Bosch Introduces <$450 L2 EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you order (or pre-order) one of the Bosch units?

Any predictions on future reliability? I'm a little leery of a new, untested EVSE brand. It seems that some EVSEs (like Blink) have a lot more issues, while others just work. I'd probably lean towards one of the existing time-tested EVSE brands, even if it costs a bit more, but maybe I'm too paranoid.

Anything I have ever owned with a Bosch name on it has been very reliable. I would expect the same from the Bosch EVSE.

Blink on the other hand is total garbage.

schamberlin said:
How do you order (or pre-order) one of the Bosch units?

http://www.pluginnow.com/how-order" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KJD said:
Anything I have ever owned with a Bosch name on it has been very reliable. I would expect the same from the Bosch EVSE.

Blink on the other hand is total garbage.

Note that the new Blink HQ series is basically the same as the Bosch but with a black cover instead of a white one. I'm not sure if they will offer a 16 amp version like Bosch though.

Both versions are supposedly re-branded SPX(?) units.

An astute person on Teslamotorsclub pointed out this unit and Blink's newer EVSE look like rebadged Delta EVSEs (http://www.delta.com.tw/product/rd/evcs/evcs_product.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

cwerdna said:
An astute person on Teslamotorsclub pointed out this unit and Blink's newer EVSE look like rebadged Delta EVSEs (http://www.delta.com.tw/product/rd/evcs/evcs_product.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
Sure does. https://www.blinknetwork.com/chargers-residential.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Specs are the same as the EL-51253 30A 18ft model - the biggest difference is that the Bosch does not appear to have the 2-8 hour delay timer and is $106 cheaper.

But you do get that $100 Blink card which makes the two units basically the same if you can use 100 hours of public charging in 6 months.

Bosch installer came by this morning. Says Bosch told them they'll get their first unit for an install scheduled for next wednesday (June 5). Soon as I have the estimate for install I'll let you all know. They are supposedly matching AV's warranty 3 years on the unit - if they install -3 years on service/install.

Estimate came in today at $2,002 for 30a 18' Bosch unit, shipping, install, permit, 3 year labor/product warranty. Only tax additional (6% on unit). We have the 30% fed tax credit and our state has a 20% credit - so it's a thousand bucks.

Local electrician quoted $755 plus 200 for the permit (I checked - county charges 99 - so he's doubling for admin). Then I would buy the unit on my own and pay shipping 563+25 - total 1543 - but no warranty on labor costs if the unit has a problem and has to be un and re installed.

Thinking I should go with the Bosch.

So should I bother to get an aeronvironment quote as well?

You still get the fed/state credits if a local electrician installs, right? If so, then you're still talking about a $500 difference. Primary difference is the warranty. Wouldn't cost $500 to do an uninstall/reinstall.

If you have the option, use a credit card that doubles the warranty, and then you're only looking at a 1yr warranty difference instead of 2.

altoklez said:
Estimate came in today at $2,002 for 30a 18' Bosch unit, shipping, install, permit, 3 year labor/product warranty. Only tax additional (6% on unit). We have the 30% fed tax credit and our state has a 20% credit - so it's a thousand bucks.
Did you lease your LEAF, or buy it? If you bought it you probably can't get the 30% federal tax credit on the EVSE. See this thread for details:
EVSE - credit ... seems to be more complex than simply AMT

You may think you are immune to AMT, but trying to take both the $7,500 EV credit and this credit changes all that.

Ray

ITestStuff said:
... Wouldn't cost $500 to do an uninstall/reinstall. ...
Most of these indoor installs are done with a plug and cord. That means "uninstalling" is just a matter of unplugging it and unbolting it from the wall. When I moved, I uninstalled and reinstalled at the new place myself. The electrician just ran the circuit and receptacle at the new house.

It's by percentage, not a flat rate, so one would cost $1000, the other, $770 - a $230 difference net net... but the warranty idea is great - and since it's a two year lease at least I'm covered though this car.... then maybe a tesla upgrade :cool:

davewill said:
ITestStuff said:
... Wouldn't cost $500 to do an uninstall/reinstall. ...
Most of these indoor installs are done with a plug and cord. That means "uninstalling" is just a matter of unplugging it and unbolting it from the wall. When I moved, I uninstalled and reinstalled at the new place myself. The electrician just ran the circuit and receptacle at the new house.

Except that it's an outdoor installation.... so it goes to a junction box....

I have yet to evaluate the Bosch/Delta/Blink unit, but my guess is this is made by Lear or Delphi. Lear doesn't have a good track record, so let's hope that's not the case!

Delphi is OEM'ing many EVSE's now, and the handle definitely looks Delphi.

As soon as I can get one, I'll give it a thorough evaluation.

-Phil

I have a Bosch Power max. I ordered it back in June and it took them a long time to send it because it had just come out and they said they had to evaluate them. I never got charged and it never came so I thought they canceled the order and I didn't want to wait anymore so I bought and installed a AV unit from amazon for 800 dollars That's my primary unit I use every day... 2 weeks later my credit card got charged and the EVSE showed up on my doorstep. Instead of returning it, I mounted it on a stand and installed a cord and plug and turned it into a semi portable full sized charger. I've used it several times, and I think it's a good EVSE. It doesn't have the brand of cord that gave so much trouble on the blinks. If anyone lives in Seattle wants to have a look at it shoot me a pm.

I called Bosch today to check on availability, and they said about 90 days before its back in stock. Went to order a Schneider from Home Depot, and it's backordered about 10 days

Back