Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leafkabob said:
One of the more interesting comments below the article:
Anonymous (not verified) · 57 min ago

Those owners who are giving up on their LEAF remind me of those who lost money by messing with their 401K accounts during the 2008 crash instead of riding out the storm. I own a LEAF and am an active member of the MyNissanLeaf forum. The battery degradation issue only affects a few dozen owners. This has been blown out of proportion by the media. It has only been a few months and anyone who thinks a large company like Nissan would react quickly does not understand the auto industry. This is not a safety issue therefore the government will not force Nissan into a recall over this. Patience Please!

Boy, does that sound familiar! ;)

Yes, it does.

From the Cell Balancing 101 thread:
smkettner said:
garygid said:
Or, your car might have made an adjustment in capacity,
not enough to lose a capacity bar, but enough to make the
fuel tank a bit smaller, thus making each fuel Bar a bit smaller?
You called it right. Second morning in a row with 10 bars of charge and now first morning with 11 bars capacity.
Added to Wiki.

It's 11. If it were 12, the capacity bar would be way above the '1'. Since it's an Audi dealer, I doubt if they even know what a battery capacity bar is.

vegastar said:
It has 11 capacity bars (compared with a photo of mine which has 12 CB). At least they are keeping it at a low SOC.
Agreed as to 11 cap bars but looks like only one SOC bar, probably at LBW (I can't read the Spanish but I suspect that's what it says). Is this too low?

Dealers in the Valley of the Sun got stuck with 2 or 3 used Leafs that just flat out wouldn't sell. I haven't checked lately to see if those same ones were still for sale. Hopefully no one was unaware enough to buy one!

I can say that is not Skywagon's 11-bar Leaf... unless they repainted it. :lol:

opossum said:
I can say that is not Skywagon's 11-bar Leaf... unless they repainted it. :lol:
Arrowhead Lexus of Peoria had Skywagon's Leaf listed on eBay for a while. They took great caution not to show any photos illustrating capacity bar loss in their auction. I don't see it there anymore, it looks like it's been sold.

Or maybe just taken off the market for a while. They were going to have a hard time getting what they bought it for. I think they bought it for about $23k with 16,000 miles and one capacity bar gone.

Anyway, FYI... Heather Moore from KPHO CBS 5 is aware of what's going on these days, including the big range test event this weekend. She has been hearing from a lot of AZ and CA Leaf owners still. She's talking about doing yet another TV story next week. I just don't know what angles and footage she plans to use.

mason

So how much would ye pay for a used Leaf?
Do you think the dealer's $21,000 is too high?
I can't help remembering how I bought my insight..... Honda had produced thousands the first year but very few people were buying. 2-seats weren't enough for most people. I stopped at a dealer and the salesman showed me his back-garage. There were about twenty insights just sitting there. He said he'd sell me a red one for $12,900 just to get rid of it.
P.S.
I'd like to drive-out to Phoenix sometime. Are there any interesting spots worth seeing?

theaveng said:
I can't help remembering how I bought my insight..... Honda had produced thousands the first year but very few people were buying. 2-seats weren't enough for most people. I stopped at a dealer and the salesman showed me his back-garage. There were about twenty insights just sitting there. He said he'd sell me a red one for $12,900 just to get rid of it.
P.S.
I'd like to drive-out to Phoenix sometime. Are there any interesting spots worth seeing?

We don't have anything that compares to Shangri-La ;)

RegGuheert said:
JRP3 said:
I just saw this, looks as if it's sitting almost fully discharged, can't tell if it still has all capacity bars or not.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/ctd/3259195519.html
Here's the listing on the dealer website: Used 2011 Nissan LEAF Hatchback.

VIN is JN1AZ0CP9BT003406. It does not appear to be one of the cars listed in the Wiki (although we do not have VIN numbers for all of the listings).

I also count 11 bars.

Now the Craigslist ad has gibberish characters instead. :?:
theaveng said:
P.S.
You talking about the above $21,899 used Leaf at the Audi dealer? I guess it's not too terrible if one can live w/a lost capacity bar and can get it out of AZ pronto. I wonder if if it's an SV or SL trim.

$12.9K for the Insight back then? Wow! Was it new or used? Sheesh... if I lived down there and were interested in hybrids at the time, I might've bought one at those kind of prices.

abasile said:
Aside from heat issues and slow 3.3 kW L2 charging, the current Leaf is a great car!
+1

I have some beef with the instrumentation as well, but once you learn to live without it or manage to leverage its quirks, it becomes less of an issue.

Back