Can batteries be rebuilt / recycled?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiTundra

For some of us, the benefits of efficiency of electric vehicles is somewhat offset by the production and disposal of batteries and with many estimates that Leaf batteries will need to be replaced after five to seven years. To what extent can these batteries be rebuilt and reused? Most of what I've heard is that the primary plan is to use old EV battery systems as storage capacitors in electrical generation systems (EG, store days production for use at night). Can they be effectively rebuilt for use in EV's?

Nissan says they are pursuing a 4R approach:

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/ENV...RY/DEVELOPMENT/LITHIUM_ION_BATTERY/index.html
The high-performance lithium-ion batteries used in Nissan's EVs retain up to 80% of their initial capacity after five years of use under average conditions. This means these batteries still have useful roles to play even when they are no longer used in vehicles.

In September 2010, Nissan and Sumitomo Corporation launched 4R Energy Corp., a joint venture to develop secondary-use business opportunities for used EV batteries. This company is pursuing the four Rs-reusing, reselling, refabricating and recycling lithium-ion batteries to find ways to put them to effective use in non-automotive second life applications including energy storage solutions. The intent is to add new value to used batteries and establish a closed energy cycle that will contribute to the realization of a lowcarbon society in the future.

Ski, the good news is that lithium-ion batteries are not toxic.. they can be safely stored in landfills for future recycling when copper and aluminum become real expensive.

5 to 7 years replacement is probably a worst case scenario.. we will soon see. Lots of griping about the batteries in a Prius over the years yet they have proven extremely long lived...

My friend at work has a 1998 Ford Ranger EV. He's still on the original battery pack! That pack is a +14 year old NiMH battery.
He's had it over 8 years now. He only drives it to work and shopping errands. Range is now down to 35 some odd miles, but its still providing him with transportation, he's adapted to the new range limitation.

I don't know too many people that will replace a battery pack when it gets to 80%, I know I would not. My typical commute is less than 40 miles round trip, so if it gets to 50% of life, I'll just start charging at work. When it gets to a 20 miles range, I would replace.

This whole notion that at 80% people will replace their battery packs is bunk...

For some information on Tesla's battery recycling effort in 2008, check out their article at http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/mythbusters-part-3-recycling-our-non-toxic-battery-packs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Li-ion batteries may be considered non-toxic but the major auto companies will still have to deal with disposal at end-of-life. Municipalities in Silicon Valley are collecting used batteries, including Li-ion, for recycling. There are companies starting to address this market for recycling used batteries, which will expand as EV batteries reach end-of-life.

SkiTundra said:
For some of us, the benefits of efficiency of electric vehicles is somewhat offset by the production and disposal of batteries and with many estimates that Leaf batteries will need to be replaced after five to seven years.
Why 5-7 years? Are you implying they're all going to fail under the 8 year/100K mile warranty or lose so much capacity in 5-7 years that they're going to need to be replaced anyway, possibly out of pocket?

mrradon said:
I don't know too many people that will replace a battery pack when it gets to 80%, I know I would not.

You will be surprised.. people WILL replace perfectly good batteries just because something better is available, its like a hobby upgrading your stereo or shocks :)

Herm said:
mrradon said:
I don't know too many people that will replace a battery pack when it gets to 80%, I know I would not.
You will be surprised.. people WILL replace perfectly good batteries just because something better is available, its like a hobby upgrading your stereo or shocks :)
I'm sure some do. Personally, if my battery gets down to 80% I'll just have to choose between charging to 100% rather than 80%, or charging every night rather than about 5 times a week. If it gets down to 60% I'll do both.

Ray

mrradon said:
I don't know too many people that will replace a battery pack when it gets to 80%, I know I would not. My typical commute is less than 40 miles round trip, so if it gets to 50% of life, I'll just start charging at work. When it gets to a 20 miles range, I would replace.
The Leaf will be very useful for me as long as it has a real life range of 50 miles. Since my conservative driving style gets about 100 miles to a charge, I figure 50% of capacity remaining will be the cutoff for me, unless there are chargers available near work. Then it would be 25%.

SkiTundra said:
To what extent can these batteries be rebuilt and reused?
I dunno, but if it is indeed true that we're only getting to use 21.x kWh of the battery's supposed 24 kWh, it's entirely possible that as the car ages, all it would take is a turn of the proverbial screwdriver to make the rest of the 2.x kWh capacity available, such that available capacity will remain 21.x kWh for quite a while. Why not? I can make WAG's and dream.

SkiTundra said:
Most of what I've heard is that the primary plan is to use old EV battery systems as storage capacitors in electrical generation systems (EG, store days production for use at night). Can they be effectively rebuilt for use in EV's?
Plus, 80% of even 21.X kWh (not 24 kWh) is still enough for about 60-70% of our daily average electricity consumption i.e. the battery would be still be plenty useful as a electricity storage device. As such, its residual/trade-in value would probably be more than slightly meaningful.

I'm wondering at what capacity loss will the battery pack still be usable enough to sell it on the secondary market...
I would like to get as much use out of it before practically giving it away... I am hoping the batteries are still marketable (or at least cheap to recycle) after the capacity gauge drops below about 7 bars, maybe even 8!

Mottyski82 said:
I'm wondering at what capacity loss will the battery pack still be usable enough to sell it on the secondary market...
I would like to get as much use out of it before practically giving it away... I am hoping the batteries are still marketable (or at least cheap to recycle) after the capacity gauge drops below about 7 bars, maybe even 8!
It really depends on the price of a replacement (or the cost to rebuild) battery.

Back