Anybody got the Nissan's free charging card?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dealer texted me up when they got them to get one.

Chargepoint is back on board (and I've been able to charge for free) and it seems like every charger around is part of it (San Jose/South bay) so I don't know what part of the Bay Area is opting out.

Sign up for EZ Charge site took was only a pain because my VIN wasn't recognized, fixed within a couple hours after emailing EZ Charge team. Everything else was smooth except Chargepoint who I had to call and they escalated and fixed (EZ charge cards aren't 8 digits).

30 minutes free on DC and 60 minutes free on Level 2.

I've used Chargepoint and Blink since I've gotten the card and neither have a record of me using it. Chargepoint app had no idea I was charging. Blink app did know, but neither show in my account history.

leafo said:
I called up Nissan and they said that the card will be sent out to customers who bought from a dealership in the target market (for e.g., San Diego). Since my dealership is 70 miles north of San Diego, I will not get the card, even though I live and charge in San Diego. Bad move Nissan, I'm a first time EV owner and first among my friends and family to ever own an EV, and live in the target market!

BTW, if anyone on this forum don't see any value in the card since they'll almost always charge at home, could you please give or sell the card to me. I live in an apartment and therefore always charge at a charge station :)

You and me! I also leased my leaf outside of San Diego, but reside here. WTF? why does it matter where you bought it from, Nissan should think that where you live is where you will need to charge it. I too am very disappointed with Nissan's customer service. Will have to weigh my options when my lease is up. So far Nissan isn't faring well with me.

wongfeihong187 said:
You and me! I also leased my leaf outside of San Diego, but reside here. WTF? why does it matter where you bought it from, Nissan should think that where you live is where you will need to charge it. I too am very disappointed with Nissan's customer service. Will have to weigh my options when my lease is up. So far Nissan isn't faring well with me.
I really doubt the dealer could help you on this.
Have you called Nissan corporate customer service to complain. 877-NO-GAS-EV (1-877-664-2738)

@Nissamon... Oh, so that might be good news (that you have been able to charge in the Bay Area using the card). Because, looking at the EZ Card map, for stations participating in No Charge to Charge, I only see a one or two between Palo Alto and SF.

Maybe I'll just have to give one a try to see if it's participating or not.

KJD said:
wongfeihong187 said:
I really doubt the dealer could help you on this.
Have you called Nissan corporate customer service to complain. 877-NO-GAS-EV (1-877-664-2738)

Thank you for the number. I called and I was told that only dealers that are in participating cities for the NCTC program would be getting the EZ card. So Nissan with their infinite wisdom limits the program to only people who purchased from these participating dealerships. BAD ROLLOUT AND PR from Nissan.... and to think I leased my Leaf because I thought I would get free charging for two years.

I live in San Diego and bought my Leaf from Mossy in Escondido in April. I emailed program customer service and got a response from an NRG employee (a surprise there), and he said I should get my card in the mail. I hope he's correct, since I'd hate to be penalized for buying in Escondido and not in the city limits.

Bought June 13. No card yet. Dealer (Gladstone, OR) says it will be mailed by Nissan. No indication when.

I called the phone number given in previous messages and got someone who entered a ticket for it, and told me that they had been mailed starting around the 8th - to the dealers, and that the dealer would send it on.

It is now the 19th, and nothing yet.

For those of you received the card in mail, did the mail come from Nissan or the dealer? Did you contact anyone to request the card?

theds said:
For those of you received the card in mail, did the mail come from Nissan or the dealer? Did you contact anyone to request the card?

I got mine today. It came directly from Nissan and I didn't have to request anything. I leased my Leaf on 4/18. As someone posted before:

You sign up for EZ-Charge, and then you have to sign up at each provider that you may want to use. There's a drop down where you select your region, then they provide a list of participating providers with a link to sign up. In San Diego it's NRG, Blink and Chargepoint. However, Chargepoint doesn't participate in the free program. Nissan just makes it convenient for you to sign up.

When you click on a sign-up button, Nissan passes most of your info over to the provider to make things easy for you (VIN, name, address, EZ Charge card ID, etc.). You just add your credit card info and submit. Some also require you set up an account with login and password.

There are a lot of stations not included in the free charge program. However, I believe that the card allows you to use any station from providers you registered with. It will just cost you money to use if it's not in the program, or if you go beyond the free 30 minutes of L1 or 1 hour of L2. I think Blink gives you the option of requesting one of their cards during sign up as well.

Hope that helps

I also receive mine today. The sender on the envelop was nrg eVgo, instead of Nissan.

Has anyone figured out how to add the EZ-Charge card to the existing ChargePoint account? I tried to enter the number as "OExxxxxxxx" and got an "Invalid Card Number" error. And I tried to enter the number part only then I got a "Card Number Not Found" error.

I received an EZCharge card in the mail as well, but it was postmarked from nrg eVgo. (received in mail 7/23. Leaf purchased 4/25 in Van Nuys.)

I live in Los Angeles, which I thought meant I'm not eligible for the EZCharge or No Charge to Charge programs (only San Diego, Sacramento, and San Francisco are eligible in CA).

-Sure enough, when I go to activate my card at EZ-Charge.com, I can't because my "market" and dealership are not listed in the pulldown menus.

So I can't activate this card.

Oh and the included letter says my nrg eVgo card will be de-activated on July 30.

So it's actually worse than getting nothing: they are causing me hassle since now I won't be able to use nrg eVgo either!

So. . . what the heck?

Got mine yesterday. The letter now says the card must be activated before 8/30 to take advantage of the special offer. Otherwise, you may continue to enjoy the current No Charge to Charge Card through the end of the one year term. I bought my Leaf on 6/3 in DFW area. The activation process is just painful and certainly ez-charge doesn't want to invest in IT budgets to automate the process with the networks.

I was disappointed to learn L2 is only free for the first 60 mins, but I guess I can uplug and start another session if I want to... (In DFW, I can hardly see anyone using the chargers anyway). Next will be actually try to use the card..

Ok so actually I was able to activate my card on the Blink and Chargepoint networks by logging in to my existing accounts at those respective networks and just adding the card by entering its serial number.
Looking at the map of no-charge-to-charge stations, none are in Los Angeles, where I live, so I expect that this card won't let me charge for free . . . perhaps unless I drive to San Diego.
But I do expect that this card will allow me to charge (for a fee) at the Blink and Chargepoint networks. I could do that before, but now one card handles both networks. This is not that big a deal, since I keep all the network charging cards in my glove compartment anyway. But I see that Nissan intends it to be a convenience.

Meh.

I got my car on 7/14 and the dealer had the card when I got my car. I dont understand how the plan and charge works, but after charging at non ( no charge to charge) locations, i was not charged. The couple of places where it should work automatically, the cards comes up unauthorized. ( EvgO stations ), called and it started. They are looking to have that fixed.
I will have to try more stations to see which ones really charge me. I was under the impression all of networks were free ( atleast for nissan )

Got my card monday, registered on Tuesday.

Chargepoint: I tried to register with my existing account. I got into a real mess... it tells me the serial number is invalid etcetera... however looking at my chargepoint account it now has the card in there. So I'm very confused, but it might have worked.

ev-go, blink etc: registration was fine.

Tried to use it at ev-go on Wednesday... complete fail!
There were multiple people at wholefoods cupertino [ev-go] attempting to use their ez-charge card and all failed!
That seems to be the story so far with ev-go and this card, several reports on this thread and others and noone reporting success at yet.

cantdecide said:
Got my card monday, registered on Tuesday.

Chargepoint: I tried to register with my existing account. I got into a real mess... it tells me the serial number is invalid etcetera... however looking at my chargepoint account it now has the card in there. So I'm very confused, but it might have worked.

ev-go, blink etc: registration was fine.

Tried to use it at ev-go on Wednesday... complete fail!
There were multiple people at wholefoods cupertino [ev-go] attempting to use their ez-charge card and all failed!
That seems to be the story so far with ev-go and this card, several reports on this thread and others and noone reporting success at yet.

They do have it active in their system though. I have called them everytime and it works. They have the only fast charger near my home, so I definitely use it.

Back