Battery Replacement Program Details

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
drees said:
thankyouOB said:
how critical to battery life is a one-time exposure for painting to 110 degrees for several hours?
does degradation require repeated >110 experiences.
1 hour at 110F is like 2 hours at 92F is like 4 hours at 74F. See Arrhenius' Equation.

Keep in mind it will take some time for the pack to actually heat up to 110F even in an oven.

It's not until you get to like 130F when the separator starts to melt/curl that you reach a critical temperature.

thanks to you and tom, any others who answered.
must tell body shop. bumper whacked by careless driver.

JPWhite said:
tcherniaev said:
For me this issue with battery replacement has been becoming more real every day. With one bar gone (and second bar not far behind) and 34k miles on the odometer, my range is limited and will render my car mostly unusable next winter. I am sure there are many others in the similar position.

That makes two of us. I've been thinking along similar lines that this winter will be the make or break winter for my LEAF. One bar gone, 45,000 miles, about 19% degraded at this time.

I just hope that replacement battery lease program provides some kind of an option for a larger battery pack. Surely, with improvement in technology over the past 4 years they could fit additional 20-30% of capacity into the same form factor... Having even additional 20% capacity should make my car usable again until it hits something like 120k miles.

tcherniaev said:
I just hope that replacement battery lease program provides some kind of an option for a larger battery pack. Surely, with improvement in technology over the past 4 years they could fit additional 20-30% of capacity into the same form factor... Having even additional 20% capacity should make my car usable again until it hits something like 120k miles.

I hope you are right, that certainly would be very welcome.

The pessimistic side of me wonders if 2011/12 vehicles will be left out in the cold with regard to battery technology updates. The 2013 Model Year saw modifications to the battery pack and EV electronics equipment/configuration, along with markedly more vehicles sold since the introduction of the 2013 model. As a result relatively few LEAF drivers now drive the 2011/12 models using the original configuration. The cost of engineering to this small/fixed group would probably be more than Nissan would be willing to do. Like you I think they should do it, but their track record hasn't been exemplary, so I am not optimistic. Nissan indicated at one time that a 6.6 kWh charger would be a straightforward retrofit for the LEAF, never happened.

Better battery density doesn't automatically translate to more capacity, they may choose to make packs lighter and keep the capacity the same.

I would like to know if anyone got anything in the mail or call from Nissan on the details of this program.
Is there any update on how or when we can sign up for this?
They said it will happen first half of 2014? It is June 2014 already...

surfsnow said:
I would like to know if anyone got anything in the mail or call from Nissan on the details of this program.
Is there any update on how or when we can sign up for this?
They said it will happen first half of 2014? It is June 2014 already...

Details haven't been announced yet. Still "soon".

It's kind of like SONY... Soon Only Not Yet.

evchels said:
surfsnow said:
Is there any update on how or when we can sign up for this? They said it will happen first half of 2014? It is June 2014 already...
Details haven't been announced yet. Still "soon".

If a miracle happens and it materializes I doubt there will be many takers. I suspect this program was announced as a part of damage control PR than Nissan launched when accelerated battery degradation made news, and was never meant to be real.

Valdemar said:
If a miracle happens and it materializes I doubt there will be many takers. I suspect this program was announced as a part of damage control PR than Nissan launched when accelerated battery degradation made news, and was never meant to be real.

I have to agree. It was announced on June 20 - the last day possible to meet the promise of an announcement in "spring 2013" regarding a price for a replacement battery. The original announcement was light on details and there were many thorny issues which a detailed policy would have to address. The original announcement promised more details by end of last year, but no follow-on announcements have been provided. Even the price was a round number - $100/month - that seemed like it came from some customer survey results rather than a detailed price calculation that normally occurs for any new product or service. Taken together, my conclusion is that the sole purpose of the announcement was to buy time.

I suspect that the extremely negative response to the June 20, 2013 announcement is one of the reasons Nissan continues to delay with additional information. But as they promised the program would be underway in the first half of 2014 they are facing another deadline in just a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back