Battery Replacement Program Details

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thankyouOB said:
(--last June--)

Moreover, are you saying that there is no way to purchase a new battery and OWN it? (1)
This is a complete bait and switch from what we were promised, and that, to be colloquial, sucks.
i dont lease. i dont want, like or ever do monthly payments.

i want to buy the part and get value for my old part, which is recyclable. I can do that with the 12-volt but not the operating battery? (2)

if I am in an accident, and the battery needs replacement, there is a price for the part. Well, WHAT IS IT? (3)

as an aside, if I decide to lease the new battery in 2014, and the new battery loses range or a bar so that i want to replace it in 2016, can i re-up again for the lease program and ask for a new one instead of keep paying for a degraded battery at $100 a month? (4)

please answer these 4 questions. i have numbered them for convenience.
--

In two weeks, I will have owned RED for three years and 36k miles; and I still cannot buy a battery, when I want or need one.

For right now, I would be happy just to hear some details on the new Lizard Battery.

The continued silence from Nissan regarding traction battery price is really wierd. It makes no sense. In my 60+ years of driving about 25 different makes/models of cars, this is a 1st for me. :?

derkraut said:
The continued silence from Nissan regarding traction battery price is really wierd. It makes no sense. In my 60+ years of driving about 25 different makes/models of cars, this is a 1st for me. :?
I agree it is pretty strange.

Not a good way to build customer loyalty that's for sure.

I took my 2011 Leaf in because I had only 8 bars. Nissan tested it for 3 days and determined that it was normal battery life degradation and sent me on my way. So much for your warranty Mr. Brockman!

aaeet7w said:
I took my 2011 Leaf in because I had only 8 bars. Nissan tested it for 3 days and determined that it was normal battery life degradation and sent me on my way. So much for your warranty Mr. Brockman!

Wait, how can this be, the warranty clearly states more than 3 bar loss is a warranty case?

Valdemar said:
aaeet7w said:
Wait, how can this be, the warranty clearly states more than 3 bar loss is a warranty case?
I'm not going to read too much into a poster claiming this on his first post to the forum. Perhaps he only had 8 fuel bars. ;)

Stoaty said:
Valdemar said:
aaeet7w said:
I'm not going to read too much into a poster claiming this on his first post to the forum. Perhaps he only had 8 fuel bars. ;)

Give me your cell number and I will text you photos of my capacity bars. The first one will be before they had my car, shows 8 bars. The second one will be after they told me that it was normal battery degradation and my particular 2011 Leaf was not covered under the extended warranty, shows 12 bars. They manipulated the capacity display.

They likely reset the BMS which is fairly common... It'll drift back down to 8 (or whatever) over time... This has happened to a number of people.

Had your car previously had the P3227 BMS software update?

aaeet7w said:
Give me your cell number and I will text you photos of my capacity bars. The first one will be before they had my car, shows 8 bars. The second one will be after they told me that it was normal battery degradation and my particular 2011 Leaf was covered under the extended warranty, shows 12 bars. They manipulated the capacity display.

Stoaty said:
Valdemar said:
aaeet7w said:

Do you really think they would keep my car for 3 days for an "8 fuel bars" problem?

The old software had a tolerance of plus or minus 10% and limited temperature compensation. The new software is plus 0 and minus 5 percent and adds better compensation. There is a very long thread on it elsewhere on this board. I would assume they updated your software, if it had not been done already, when you brought it in...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13273&hilit=p3227+bms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aaeet7w said:
What did the P3227 BMS software update do exactly?

TomT said:
The old software had a tolerance of plus or minus 10% and limited temperature compensation. The new software is plus 0 and minus 5 percent and adds better compensation. There is a very long thread on it elsewhere on this board. I would assume they updated your software, if it had not been done already, when you brought it in...
If the OP is really down 4 bars with the updated software, the capacity bars will drift down to that level over the next couple of months. Another good reason to get the update now rather than wait until you want to make a warranty claim: avoids the wasted time only to find the battery isn't as bad as indicated. Most likely they tested the battery, found it wasn't as bad as the 4 bar loss indicated, installed the software update, and are waiting to see how many capacity bars have actually been lost. My guess would be a 3 bar loss; the OP will probably qualify for the warranty in another 5-6 months after another hot summer (assuming he doesn't go over 60,000 miles before then).

I was told since I had no bad cells and there were no error codes that Nissan considered the degradation normal and "my" particular 2011 Leaf was not covered under the extended battery warranty.

aaeet7w said:
I was told since I had no bad cells and there were no error codes that Nissan considered the degradation normal and "my" particular 2011 Leaf was not covered under the extended battery warranty.

All 2011/12 LEAF owners should have got a warranty sticker to put in the warranty manual stating there is a capacity warranty for 60,000 miles/5yrs. Did you get such a sticker in the mail? It came with a letter from Nissan.

Stoaty said:
TomT said:
If the OP is really down 4 bars with the updated software, the capacity bars will drift down to that level over the next couple of months. Another good reason to get the update now rather than wait until you want to make a warranty claim: avoids the wasted time only to find the battery isn't as bad as indicated. Most likely they tested the battery, found it wasn't as bad as the 4 bar loss indicated, installed the software update, and are waiting to see how many capacity bars have actually been lost. My guess would be a 3 bar loss; the OP will probably qualify for the warranty in another 5-6 months after another hot summer (assuming he doesn't go over 60,000 miles before then).

Judging by his/her sig the OP has 12,000 more miles to go till the warranty runs down. In my experience my battery settled back to previous levels after about 4-6 weeks from the S/W update. I'd say it'll be back to 8 bars in 2-3 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back