An Argument That We Need To Kill

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I do think it will be a growing problem with public infrastructure. L3 should weed out the PHEV crowd eventually but PHEV drivers screwing over EV drivers will need to be adressed eventually for L2. My guess is that it will get handled through a much more advanced reservation system. It's a pretty thin argument that a depleted PHEV needs a charge as badly as a depleted EV. I would not be surprised if a network eventually develops a priority reservation system for EV's over PHEV. Possibly to the point of an "unplug" policy for registered PHEV's when an arriving EV's card is scanned. It will probably come with a fee which will further weed out PHEV.

padamson1 said:
As long as everyone (BEVs, EREVs & PHEVs) follows the charging protocol, we should all be able to live with each other. Since a PiP takes a fraction of the time a BEV takes to charge, they should vacate the spot as soon as their done, and free it up for the next guy just like every one else should do. As long as they're charging, they're not 'blocking' the EVSE, and a PHEV doesn't charge for long.
I agree. Many of the plug-in Prius folks are going to be constantly searching for charge opportunities, and they have a right and need for public charge.

My understanding is that PiPs just went on sale last month, so their drivers are probably very new to the public charging scene.

How long do PiPs require for a full charge? Their battery is 4.4 kWh, but I assume they don't have full access to this capacity. They will often be "empty," and they will want to fill their little battery to 100%. Perhaps a little more than an hour?

They, like us, need to be responsible for moving their cars promptly when their charge is done. Do they have some kind of dashboard signal when their charge is done ? Hopefully unplugging them won't set off their alarms like the Volts. A 2012 Volt owner told me he can defeat his alarm via a menu option, but the 2011 model cannot.

With LEAF sales lagging, in 6 months there might be twice as many PiPs on the road as LEAFs, so if their owners are not responsible, they could become annoying. Hopefully their numbers will encourage installation of more level 2 in useful locations for dining and extended shopping.

tbleakne said:
padamson1 said:
As long as everyone (BEVs, EREVs & PHEVs) follows the charging protocol, we should all be able to live with each other. Since a PiP takes a fraction of the time a BEV takes to charge, they should vacate the spot as soon as their done, and free it up for the next guy just like every one else should do. As long as they're charging, they're not 'blocking' the EVSE, and a PHEV doesn't charge for long.
I agree. Many of the plug-in Prius folks are going to be constantly searching for charge opportunities, and they have a right and need for public charge.

My understanding is that PiPs just went on sale last month, so their drivers are probably very new to the public charging scene.

How long do PiPs require for a full charge? Their battery is 4.4 kWh, but I assume they don't have full access to this capacity. They will often be "empty," and they will want to fill their little battery to 100%. Perhaps a little more than an hour?

They, like us, need to be responsible for moving their cars promptly when their charge is done. Do they have some kind of dashboard signal when their charge is done ? Hopefully unplugging them won't set off their alarms like the Volts. A 2012 Volt owner told me he can defeat his alarm via a menu option, but the 2011 model cannot.

With LEAF sales lagging, in 6 months there might be twice as many PiPs on the road as LEAFs, so if their owners are not responsible, they could become annoying. Hopefully their numbers will encourage installation of more level 2 in useful locations for dining and extended shopping.

I can chime in here, as a person who had reserved a Leaf on 4/20/2010, completed the RAQ in 10/31/2011, and who's Leaf arrived at the local Nissan delaer and was orphaned on 1/31/2012, who at the same time, had a PiP on order, and decided to go with the PiP...

Let me start by just explaining, I loved the Leaf and the entire "all EV" concept, however, for myself, being a single unmarried person, I do not want to be paying for multiple insurance policys, and having multiple vehicles depreciate. I would really have loved to just go out and bought a Tesla Model S, 240 or 300 mile version, that would solve all of my range issues, however, the Tesla Model S is sold out until the end of 2013, and it's also very pricey as well.

I have been on MNL since the very early days, and do support full EV's, where they fit, but they are not a fit for everyone, in every situation, especially in the East coast/Northeast, where our weather is rainy, snowy, cold temperatures, and in general NOT an ideal "Californian 70 degree" environment.

For us, range extended or plug in hybrids are going to be more popular, its just what this environment supports best, really. I've driven by numerous Volts, very few Leafs, and a few PiPs as well, I just bought my PiP a little over 2 weeks ago (4/21/2012), my "EV/HV" ratio has been pretty good so far, the first 702 miles, I used 7.65 gallons of gas and 78KWH of electricty, my MPG was 91.7, and that was with a 90 mile roundtrip on an interstate (that BTW, a Leaf would not have been able to do, without at least some charging at the destination)

Checkout my Fuelly page, if you care to track how my PiP is performing in the future:
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/mitch672/prius-plugin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
first fillup: %43 EV (304 miles) / %57 HV (397 miles), 78KWH used, 7 gallons of gas (7.65 actually)
fuel saved by charging, approx 6.5 gallons

below is a picture of the "EV/HV" ratio, which shows how many miles where in pure EV, and how many where in HV (which is a blend of the engine and battery pack), my percentage was high, and will continue to be high, as the bulk of my 14.9 mile each way commute is in EV, especially if the traffic on I93 is stop and go inthe morning, which it usually is (1.5 hour commute to go 15 miles is typical)

I charge at home with a L2 Schnieder EVSE that was installed in October of last year, in preparation for the Leaf, takes 1.5 hours @ 240V, at work I charge with the Toyota supplied EVSE, takes 3 hours at 120V, I have used a public charger once, when I met my family at the "99" in Easton, the first time we went there, both EV spots, and the spots next to them, wehre totally "ICEd", and I could not charge, another weekend there, I was able to get a space and charge the car, when I came out from dinner, the PiP was fully charged, and I drove home 12 miles in all EV (low speed roads, 30-35mph)

I think PiP owners have enough common sense to at least try to use an EV spot that is not directly in front of the charger, so that a true EV could unplug them and still get a charge, that might be a suggestion to ellimnate conflicts, as we don't have to charge, but we like to charge as often as possible, to minimize gasoline usage, and you can see from my stats, the 12-15 mile EV range does a lot better than most of you would think possible.

b5ec56ce.jpg

at the ChargePoint dual head charger at the "99" in Easton MA

d854a4aa.jpg

National Grid just sponsored installation of 30 of these in the greater Boston area, near major highways.

ba330876.jpg

TRONZ said:
It's a pretty thin argument that a depleted PHEV needs a charge as badly as a depleted EV. I would not be surprised if a network eventually develops a priority reservation system for EV's over PHEV. Possibly to the point of an "unplug" policy for registered PHEV's when an arriving EV's card is scanned. It will probably come with a fee which will further weed out PHEV.
LOL, I think it's equally weak argument that a BEV has more of a right to charge because it's been driven out of it's range to get back home. FWIW, we do plan on buying a BEV to go along with the Volt. If we were out in our 2013 Leaf and needed a charge we'd head to a station. If the chargers were in use how is that someone else's problem? Why should poor planning, or unwillingness to wait, be a reason for a BEV to kick someone else out of line or cut in front of them? The real answer is because you (and pretty soon us) bought a vehicle that has no other option for propulsion therefor you deserve to cut - this is a pretty weak argument that gives the EREV, PiP or PHEV owner an obvious retort.

Everyone's going to need manners, the same manners that we've all practiced over our years of ICE ownership. Like someone already said, when you go to the gas station you don't leave your car taking up a spot. The same thing needs to happen with EV's. Charge, monitor and get out. With DC you should stay close, with AC there's less of a need to stay nearby - just monitor and get out when you're done.

Station owners are going to have to do something about it, but it's not going to be easy. They can remotely monitor if the car is done charging but doesn't unplug and then start charging a parking fee. But, what good does that do the folks waiting in line? Towing is an option, but hopefully it won't come to that for any type of EV. What could really do it is really high electrical rates that BEV's with no other options will be forced to pay. If they're charging $3-4/hr for an AC charge EREV, PiP and PHEV's won't use the stations - which will probably drive the prices even higher. Then we'll really see the exorbitant rates foobert mentioned. I doubt anyone, other than a stuck BEV owner wants to be robbed.

Also, to answer some other questions, the 2011 Volt can have the charge cord theft notification turned off at the dealership. The 2012 has the settings in the menu. Turning on the notification does keep kids from messing with it, even at public stations - I'm surprised the Leaf doesn't have an alarm. And, I've never heard the tale about the Volt parked for days at the station just so the owner could pre-condition the interior. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but there's jerks in every make and model of vehicle out there. Also, there's a light in the center of the dashboard. If it's flashing green the charge is done. If it's solid green it's still charging. There is NO indication on the dash if the charge-cord alarm is active or not :shock: Oh, and the Volt can send a text to the owner when the charge is complete.

mitch672 said:
I was able to get a space and charge the car, when I came out from dinner, the PiP was fully charged, and I drove home 12 miles in all EV (low speed roads, 30-35mph)
So the first question that has been asked, that you may be able to answer, is: can you get some kind of notification when charging is complete on the PiP, like you can for the LEAF?

And the real question is: since your PiP completed charging at some point during dinner, and assuming you had some way of knowing when the charge was complete, would you have been willing to go outside and move the car to open up the spot for another EV? (And if the answer is yes, why didn't you?)

And I suppose a question that HASN'T been asked, but I'd be interested to know how you feel about this: what constitutes a fair or worthwhile time to charge your car? If you're only down 10% (which doing a rough scale down, which I know isn't valid, and maybe the situation is preposterous anyway since that would mean you're only 1-1.5 miles from home?), meaning to get to full charge it would only take about 10 minutes, and you were headed into dinner, would you bother plugging in and tying up the charger for maybe an hour or so?

I am definitely all for PiP and any other PHEV or EREV owners using public charging facilities, but in a fair way, meaning they should unplug and move when they are full. I hope (but am extremely skeptical) that this will actually be the practice. So I fear that there will probably be a backlash from BEV owners to PHEV owners if we find that charging stations are always unnecessarily being occupied.

DANandNAN said:
Station owners are going to have to do something about it, but it's not going to be easy. They can remotely monitor if the car is done charging but doesn't unplug and then start charging a parking fee. But, what good does that do the folks waiting in line? Towing is an option, but hopefully it won't come to that for any type of EV.
I'll take it one more step and say that enforcement (as opposed to the monetary "incentives" you mentioned) is going to be impossible in practice.

First of all I can't imagine working out a set of "rules" for BEV, PHEV10, PHEV20, PHEV30, EREV and when and how long they should be allowed to charge. But even if we could make it past that, that implies that the enforcement officer (or store employee) will have to be able to recognize what type of vehicle it is (and what about conversions?) And if every car has a different way of indicating what its SOC is (or whether it's charging at all), then that complicates things as well. My city basically just punted on the whole issue and said: if it's attached to the charging station, it's legal, if it's not attached, it's in violation. That kind of "rule" is probably the best we could hope for. No manager is going to go and determine that a PHEV is blocking the charging station from a BEV.

If I had to search for a charge every 11 miles, I'd kill myself first! It would take me two recharges just to get to work! :lol:

tbleakne said:
Many of the plug-in Prius folks are going to be constantly searching for charge opportunities, and they have a right and need for public charge.

lpickup said:
mitch672 said:
I was able to get a space and charge the car, when I came out from dinner, the PiP was fully charged, and I drove home 12 miles in all EV (low speed roads, 30-35mph)
So the first question that has been asked, that you may be able to answer, is: can you get some kind of notification when charging is complete on the PiP, like you can for the LEAF?

And the real question is: since your PiP completed charging at some point during dinner, and assuming you had some way of knowing when the charge was complete, would you have been willing to go outside and move the car to open up the spot for another EV? (And if the answer is yes, why didn't you?)

And I suppose a question that HASN'T been asked, but I'd be interested to know how you feel about this: what constitutes a fair or worthwhile time to charge your car? If you're only down 10% (which doing a rough scale down, which I know isn't valid, and maybe the situation is preposterous anyway since that would mean you're only 1-1.5 miles from home?), meaning to get to full charge it would only take about 10 minutes, and you were headed into dinner, would you bother plugging in and tying up the charger for maybe an hour or so?

I am definitely all for PiP and any other PHEV or EREV owners using public charging facilities, but in a fair way, meaning they should unplug and move when they are full. I hope (but am extremely skeptical) that this will actually be the practice. So I fear that there will probably be a backlash from BEV owners to PHEV owners if we find that charging stations are always unnecessarily being occupied.

The PiP completed charging in 90 minutes, shortly after I arrived at the car to leave (about 2-3 minutes was all I waited), and yes, I get a "charging completion" email from the Toyota Entune system (this is only on the "Advanced" PiP model, the base model does not come with Saftey Connect, which is the telematics system similar to OnStar)

The issue of plugging in if I am close to home? nope wouldn't do that, as it's likely I would not get much charge on such a short/quick errand. On the "PriusChat" board, there are at least 4-5 members in the Boston area with PiPs, on MNL in the entire New England area, I see a similar number of Leafs, so the Leaf is not as popular as the PiP is (right now), in New England, and the Leaf has been availble longer (I was one of the very first to acept the RAQ and my orphanded Leaf was ready for pickup on 1/31/2012), there are far more Volts than either PiPs or Leafs as well...

The bigger problem we are having out in this area, is NOT between EV and PHEV owners, oh, that hasn't been an issue at all out here yet, the problem we have is ICE drivers just blocking the ChargePoint EVSE's completly, and the venue (restaurant in this case), is unwilling to page or try to locate the offending ICE driver to ask them to move. I suggested "orange cones" to the restaurant, so the driver would be forced to get out of their car and move it to use the spot, something most will not do, or at least they might have to think about why the cones are there... but an EV driver would put up with this minor inconvenince to avoid having the 2 parking spots ICEd.

lpickup said:
.. And the real question is: since your PiP completed charging at some point during dinner, and assuming you had some way of knowing when the charge was complete, would you have been willing to go outside and move the car to open up the spot for another EV? (And if the answer is yes, why didn't you?) ...
I sure wouldn't. You actually think it's reasonable to expect someone to get up from dinner to move the car? I got news for you, I'm not going to get up in the middle of my concert or movie and maybe not interrupt my shopping trip at the mall, either. The real answer is more infrastructure, not bullying of PHEV drivers.

There's a very simple solution.

Charge for the charge. Make it somewhere close to the cost of gas. Then those who need the charge will plug in and those who are just wanting a free few miles will be less inclined to use/abuse the charger...

Free charging invites abuse, especially in public areas. Private company do as you wish, they just want the business..

In my area (Boston), "National Grid" applied for the DOE grant money, and did all of the paperwork/hired the contractors to install the 30 dual head ChargePoints, they are going to be "free" for 2 years, then the venue where they are installed at, will take ownership, and be able to set the pricing to use them, if they choose to.
Or, they can keep them free, it's up to them, as ownership reverts to them, after the 2 year period.

I think restaurants will view it as a perk to attract EV / Plug in drivers, and will probably keep it free, it really depends on how much it costs them, and coulomb (the "ChargePoint Network"), can get them monthly reports of how much electricty was used, so they can factor that into their decision, when the time comes.

I was told I was the first car they saw charging at the EVSE, it has been installed for over 2 months now.
Of course this situation will change, as EV's and plugins become more popular in the area.

to answer the "move the car if charged" question, if I was near the car, and was going to be gone for a considerable time, and the car was fully charged, sure I would move it. I would not go out of my way to do so, however, as I'm sure most here wouldn't either.

And to limit the total time, the EVSE should charge the account, ChargePoint or whoever, the entire time the connector is off the pole...

Then people will move their car :cool:

If a nuclear powered car was blocking the only gas pump in 500 miles, PHEV owners would be loosing their freaking minds!

TRONZ said:
If a nuclear powered car was blocking the only gas pump in 500 miles, PHEV owners would be loosing their freaking minds!

probably not, most of us have a 700-1000 mile range, typcially :)

mitch672 said:
TRONZ said:

Geez... how big is the gas tank on a PIP???

TRONZ said:
mitch672 said:
TRONZ said:

Geez... how big is the gas tank on a PIP???

10.6 gallons (corrected), but most of us are unable to put more than 9 gallons in, it seems to have a 1.5-2 gallon reserve, many are getting 58-60mpg on just gas, the the 4.4KW battery allows a lot more regen, than did the standard Gen 3 Prius. it's possible you could go 600-650 miles on just gasoline, add in recharge oportunitys, some have gone 1300-1500 miles between fillups, check on Fuelly, there are some impressive stats.

I myself did 702 miles before my first fillup, and I still had more than 3 gallons in the tank, could have gone another 150-200 miles at least, probably.

mitch672 said:
I myself did 702 miles before my first fillup, and I still had more than 3.5 gallons in the tank, could have gone another 150-200 miles at least, probably.

Very well.

"If a nuclear powered car was blocking the only gas pump in a 1000 miles, PHEV owners would be loosing their freaking minds!"

;)

lpickup said:
My city basically just punted on the whole issue and said: if it's attached to the charging station, it's legal, if it's not attached, it's in violation. That kind of "rule" is probably the best we could hope for. No manager is going to go and determine that a PHEV is blocking the charging station from a BEV.
Interesting that you're in NC. I was reading that a NC (IIRC) Volt owner's town put in chargers but added a 4 hour time limit to them. That's the solution. No worries about knowledge of which car needs however long. Just a strict 4 hour limit. Really, that's reasonable and makes sense.

Back