An Argument That We Need To Kill

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TRONZ said:
Well here is an interesting question; You come across four cars pulled up to a single public EVSE. A PIP a Volt a LEAF and an iMiEV. They each have their charge ports open but whoever vacated the EVSE did not do the proper thing and plug in the "next" car. Which one would each of us plug in first?

I say iMiEV.
Whichever was next in line, otherwise the i unless it's probably local and the Leaf is from out-of-town (going by dealer plates). Perhaps owners should start carrying placards with numbers 1-5 on them, or else there should be number dispensers at the EVSEs - "Now serving number 287" :D But how likely is this to be necessary?

I guess I should have clearly stated that you don't know who was next. There is no one around to ask. A came across a small version of this leaving the AltCar Expo last year. A Volt and a LEAF parked under the canopy with each charge port open but neither was plugged into the unused EVSE between them. I plugged in the LEAF.

TRONZ said:
Well here is an interesting question; You come across four cars pulled up to a single public EVSE. A PIP a Volt a LEAF and an iMiEV. They each have their charge ports open but whoever vacated the EVSE did not do the proper thing and plug in the "next" car. Which one would each of us plug in first?
...which one is mine? :lol:

Since the Volt and PiP don't need charging, it'd be a coin toss between the LEAF and iMiEV unless there was some reason to think one needed a charge more than the other.
=Smidge=

Smidge204 said:
TRONZ said:
Since the Volt and PiP don't need charging, it'd be a coin toss between the LEAF and iMiEV unless there was some reason to think one needed a charge more than the other.
I don't know how to tell whether any of them need charging, at least not without plugging them in first. Anybody want to try picking gas cap locks and sticking a wire down to see if there is gas in the tank? Not me. Now, the LEAF I know a bit about. If I plug it in and see two lights solid and one flashing, it's already pretty well charged. I don't know if there are any hints like that on the other three, though if the EVSE shows a charging rate that's slower than expected, that car must be nearly charged.

I might try to guess which one would complete charging first, so more people can be served by a given time. Specifically, assuming an EVSE that shows the current charging rate: Try the PiP first; if it is charging at 2.2kW (is that a reasonable number?), leave it plugged in. If not, try in order the Volt, the iMiEV, and the LEAF, checking for 3.5kW each. If none of them is close to max rate, go back to the first one I found that is charging at all.

Ray

planet4ever said:
Smidge204 said:
TRONZ said:
I don't know how to tell whether any of them need charging, at least not without plugging them in first. Anybody want to try picking gas cap locks and sticking a wire down to see if there is gas in the tank? Not me. Now, the LEAF I know a bit about. If I plug it in and see two lights solid and one flashing, it's already pretty well charged. I don't know if there are any hints like that on the other three, though if the EVSE shows a charging rate that's slower than expected, that car must be nearly charged.

I might try to guess which one would complete charging first, so more people can be served by a given time. Specifically, assuming an EVSE that shows the current charging rate: Try the PiP first; if it is charging at 2.2kW (is that a reasonable number?), leave it plugged in. If not, try in order the Volt, the iMiEV, and the LEAF, checking for 3.5kW each. If none of them is close to max rate, go back to the first one I found that is charging at all.

Ray

Ray, you would be close on the PiP it is about 2.2KW, the only issue is, the PiPs charger is "soft start"' it ramps up over several minutes to full power, so you might need to give it 2-3 minutes to tell. At any rate, the PiP and Volt don't "need" the charge the same way the iMEV and Leaf do, they have alternate power sources.

Ray, you are making it far more complicated than it is. Everything is equel and their "feed me" charge ports are all open. Pretty much everyone here knows what each of them is and that each have unique capabilities. Which one gets the nod?

I said iMiEV because I know it has less range than a LEAF and its driver is likely that much more at risk. Now if it were just a PIP and a Volt playing this game it gets harder. I know the PIP gets much better mileage than the Volt so I would probably plug in the Volt. Its sort of ecological extortion by GM but my objective would be simply to prevent the Volt from burning more gas than the PIP.

Back