Clipper Creek HCS-40 30-amp 240V EVSE $590

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nexusplexus

Looks to compete against Bosch EVSE
http://stores.homestead.com/ClipperCreekInc/StoreFront.bok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charging Station / HCS-40, 30A, 240V Charging, 25' cord, Hardwired
New Product Special Limited Time Offer
Charging Amperage: 30A
Supply Circuit: 208/240V, 40A
Installation: Hard Wired
Cord Length: 25 feet
Enclosure: NEMA 4; indoor/outdoor rated, fully sealed
Warranty: 3 years
Dimensions: 19.7”L x 8.9”W x 5.3”D
Made in America

http://www.plugincars.com/first-electric-cars-now-price-war-ev-charging-equipment-129068.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This looks like a well designed product. There is a video on youtube to demonstrate how tough it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4fhGP22653g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am curious why so many EVSEs are rated 30A. None are 32A or 24A, which would make the optimal use of the supply electric circuit.

I would think there would be a competitive advantage for somebody to make a 32A charger, which would charge an extra 2 miles every hour, but nobody does that.

Does anybody know what limits the EVSEs to 30A?

ggpa said:
I am curious why so many EVSEs are rated 30A. None are 32A or 24A, which would make the optimal use of the supply electric circuit.

I would think there would be a competitive advantage for somebody to make a 32A charger, which would charge an extra 2 miles every hour, but nobody does that.

Leviton does make a 32 amp EVSE: http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-EVB32-M5L-Charging-Station-25-Feet/dp/B00DG147MM/ref=dp_ob_title_hi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, at $999, the extra 2 amps are not worth it at all when compared to the price of the latest Clipper Creek unit or even the new Bosch 30 amp models.

Plus, few EV's currently on the market can accept more than 30 amps anyway. Nothing under $40k MSRP that I can think of.

The Leaf was limited to 16 amps until MY 2013, and the base model without the optional QC port still is. Even a Leaf with a 6.6 kW on-board charger doesn't use all 30 amps (6600 watts / 240 volts = 27.5 amps).

I suspect lack of current market need is why the industry does not bother with a 32 amp EVSE other than Leviton.

srl99 said:
The Ford Focus EV and Honda Fit EV (lease only) charge at 32A.

Have you measured these charge rates? That is simply the recommended EVSE not the charge rate. Nissan states the same however a LEAF with the charge package charges at 27 amps, or more correctly "uses" 27 amps and charges at about 25 amps not the stated and incorrect 32. These figures are marketing "fluff". The reality is that at hame a few amps is mostly irrelevant since you are likely charging overnight and when you charge an hour is only a few minutes difference. The big difference comes with a much larger onboard charger, Ie 9kw, 12kw and of course in most cases when you are away form home not at home.

RonDawg said:
Leviton does make a 32 amp EVSE: http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-EVB32-M5L-Charging-Station-25-Feet/dp/B00DG147MM/ref=dp_ob_title_hi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Leaf was limited to 16 amps until MY 2013, and the base model without the optional QC port still is. Even a Leaf with a 6.6 kW on-board charger doesn't use all 30 amps (6600 watts / 240 volts = 27.5 amps).

I suspect lack of current market need is why the industry does not bother with a 32 amp EVSE other than Leviton.

Thanks for the info, I did not know about the Leviton 32A unit.

I assume EVSEs will keep on dropping in price as EV adoption rises, and I expect more plug in EVSE choices to become available. It is also interesting how vendors are trying to boost margins by doing things like offering various cable lengths.

It seems to me that ClipperCreek just did a lot of engineering to build a high quality EVSE, but missed an easy opportunity to gain extra bragging rights by making for a minor adjustment in the pilot signal.

Ordered one last week. UPS says it will be delivered on Friday.

Although I've not been having any problems getting recharged over night on the 110v for the daily commute, I'd like to be able to know that if I need to use a lot of charge on a weekend morning I can grab a meaningful amount of charge at home & then head out again in the evening.

CC was very helpful in making sure I got the unit well before the 12/31 tax credit deadline.

Mark

ggpa said:

I think it has more to do with wire in the cord vs supply. #10 wire is generally go to 30 amps and that is where the rating falls. Otherwise you are down to 20 amps with #12 or up to 40 amps with #8.

40a evse and 50a supply lets both run at the max.

About as difficult as using a screwdriver. :)

If you can understand hot-hot-neutral-ground, and get the right color wire to the right location, you've got it made.

Staque said:
About as difficult as using a screwdriver. :)

If you can understand hot-hot-neutral-ground, and get the right color wire to the right location, you've got it made.
Actually an EVSE only uses hot-hot-ground. If the plug and cord has a neutral, it needs to be capped off with a wire nut and not connected it inside the EVSE at all.

smkettner said:
ggpa said:

I think it has more to do with wire in the cord vs supply. #10 wire is generally go to 30 amps and that is where the rating falls. Otherwise you are down to 20 amps with #12 or up to 40 amps with #8.

40a evse and 50a supply lets both run at the max.

30 amps was the original J1772 spec until Tesla petitioned to have it raised to 80 amps.

Back