Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SanDust said:
I know it was four people.
If you have any links to proof that it was four I'd like to see it. I only saw one verified bricking.
That was exactly my point. Tesla could have looked like a hero by fixing FOUR CARS. If it wouldn't do that, what will happen if they screw up and FOUR THOUSAND cars are affected?
If they started fixing cars that were damaged by operator error, specifically not covered in the warranty, it would have opened up a huge can of worms. Remember, this was not an unforeseen issue that popped up, it was known about and warned against.
If you like buying expensive products from a startup that treats their customers like mushrooms, by all means go ahead and enjoy yourself. But 99% of the buying public isn't going to share your enthusiasm for being treated badly. The Model S is going to have its share of issues, and not many will be interested in putting themselves in the position of buying from a company which won't stand behind its product. (Basically what you're saying is that Tesla is the soup Nazi for the automobile world.)
If the issues are not operator error they will be covered. Obviously the way Tesla handled the Roadster battery incident doesn't seem to have hurt them in the least since they are sold out into next year, with reservations increasing. Seems as if the general public understands that if you mistreat your vehicle in ways specifically warned against and specifically not covered then you don't get free replacements, which is how it should be.

JRP3 said:
Seems as if the general public understands that if you mistreat your vehicle in ways specifically warned against and specifically not covered then you don't get free replacements, which is how it should be.

Once EV's are mainstream, sure the OEM's can't be expected to repair out of warranty. However SanDust's point isn't that the customers were not at fault, but that the general public are distrusting of new technology, the first sign of trouble and they discount the technology as unsuitable and unworthy of purchase. The very small cost of resolving the problem rather than let it be know an expensive pack may fail you if you don't follow directions very well, will result in lower sales.

We only have to see the impact of sales of the Volt directly after the fire debacle to realize the public do not act logically with new technology.

If the local paper reported that someone forgot to check their cars oil level and had to pay for a new engine. Car sales would not be impacted. If the same paper runs a story that someone let their battery go dead and had to pay for an expensive repair, EV sales will feel an impact. It's not fair, but it is a reality, people freak over new risks, but blindly accept old ones.. At this stage in the game Sandust makes the point that they may as well just replace under warranty to be sure they don't lose sales.

My point is that they are sold out into next year and aren't actually losing any sales because of "bricked" roadsters. Most people have no idea it was ever an issue, and with the new design of the Model S pack it's really not a concern at all.

SanDust said:
Zythryn said:
The bricking happened to a very tiny fraction of people (3 as I recall). All three ignored the instructions, verbal and in the manual, to plug in the car when not in use. On top of that, they left the cars drained and unplugged for weeks or months. Tesla is making improvements so this is much more difficult to do. But you know what happens when you build something to be more idiot proof, someone builds a better idiot;)
To my knowledge, the deposits on the roadsters was 100% refundable. Changes to pricing and specs from a new start up company is not surprising to most people. I am rather surprised the Model S pricing didn't change (happily so).
I know it was four people. That was exactly my point. Tesla could have looked like a hero by fixing FOUR CARS. If it wouldn't do that, what will happen if they screw up and FOUR THOUSAND cars are affected?

If you like buying expensive products from a startup that treats their customers like mushrooms, by all means go ahead and enjoy yourself. But 99% of the buying public isn't going to share your enthusiasm for being treated badly. The Model S is going to have its share of issues, and not many will be interested in putting themselves in the position of buying from a company which won't stand behind its product. (Basically what you're saying is that Tesla is the soup Nazi for the automobile world.)

I know ICE cars are different, but it would equate to you draining the oil and running on empty for as long as possible. Would they expect to get a new engine when theirs bricked up?

Lol, this is the fifth time I began a response regarding the Nissan/Tesla rant, and erased it. I just can't say it any better than Mr. Rickard. That rant is a gem. I'm rooting for Nissan and applaud their initiative in bringing LEAF to mass-market. I'm also rooting for Tesla. All the more reason I become disappointed when they act STUPID IN PUBLIC :lol:

After calling them three times only to find out they are already closed, I finally reported my loss to nissan. I updated the wiki.

opossum said:
5 of the 6 cars are headed back from Casa Grande tomorrow. They want to keep Scott's car until Monday...

Anyone want to read the tea leaves (no pun intended) as to why 5 come back and Scott's stays? Scott's had 3 lost bars, so maybe they need more time with it? Do the 2 bar cars get a normal/expected statement? Any changes done to the 5 that return? Will we get the transparency Nissan promised?

charge said:
Anyone want to read the tea leaves (no pun intended) as to why 5 come back and Scott's stays? Scott's had 3 lost bars, so maybe they need more time with it? Do the 2 bar cars get a normal/expected statement? Any changes done to the 5 that return? Will we get the transparency Nissan promised?

I'm wondering why Scott's 3 lost bar car stays, but the other 3-bar lost car, NOC8H18, is apparently being returned.

shrink said:
charge said:

I'm wondering why Scott's 3 lost bar car stays, but the other 3-bar lost car, NOC8H18, is apparently being returned.

Here's hoping that out of the sample of 6 cars they actually found something worthy of deep investigation with Scott's that may lead to a resolution to this issue. Or maybe they just like his fluffy dice. :lol:

charge said:
opossum said:
5 of the 6 cars are headed back from Casa Grande tomorrow. They want to keep Scott's car until Monday...

Anyone want to read the tea leaves (no pun intended) as to why 5 come back and Scott's stays?

1. Scott's car has a scorpion inside, and they are afraid to go near it

2. Scott is so happy with his ICE loaner car, he told them to keep it

3. Scott has an awesome playlist, and they play the radio while working on other cars

4. Nissan employees had a religious experience while driving it, and have made it a shrine

5. Scott's car had not yet hit 120F for 24 hours (needed to void the warranty), so they left it out in the sun an extra day

I haven't lost a bar yet, but it's right around the corner. I've noticed significant range loss, an 80% charge only gets me 9 bars, and the GOM only displays 75-80 with 100% charge. My driving habits haven't changed, and still average 4.1.

19K miles
S/N: 909
Delivery Date: 4/18/11

The car is garaged nightly, and is left uncovered in the SoCal sun 3 days out of the 7. I charge to 100% roughly 90% of the time, and QC'd twice. The only odd variable is that while we sold our house and waited in escrow (about 10 months), the car was L1 charging each night instead of L2.

I haven't reported it to NNA yet, since I haven't officially lost the bar.

z0ner said:
I haven't lost a bar yet, but it's right around the corner. I've noticed significant range loss, an 80% charge only gets me 9 bars, and the GOM only displays 75-80 with 100% charge. My driving habits haven't changed, and still average 4.1.

19K miles

The car is garaged nightly, and is left uncovered in the SoCal sun 3 days out of the 7. I charge to 100% roughly 90% of the time, and QC'd twice. The only odd variable is that while we sold our house and waited in escrow (about 10 months), the car was L1 charging each night instead of L2.

I haven't reported it to NNA yet, since I haven't officially lost the bar.

I also get 9 bars now with an 80% charge, and the GOM shows 75 rather than 83. Although I have not lost a bar yet I reported it and have a case number. It is disheartening, I used to start the car and be excited to sit in my Leaf - now I just count the bars with trepidation.

TonyWilliams said:
charge said:
opossum said:

Anyone want to read the tea leaves (no pun intended) as to why 5 come back and Scott's stays?

3. Scott has an awesome playlist, and they play the radio while working on other cars

4. Nissan employees had a religious experience while driving it, and have made it a shrine

5. Scott's car had not yet hit 120F for 24 hours (needed to void the warranty), so they left it out in the sun an extra day

6. Scott has Ingineer's Climate Control fix and they are trying to figure out how it works.

8. They expected Scott's car to have lost 4 bars by now, and can't figure out why he is only down 3 bars.

9. They are doing a stealth conversion of Scott's Leaf to a Versa and hoping he won't notice that it needs gas to run now.

10. They have his car running on a dynamometer until the odometer reads more than 100,000 mile and battery pack is out of warranty.

z0ner said:

19K miles
I may be running in the same heat (doh! no pun intended) as you.
Received my first 9-bar 80% charge this afternoon.
19.8k mi, days short of 14 mos.

For those that have lost the first bar, what were your Gid readings at 80% at that time?

TonyWilliams said:
charge said:
opossum said:

What is six? WHAT IS SIX??? I HAVE TO KNOW!!!!!

Back