGasEV (think I got that number right). I know the car's battery is a consumable. Maybe this is all normal. The car works well for all my around town needs. But I enjoy occasionally driving it to the San Francisco Bay Area and to Yosemite (charging along the way). I hope this has not crippled my ability to make these trips.

Randy3 said:
When battery improvements are made, Nissan better remember those of us who are their early supporters.
Don't count on it. I am still astounded at Nissan's scrambled response to the battery capacity loss issue. I was instructed to take my car to the dealer to meet with a Nissan engineer who would test my car. When I met with the field rep (not engineer) he assured me that within a week or so of his test, I would be contacted by someone from the Arbitration department. In response to a flippant comment from me that I expected to leave that day with more capacity showing than when I arrived (a la Tick Tock), he very seriously told me that "Nissan is taking this very, very seriously. They are going to do something for you. I don't know what it is, but they are going to do something for you."

The joke is that it has been two weeks since the test and I haven't heard from anyone. And my very own Nissan Customer Service phone rep isn't returning my calls. Perhaps I'm being impatient, but really, how hard is it to communicate?

Stoaty said:
TonyWilliams said:
Nissan's own data suggests faster degradation than originally forecast, even for Boston. Yes, the instruments aren't doing so well, either.

How that is so difficult to follow?
I don't follow you here. Boston shows 84% capacity remaining after 5 years from the graph TickTock made. Isn't that above 80%?

At 7600 - 7800 miles, if I recall.

Randy3 said:
She explained that they don't warranty battery capacity, I asked if I should be speaking to an attorney instead of speaking to Nissan (she said she is obligated to tell me certain things, like this). Oh, she also asked how I knew that the first battery capacity bar represented 15%. I told her that the forum has pictures of documents, manuals, etc. and I saw it in the forum. She advised me that Nissan does not support any forum (like this one).

There is a San Diego law firm looking for California plaintiffs for a "well researched" class action law suit. Let me know if you're interested.

I love these "talking head" responses, as if Nissan's support or lack of support of any forum site has any connection to the facts surrounding battery degradation.

Back