Battery Replacement Program Details

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An extended warranty on the entire vehicle makes a lot of sense. Bundle a bumper-to-bumper in with the battery lease and I'd be far more inclined to consider it. Especially since I expect to drop $1100 cash money into an extended warranty next year. After all, the amount of repair these vehicles should need appears to be pretty darn minimal as of now.

mwalsh said:
An extended warranty on the entire vehicle makes a lot of sense. Bundle a bumper-to-bumper in with the battery lease and I'd be far more inclined to consider it. Especially since I expect to drop $1100 cash money into an extended warranty next year. After all, the amount of repair these vehicles should need appears to be pretty darn minimal as of now.

Read the details of the extended warranty carefully, exclusions have been added to the current Leaf extended warranty offered by Nissan.

doug401 said:
Nubo said:
doug401 said:
So true...

So my great idea of replacing my Leaf battery with a new one, and using the old Leaf battery to convert my sailboat to electric propulsion isn't going to happen?

After some thought, this may be exactly the kind of thing they are trying to avoid. Use of their "intellectual property" in "unauthorized" forms. Sailboats, dune buggys, converting other cars, use of individual modules, etc...
Interesting... I thought of it as another way for Nissan to make two battery sales to one Leaf customer, and in my case, a way to make the Leaf more appealing, valuable, flexible and, as a result, a life long customer. :cool:

Sadly, I just listed my Leaf for sale on Craigslist.

It is all about control you know. Control of "intellectual property" like you point out, and control of the people who use it. But you can't control idealists.

Just a follow up...
It didn't take long. My 2011 is sold. This battery fiasco is no longer my problem. I can use any lithium chemistry from any manufacturer for electric propulsion in my sailboat. I admit... buying the Leaf was a mistake. The irony.... I just leased a 2013 SL premium to replace it. :eek:

myleaf said:
mwalsh said:

Read the details of the extended warranty carefully, exclusions have been added to the current Leaf extended warranty offered by Nissan.

Interesting.

I got my extended warranty at time of purchase. Wonder if I'm grandfathered into the terms as they were then, or if my warranty has changes to reflect recent modifications.

JPWhite said:
myleaf said:
mwalsh said:

Interesting.

I got my extended warranty at time of purchase. Wonder if I'm grandfathered into the terms as they were then, or if my warranty has changes to reflect recent modifications.

I bought my extended warranty a few weeks after purchase and my extended warranty contract does not list the many added limitations. Of particular interest to me is that there seems to be many items excluded for AZ such as motors, etc.

doug401 said:
Just a follow up...
It didn't take long. My 2011 is sold. This battery fiasco is no longer my problem. I can use any lithium chemistry from any manufacturer for electric propulsion in my sailboat. I admit... buying the Leaf was a mistake. The irony.... I just leased a 2013 SL premium to replace it. :eek:
Congratulations. :D
Leasing a 2013 premium SL is a good move.
I'm still recommending leasing one to people that ask, just strongly discouraging buying one.
Must still be some demand for used LEAFs in WA for it to sell that quickly.
Would you like to share what the market clearing price was for a 2011 LEAF?

This program is a battery replacement program. Once you require a new battery you get a new one on a lease basis... looks like you have to pay the $100 a month forever at that point....

Came across this video recently.

http://youtu.be/cWowrrb4ZKs?t=33m12s

Jack Rickard says Tesla have the technology but don't understand how to market it, but Nissan have it right with the $100/month 'battery club for men' but don't have the swap technology.

Interesting to see a commentator understand the benefits of Nissan's program.
Eliminates battery anxiety, depreciation and the battery keeps getting better as new tech is introduced.

Let's evaluate this program for what it is, rather than what it isn't. It isn't a battery price, which disappoints many here who were expecting that, but this program on its own merits isn't all that bad.

50+ pages of angst isn't because the program is no good, but because Nissan refuse to give a battery price.

JPWhite said:
50+ pages of angst isn't because the program is no good, but because Nissan refuse to give a battery price.
I don't disagree with that JP.
I just don't understand why they don't explain themselves better.
Instead they appear to be following a misguided marketing mentality that wants to avoid truth and paint rose colored glasses pictures.
They started with excessive talk about 100 mile range.
They talked too much about 5 year, 80% capacity; 8 year 70% capacity.
They promise a battery price, instead only give a rental price, with no explanation.
Appears clear that the thoughts that electric vehicle total cost of ownership would beat ICE is probably erroneous for many people. But Nissan won't talk about that.
Truth would be a lot more useful, but a lot of companies including Nissan seem to have forgotten that.
The lack of truth and information leads to people making uninformed decisions, like the guy in Texas that bought a 2 capacity bar loss used 2011 LEAF and thought he could drive 85 mph on the interstate. Communicate truth and a lot less people will make such mistakes.
And we might begin to trust Nissan again.

TimLee said:
doug401 said:
Just a follow up...
Congratulations. :D
Leasing a 2013 premium SL is a good move.
I'm still recommending leasing one to people that ask, just strongly discouraging buying one.
Must still be some demand for used LEAFs in WA for it to sell that quickly.
Would you like to share what the market clearing price was for a 2011 LEAF?

Thanks,
"Fiasco" may have been too strong a word. I just don't like unknowns with something I've purchased. Now I don't care about the battery. A much nicer place to be mentally, and financially. And my "buying the Leaf was a mistake" comment was off too. Not really a mistake at the time, because leases were a lot more expensive back then. Battery leasing.. like it or not, it's still a great car. I wonder if Toyota/Tesla are going to pull the same stunt with my RAV battery?

doug401 said:
Thanks,
"Fiasco" may have been too strong a word. I just don't like unknowns with something I've purchased. Now I don't care about the battery. A much nicer place to be mentally, and financially. And my "buying the Leaf was a mistake" comment was off too. Not really a mistake at the time, because leases were a lot more expensive back then. Battery leasing.. like it or not, it's still a great car. I wonder if Toyota/Tesla are going to pull the same stunt with my RAV battery?

Given the prices for used Leafs at the moment, I would suspect that the difference between the purchase price for the new Leaf and the selling price for it now would have covered a pre-paid battery exchange a la Tesla, if Nissan ever had bothered to offer something like this?

TimLee said:
Instead they appear to be following a misguided marketing mentality that wants to avoid truth and paint rose colored glasses pictures.
They started with excessive talk about 100 mile range...
Unfortunately this "100 mile" range crap still happens at some dealers.

To top if off, a European Nissan exec just a few weeks ago made the claim the Leaf's range is up to 200 km (124 miles) now. :roll: See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=304180#p304180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Nissan rob the 2011 & 2012 resale values down the tub. Thanks for nothing to early supporter.

Every time I start my car now I click "Decline" to share my data with Nissan. I no longer recommend Nissan Leaf to my friends or people that ask. I tell them go buy a Tesla, Honda, Ford, iMev or other brand.

My friend just listed his Nissan Leaf for sale on Craig list due to the $100 battery lease for life.

My Leaf now degrades to point that was promise 100 miles. Now it's so unbearable to drive after 2 years.

Nissan big disappointment to early adopter and now screw them over by stealing their battery pack and not supporting resale values!

Never buying a Nissan agian.

cwerdna said:
To top if off, a European Nissan exec just a few weeks ago made the claim the Leaf's range is up to 200 km (124 miles) now. :roll: See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=304180#p304180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Just start from high up in French Alps ;) 124 is probably conservative :lol:

I still love my LEAF, and have only mild disappointment it's lost the range it has over the last year/18 months (even though I should have expected it). But by the same token, I am buoyed by these new DC Quick Chargers, because they'll let me get the job done in many of the instances currently outside the car's capabilities.

I am, however, a little more disappointed in this Battery Replacement Program, because I at least expected Nissan to offer a guess at to what the retail price might be for us in a few years (I honestly didn't think we'd get a price for packs we could buy tomorrow). But I'm also willing to see what (if anything) the take away is from the dialog here, and if they come back to us with the program properly fleshed out. Or scrapped (at least for purchasers) in favor of something more palatable? One lives in hope. :)

oscar said:
Nissan rob the 2011 & 2012 resale values down the tub. Thanks for nothing to early supporter.

Every time I start my car now I click "Decline" to share my data with Nissan. I no longer recommend Nissan Leaf to my friends or people that ask. I tell them go buy a Tesla, Honda, Ford, iMev or other brand.

My friend just listed his Nissan Leaf for sale on Craig list due to the $100 battery lease for life.

My Leaf now degrades to point that was promise 100 miles. Now it's so unbearable to drive after 2 years.

Nissan big disappointment to early adopter and now screw them over by stealing their battery pack and not supporting resale values!

if u want to keep your battery and not enter the battery replacement program, its easy. don't do it, sell the car when it no longer meets your needs.

theft only occurs when they take the battery without your knowledge. I belive long term resale values will hold up. the drop in current resale value is in part due to uncertainty as to when and how much a battery replacement will be needed. the program removes uncertainty which should help shore up resale values.

oscar said:

Where do you live?

JPWhite said:
...I belive long term resale values will hold up. the drop in current resale value is in part due to uncertainty as to when and how much a battery replacement will be needed. the program removes uncertainty which should help shore up resale values.
You are quite the optimist! Much as I would like for your scenario to be true I consider it unlikely.

A related concern is: what happens to all those used LEAFs that get purchased by unsuspecting (for the most part) buyers who then find out that the car has a rather short range, especially in cold weather? Could give EVs a very bad reputation.

JPWhite said:
if u want to keep your battery and not enter the battery replacement program, its easy. don't do it, sell the car when it no longer meets your needs.

I am curious how much you could get for a used leaf with a 70% battery and the only option to get it back to usability is $100/month rent. And I don't think there are many people to whom the car is much worth at an effective 40-50 miles range (and if it gets cold, take off another 20%).
Quick charging will also increasingly become less "quick" as the aged battery has higher internal resistance.

Now, for the argument, used cars aren't worth much anyways, once they reach a certain age, one has to consider that for the original owner, as long as it drives, the car has still the same functional value as it had on the first day.

I think the chief complaint here is that Nissan is destroying this value, by either forcing you to sell (and thus losing the use of the car) or enter a very unattractive rental agreement, which destroys the economy of keeping an e.g. 8 year old car.

JPWhite said:
theft only occurs when they take the battery without your knowledge. I belive long term resale values will hold up. the drop in current resale value is in part due to uncertainty as to when and how much a battery replacement will be needed. the program removes uncertainty which should help shore up resale values.

You continue with the cheering and denial of a fundamental fact: Nissan changed the terms of the sale when they refused to offer for sale the key and most expensive part for the car.
this was bait and switch at best, and the terms to get it replaced are at best, permanent usury, and that plus theft, at worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back