Anybody got the Nissan's free charging card?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious that Los Angeles isn't among the listed cities participating in the program. The press release notes:

San Francisco, San Diego, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, Sacramento, Seattle, Portland, Ore., Nashville, Phoenix and Washington, D.C.

I just chatted with someone from the EV Customer Support Team off of the Nissan USA website and he told me that the ez-charge cards are being sent out today via USPS first class mail.

hank771 said:
I just chatted with someone from the EV Customer Support Team off of the Nissan USA website and he told me that the ez-charge cards are being sent out today via USPS first class mail.

I sure hope so. I purchased the leaf with a promise of free charging for two years back in May, don't want to contact my state's DA office to complain.

Just picked up my EZ-Charge card from my dealer today. Went online to register... and it didn't recognize my VIN.
Waiting to hear from their support people. :roll:

uwskier20 said:
Just picked up my EZ-Charge card from my dealer today. Went online to register... and it didn't recognize my VIN.

Is your's the EZ charge card or the Chargepoint card? I know they gave me a Chargepoint card which I registered, also got a Blink Card through their website? Is Nissan telling it's customers to pick up the EZ charge card directly through dealerships?

wongfeihong187 said:
uwskier20 said:

Is your's the EZ charge card or the Chargepoint card? I know they gave me a Chargepoint card which I registered, also got a Blink Card through their website? Is Nissan telling it's customers to pick up the EZ charge card directly through dealerships?
EZ-Charge. Not sure as to the messaging from Nissan, but my dealership had me stop in and pick it up yesterday. I was able to register it this morning.

FYI, if you have an existing ChargePoint account, it gets fussy if you try to use the same e-mail address for that portion of the registration. I have a ticket in to support about this.

uwskier20 said:
wongfeihong187 said:
uwskier20 said:

EZ-Charge. Not sure as to the messaging from Nissan, but my dealership had me stop in and pick it up yesterday. I was able to register it this morning.

FYI, if you have an existing ChargePoint account, it gets fussy if you try to use the same e-mail address for that portion of the registration. I have a ticket in to support about this.

Okay thanks. I'll call my dealership and find out if they have the EZ cards here in San Diego

wongfeihong187 said:
Okay thanks. I'll call my dealership and find out if they have the EZ cards here in San Diego
Based on some discussion up here in Seattle, it sounds like dealerships are only handing them out to people who purchased in July. Those who purchased before should receive them via mail. My guess is that the July people probably just missed the first wave of mailing, so the dealerships got some to distribute, which makes me think yours should be arriving very soon. Nonetheless, I'd still call your dealership to verify this.

I bought my car from a dealership located in a nearby city but I live in San Diego, and my dealership doesn't have much information about the ez-card. They said they are checking in on this. Apart from this, I hope blink fixes the quick charger on Mira Mesa in San Diego, now that the quick chargers will be so useful for the ez-card holders.

leafo said:
I bought my car from a dealership located in a nearby city but I live in San Diego, and my dealership doesn't have much information about the ez-card. They said they are checking in on this. Apart from this, I hope blink fixes the quick charger on Mira Mesa in San Diego, now that the quick chargers will be so useful for the ez-card holders.

Same here, leased my leaf from Temecula dealership and I live in San Diego. Temecula dealership said they don't know anything and referred me to NVGo website and phone number. Called them and they said peeps got an email from Nissan with a direct link to sign up for the EZ charge card. Anyway I live in San Diego and leased it back in May.

just to clarify, did you get an actual card (key fob) or just a link to sign up and then they'll mail you a card? and how many cards are we going to get, one or two?

uwskier20 said:
wongfeihong187 said:
uwskier20 said:

I'm heading over there right now. But, he said it was in an envelope with my name on it, in his desk drawer, in case he was out of the office when I came by... so I don't think he was talking about a link :) BUT, yeah, once you get the actual card, you need to register it online.

I have no idea how many cards, but I assume, only one.

So... I got my EZ card... and let me just say... I hope none of you bought the Leaf, just because of this card, because it's 90% full of crap.

First you go to the website: https://www.ez-charge.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to register.

You punch in your EZ Card number, your Vin#, name, address... Then it takes you to the next page, where you select your region, and it shows you the providers. INCLUDING ChargePoint. But, if you look carefully, you'll notice that there's no "No Charge to Charge" icon next to the ChargePoint icon.

Then you need to click on the icons that you want to register with. And here's where it get's whacky.

The link for Blink... is crap and doesn't work for No charge to Charge

The link for CarCharging... works, but wants you to go the the ChargePoint one and register there.

The link for ChargePoint works, but you have to put in your credit card number. So at least it means you have to carry less cards, but it's sort of misleading, if you didn't notice that ChargePoint is part of the EZ card... but NOT part of No Charge to Charge, but most of us knew that.

Then you do the same for Nrg Evgo, and enter a credit card as well...

HERE's THE WORST PART... when you click on the map of "participating stations" ONLY a few pop up. IT'S NOT THE ENTIRE EVGO/BLINK NETWORK. So that means, it's really hard to tell which ones are part of No Charge to Charge... and which aren't. The chances of you finding one that is convenient and free are pretty slim. For example in all of San Franciscothere are TWO, count them only 2 stations that are participating in No Charge to Charge. BOOOOOOOOOOooooo. I don't really need the free charging, but was thinking it would be nice.

Oh well.... Maybe it'll improve, but I have to say I'm pretty disappointed.

MisterC said:
So... I got my EZ card... and let me just say... I hope none of you bought the Leaf, just because of this card, because it's 90% full of crap.

First you go to the website: https://www.ez-charge.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to register.

You punch in your EZ Card number, your Vin#, name, address... Then it takes you to the next page, where you select your region, and it shows you the providers. INCLUDING ChargePoint. But, if you look carefully, you'll notice that there's no "No Charge to Charge" icon next to the ChargePoint icon.

Then you need to click on the icons that you want to register with. And here's where it get's whacky.

The link for CarCharging... works, but wants you to go the the ChargePoint one and register there.

The link for ChargePoint works, but you have to put in your credit card number. So at least it means you have to carry less cards, but it's sort of misleading, if you didn't notice that ChargePoint is part of the EZ card... but NOT part of No Charge to Charge, but most of us knew that.

This page: http://transportevolved.com/2014/07/10/nissans-free-electric-car-charging-program-starts-select-u-s-markets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says that ChargePoint got back on board.
Perhaps folks are hoping we will confuse EZ-Charge with "No Charge to Charge".

When I bought my leaf at the end of May, I was given a nrg evgo card that was said to be good for a year of free charging. I had kind of wondered how that might interfere with the 2 year program, but registered it on the phone with no credit card.

Then, this afternoon, I heard from another Leaf driver who got his car the same weekend as I did, who had just been told by evgo that the card was only good for 60 days. I looked this evening and can no longer find pages online that mention the one year program in the San Francisco area.

MisterC said:
HERE's THE WORST PART... when you click on the map of "participating stations" ONLY a few pop up. IT'S NOT THE ENTIRE EVGO/BLINK NETWORK. So that means, it's really hard to tell which ones are part of No Charge to Charge... and which aren't. The chances of you finding one that is convenient and free are pretty slim. For example in all of San Francisco there are TWO, count them only 2 stations that are participating in No Charge to Charge. BOOOOOOOOOOooooo. I don't really need the free charging, but was thinking it would be nice.

What I am seeing is a lot less than I had been led to expect. It seems that the various "free charging" offers are evaporating, instead of delivering. I am disappointed as I had hoped this would help mitigate the 37.7 cent/kWh rates from PG&E. I know that thought went through my mind when I was sitting at the dealership recently.

One might hope that since the cards are arriving well after the announced start of the program that they are just having start-up difficulties and will make it up, but it is seeming less likely.

alanlarson said:
MisterC said:

This page: http://transportevolved.com/2014/07/10/nissans-free-electric-car-charging-program-starts-select-u-s-markets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says that ChargePoint got back on board.
Perhaps folks are hoping we will confuse EZ-Charge with "No Charge to Charge".

When I bought my leaf at the end of May, I was given a nrg evgo card that was said to be good for a year of free charging. I had kind of wondered how that might interfere with the 2 year program, but registered it on the phone with no credit card.

Then, this afternoon, I heard from another Leaf driver who got his car the same weekend as I did, who had just been told by evgo that the card was only good for 60 days. I looked this evening and can no longer find pages online that mention the one year program in the San Francisco area.

MisterC said:
HERE's THE WORST PART... when you click on the map of "participating stations" ONLY a few pop up. IT'S NOT THE ENTIRE EVGO/BLINK NETWORK. So that means, it's really hard to tell which ones are part of No Charge to Charge... and which aren't. The chances of you finding one that is convenient and free are pretty slim. For example in all of San Francisco there are TWO, count them only 2 stations that are participating in No Charge to Charge. BOOOOOOOOOOooooo. I don't really need the free charging, but was thinking it would be nice.

What I am seeing is a lot less than I had been led to expect. It seems that the various "free charging" offers are evaporating, instead of delivering. I am disappointed as I had hoped this would help mitigate the 37.7 cent/kWh rates from PG&E. I know that thought went through my mind when I was sitting at the dealership recently.

One might hope that since the cards are arriving well after the announced start of the program that they are just having start-up difficulties and will make it up, but it is seeming less likely.

Well I guess this program was more hype than anything else. I leased my Leaf in May thinking that this program would launch in July. As of today my dealership in Temecula knows nothing about it, and I haven't recieved the email nor the card via usps mail. Well saving for Tesla (Model X) when this lease expires in three years. Nissan itself is a disappointment.

10 DCFC and 70 L2 locations in the PHX area. Some are at useful spots. But some, not so much. but at least there are quite a few.

I called up Nissan and they said that the card will be sent out to customers who bought from a dealership in the target market (for e.g., San Diego). Since my dealership is 70 miles north of San Diego, I will not get the card, even though I live and charge in San Diego. Bad move Nissan, I'm a first time EV owner and first among my friends and family to ever own an EV, and live in the target market!

BTW, if anyone on this forum don't see any value in the card since they'll almost always charge at home, could you please give or sell the card to me. I live in an apartment and therefore always charge at a charge station :)

Back