Anybody got the Nissan's free charging card?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sdmike1 said:
theds said:
For those of you received the card in mail, did the mail come from Nissan or the dealer? Did you contact anyone to request the card?

I got mine today. It came directly from Nissan and I didn't have to request anything. I leased my Leaf on 4/18. As someone posted before:

You sign up for EZ-Charge, and then you have to sign up at each provider that you may want to use. There's a drop down where you select your region, then they provide a list of participating providers with a link to sign up. In San Diego it's NRG, Blink and Chargepoint. However, Chargepoint doesn't participate in the free program. Nissan just makes it convenient for you to sign up.

When you click on a sign-up button, Nissan passes most of your info over to the provider to make things easy for you (VIN, name, address, EZ Charge card ID, etc.). You just add your credit card info and submit. Some also require you set up an account with login and password.

There are a lot of stations not included in the free charge program. However, I believe that the card allows you to use any station from providers you registered with. It will just cost you money to use if it's not in the program, or if you go beyond the free 30 minutes of L1 or 1 hour of L2. I think Blink gives you the option of requesting one of their cards during sign up as well.

Hope that helps

WTF?! When I called Nissan corporate office 877-NO-GAS-EV (1-877-664-2738). They said the cards were sent by the dealership where we bought/leased the Leaf, and you're getting it directly from Nissan or Evgo? I am still waiting for mine.... I guess they just don't like me :(

Hey is there anyone from San Diego who got their EZ go cards from Nissan or EVgo?

Update:
Called the corporate office again, hoping that I too can get the EZ card. Nope, only way is for my dealership to participate and must be in participating markets. I mentioned members here in this forum got the card and they purchased their vehicles in non participating markets. She didn't have an answer, only that the cards would only work in participating cities AND the VIN on the card matches the dealerships where they bought from. So that means even those peeps who have the card can't sell them to another LEAF owner such as myself and get free charging in participating cities.

Another Update:
I emailed Brian Brockman from Nissan and the local District Attorney's office in San Diego about my issue of not being eligible because I didn't purchase/lease the LEAF from a participating dealer, and Nissan didn't explain that during their press release back in April.

cantdecide said:
Got my card monday, registered on Tuesday.

Chargepoint: I tried to register with my existing account. I got into a real mess... it tells me the serial number is invalid etcetera... however looking at my chargepoint account it now has the card in there. So I'm very confused, but it might have worked.

ev-go, blink etc: registration was fine.

Tried to use it at ev-go on Wednesday... complete fail!
There were multiple people at wholefoods cupertino [ev-go] attempting to use their ez-charge card and all failed!
That seems to be the story so far with ev-go and this card, several reports on this thread and others and noone reporting success at yet.

Have they fixed the DCQC at the Whole Fodds? It's been down for a month already.

And did you register at ChargePoint using the numbers only or with the letters "OE" too?

wongfeihong187 said:
sdmike1 said:
theds said:
For those of you received the card in mail, did the mail come from Nissan or the dealer? Did you contact anyone to request the card?

I got mine today. It came directly from Nissan and I didn't have to request anything. I leased my Leaf on 4/18. As someone posted before:

You sign up for EZ-Charge, and then you have to sign up at each provider that you may want to use. There's a drop down where you select your region, then they provide a list of participating providers with a link to sign up. In San Diego it's NRG, Blink and Chargepoint. However, Chargepoint doesn't participate in the free program. Nissan just makes it convenient for you to sign up.

When you click on a sign-up button, Nissan passes most of your info over to the provider to make things easy for you (VIN, name, address, EZ Charge card ID, etc.). You just add your credit card info and submit. Some also require you set up an account with login and password.

There are a lot of stations not included in the free charge program. However, I believe that the card allows you to use any station from providers you registered with. It will just cost you money to use if it's not in the program, or if you go beyond the free 30 minutes of L1 or 1 hour of L2. I think Blink gives you the option of requesting one of their cards during sign up as well.

Hope that helps

WTF?! When I called Nissan corporate office 877-NO-GAS-EV (1-877-664-2738). They said the cards were sent by the dealership where we bought/leased the Leaf, and you're getting it directly from Nissan or Evgo? I am still waiting for mine.... I guess they just don't like me :(

Hey is there anyone from San Diego who got their EZ go cards from Nissan or EVgo?

Update:
Called the corporate office again, hoping that I too can get the EZ card. Nope, only way is for my dealership to participate and must be in participating markets. I mentioned members here in this forum got the card and they purchased their vehicles in non participating markets. She didn't have an answer, only that the cards would only work in participating cities AND the VIN on the card matches the dealerships where they bought from. So that means even those peeps who have the card can't sell them to another LEAF owner such as myself and get free charging in participating cities.

Another Update:
I emailed Brian Brockman from Nissan and the local District Attorney's office in San Diego about my issue of not being eligible because I didn't purchase/lease the LEAF from a participating dealer, and Nissan didn't explain that during their press release back in April.

I got the card in the mail from nrg evgo. The inside cardboard materials all say Nissan. It had logos for the participants on the back, but there was zero mention of the dealer anywhere on the envelope, the material or on the website. To be honest, you're wasting your time going through the DA. There are so few charging stations participating that it's hardly worth even signing up, IMO. At best it's a convenience if one card will work on 3-4 different systems. The only charge station anywhere near where I go is about a mile from my house...hardly a place where I'll need a charge.

cantdecide said:
Got my card monday, registered on Tuesday.

Chargepoint: I tried to register with my existing account. I got into a real mess... it tells me the serial number is invalid etcetera... however looking at my chargepoint account it now has the card in there. So I'm very confused, but it might have worked.

ev-go, blink etc: registration was fine.

Tried to use it at ev-go on Wednesday... complete fail!
There were multiple people at wholefoods cupertino [ev-go] attempting to use their ez-charge card and all failed!
That seems to be the story so far with ev-go and this card, several reports on this thread and others and noone reporting success at yet.

When I signed up for ev-go, the website said it could take several days to activate. Maybe that's why you're having issues right now.

dgalvan said:
Oh and the included letter says my nrg eVgo card will be de-activated on July 30.

So it's actually worse than getting nothing: they are causing me hassle since now I won't be able to use nrg eVgo either!
Much the same here. I had the nrg card which I had found out was only 60 days, activated it when there was a new eVgo charger at the Great Mall in Milpitas. I went there once about a week ago to find it, tried it out, and thought this would be a good thing (of course, then I thought the card was good for a year).

A while later I find that it was only good for 60 days. Oh well. Then nrg announces that they will deactivate it on July 30, so my card will have been active for perhaps 2 and 1/2 weeks. And the Great Mall site is not listed as a No Charge to Charge site, so they take away the one site quite a bit sooner than the existing card, and add no new ones.

You are right, it is worse than nothing.

By the way, at that site, there is a Nissan L3 charger (complete with nissan paint/labels visible under the overpainted nrg eVgo paint, and a L2 charger, both on a pad that extends into the parking space in front of them. As a result, the shortened parking space is marked No Parking (not even EVs). The space next to it is EV Charging space, but the L3 cable won't reach there. The space behind is also an EV Charging space, and does reach, but you have to go through contortions to get the L3 cable through the small gap between the machines and to the car. No way that both chargers can be legally used at the same time.
( There is another smaller L2 unit on the other side of the "beside" space, that is fairly reachable, the problems are on the combined L2/L3 space. Really poor layout design. )

Mine arrived yesterday, as described in prior posts. The enclosed cover letter was from nrg eVgo, saying that my previous (given for free when I leased the car in April) eVgo access card will be deactivated as of July 30.
The registration process for the EZ-Charge card was long, and fairly simple except when it came to ChargePoint. A call to EZ-Charge told me I had to create a separate ChargePoint account rather than being able to link my existing ChargePoint account.
Various websites give contradictory information regarding ChargePoint's participation in the No Charge To Charge program. A call to ChargePoint customer service says that their stations will be free for the first hour, contradicting what was quoted on this site: http://green.autoblog.com/2014/07/09/nissans-no-charge-to-charge-incentive-for-leaf-sales/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
where it is implied that ChargePoint will participate in the EZ-Charge network but not the NCTC program. When I search PlugShare with the NCTC filter, I don't find the ChargePoint stations that I have used before. Phooey

Well this ez card aka no charge to charge from Nissan was all a publicity move. Love the EV movement, and wife is happy with her Leaf. But in three years when her lease is up I highly highly doubt that we would consider Nissan or the Leaf. I'm sure there will be other car makers with better product and support (ex. Tesla).

To start, I am in the DFW area and leased in April. I got the key chain dongle with the 1 year of unlimited charging at eVgo stations..L1 or L2...any services I want to use.

Got my EZ-Charge card a couple days ago. Looking at the terms, I would be giving up 1 year unlimited for 2 years of limited free access. Sounds like the standard 60 minutes of slow charge and 30 minutes of quick...looks like if you leave it plugged in and let it keep running, they will bill you...and rates vary.

I'll likely switch because I don't stop to charge much at all and when I do, it isn't hour long sessions...maybe 10 to 30 minutes. I have a Clipper Creek unit at home, so I'm full every time the car rolls out.

Now the confusing part. Some stations are free and some aren't, even on the same network from the way the terms read. I tried to pull up the map that allows you to see which ones are free and aren't, but it has some Java error on different browsers and computers...so I can't see if this really will work or not. Terms also state that these selected free stations are subject to change. You may have a favorite now, that they move out of the program in 6 months and it will no longer be free.

End of the day, it's free either way...so no complaining, just stating the facts people need to consider before giving up the free year for the free 'two' year period. I say that because the two years free isn't really comparable to the one year program recently offered.

I got my Ez-charging card and chargepoint card from the Nissan sales guy when I picked up my leaf. A bit help from my sales.

Just charged using a Blink fast charge today. Back home, check Blink account, it showed $5. Called Blink, it said billing cycle is 7-31 & system is new starting this month. Suggested me to wait. The bill should have credit back.

Anyone has this experience? When I charged with my Ez-charging card, Blink station did say $5 per charge.

BTW, to look for latest FC, L2, L1 station for Ez-charge card:
https://www.ez-charge.com/stations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and click no-charge to charge program.

tree1 said:
I got my Ez-charging card and chargepoint card from the Nissan sales guy when I picked up my leaf. A bit help from my sales.

Just charged using a Blink fast charge today. Back home, check Blink account, it showed $5. Called Blink, it said billing cycle is 7-31 & system is new starting this month. Suggested me to wait. The bill should have credit back.

Anyone has this experience? When I charged with my Ez-charging card, Blink station did say $5 per charge.
First, it is great that the Nissan dealers are handing out chargepoint cards. A friend just got a Fiat EV, and the dealers were not providing chargepoint cards, which was a minor inconvenience.

It appears that the EZ-charge card is just "free" on a few chargers on some networks. Unlike the previous neg evgo cards which were free on any evgo charger, these only are free on some chargers - so you need to check the web before you charge, or expect it to cost. (And, nrg is cancelling the previous cards early, not honoring the term they had advertised.)

It looks like EZ-Charge is just to get people to sign up, so paying for charges will be easier.

The only nrg evgo charger that I might expect to frequent goes from free on the cancelled 60 day card to $5 on the "No Charge to Charge" program.

I heard the new No Charge to Charge EZ cards are coming later in the year. Maybe October and will run for 2 years once it starts.
Read the link below for some details still being worked out.
It should be noted this “free charging program” is good for a maximum of 30 minutes at DC fast chargers and one hour at L2 stations

http://chargedevs.com/features/will-nissans-no-charge-to-charge-program-drive-leaf-sales/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“A lot of those networks are reaching out to Nissan and eVgo,” Jones said. “There are 10 networks in the US. Who would believe you could have 10 different cards? That’s just ridiculous. Now Nissan customers will have one card, and that’s what we want. It’s a very neutral platform, but Nissan doesn’t want to be the one in the middle of the charging business. So we selected eVgo to manage that platform, while they also manage their individual network simultaneously. And everybody plays as an equal partner: Car Charging Group, AeroVironment, ChargePoint, etc.”

you can try to get a card at this site https://www.ez-charge.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Someone in California said they already have theirs

I bought my leaf a Palm Springs nissan and they told me that Nissan would send me a card. I called Nissan yesterday and they said that Palm Springs is not in the area that they are giving out the cards to. I told them that my dealer told me I would get one of these when I bought the car so they are checking with the dealer and hopefully the dealer will have to buy one for me?

deserthi said:
I bought my leaf a Palm Springs nissan and they told me that Nissan would send me a card. I called Nissan yesterday and they said that Palm Springs is not in the area that they are giving out the cards to. I told them that my dealer told me I would get one of these when I bought the car so they are checking with the dealer and hopefully the dealer will have to buy one for me?

You're wasting your time. If you purchased or leased your vehicle from a dealership that is not part of the participating cities that Nissan rolled out, then you are s*it out of luck. I leased my Leaf from Temecula, CA (35 miles east of San Diego), and was told by Nissan, I'm screwed, even though I live and work in San Diego, one of the participating cities.

Sad, but true that Nissan will not send the ez-card to people who didn't buy from the dealers included in ez-charge.com. I bought mine from Costa Mesa and I know for sure that I'm not getting it, even though I live and drive in San Diego. If you call Nissan, for lack of a better answer, they say that the card will be sent by Nissan in a mail, but simply fail to understand the situation and make any attempt to do anything about it. Seeing all the responses on this forum, I think the number of people who qualify and will be using this offer is not many (as either they didn't buy since the offer started or they charge at home), so Nissan should have tried to be a little customer friendly!

leafo said:
Sad, but true that Nissan will not send the ez-card to people who didn't buy from the dealers included in ez-charge.com. I bought mine from Costa Mesa and I know for sure that I'm not getting it, even though I live and drive in San Diego. If you call Nissan, for lack of a better answer, they say that the card will be sent by Nissan in a mail, but simply fail to understand the situation and make any attempt to do anything about it. Seeing all the responses on this forum, I think the number of people who qualify and will be using this offer is not many (as either they didn't buy since the offer started or they charge at home), so Nissan should have tried to be a little customer friendly!
And, they are wrong about the mailing. I got mine, eventually, mailed from nrg evgo. It was less good than one would think. First, they combined it with an early cancelling of the nrg evgo free trial card that worked on any of their chargers.

Then, signing up, as mentioned here, you sign up for ez-charge first, then additionally for the various networks. You don't completely get away from the many cards, because Blink will send you an inlink card to access their network. When you look at the list of stations participating in no charge to charge, you see it is only a few samples from a few networks. Most of the stations out there are not included. ( See https://www.ez-charge.com/stations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to show which are. ) This may change over time, so don't count on the one you used last month being free next month.

I havent used mine, because, while ez-charge's web site says it takes 2 hours for the card data to be active, nrg evgo says 3 to 5 days, and at this point, 9 days after sign up, I have no confirmation iit happened. Blink's web site said I needed their inlink card, and it hasn't come yet (I hear it takes a long time).

Chargepoint dropped out of ez-charge (they are the most common charger around here).

So far, it seems to have had a negative value - killing the nrg trial early ( I only got one short charge just to try the card ), and offering no cards to access the few free charge stations.

You're not missing as much as you might have thought.

alanlarson said:
leafo said:
And, they are wrong about the mailing. I got mine, eventually, mailed from nrg evgo. It was less good than one would think. First, they combined it with an early cancelling of the nrg evgo free trial card that worked on any of their chargers.

Then, signing up, as mentioned here, you sign up for ez-charge first, then additionally for the various networks. You don't completely get away from the many cards, because Blink will send you an inlink card to access their network. When you look at the list of stations participating in no charge to charge, you see it is only a few samples from a few networks. Most of the stations out there are not included. ( See https://www.ez-charge.com/stations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to show which are. ) This may change over time, so don't count on the one you used last month being free next month.

I havent used mine, because, while ez-charge's web site says it takes 2 hours for the card data to be active, nrg evgo says 3 to 5 days, and at this point, 9 days after sign up, I have no confirmation iit happened. Blink's web site said I needed their inlink card, and it hasn't come yet (I hear it takes a long time).

Chargepoint dropped out of ez-charge (they are the most common charger around here).

So far, it seems to have had a negative value - killing the nrg trial early ( I only got one short charge just to try the card ), and offering no cards to access the few free charge stations.

You're not missing as much as you might have thought.

I got my LEAF on Friday, activated the EZ-Charge card that evening and just for the heck of it tried the card at an eVgo station today and it worked despite not having received any confirmation when signing up whatsoever.

Back