All "Future" battery technology thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a great spoof article on all those fancy technology/science articles that are churned out, that have no content but just jargons.

It smells and feels like a great Onion.com piece. I am surprised that some people here fell for it.

JRP3 said:
To what are you referring?

BlackLight mentioned a few posts ago.

http://www.financialpost.com/markets/news/BlackLight+Power+Announces+Game+Changing+Achievement+Generation+Millions/9384649/story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mkjayakumar said:
It is a great spoof article on all those fancy technology/science articles that are churned out, that have no content but just jargons.

It smells and feels like a great Onion.com piece. I am surprised that some people here fell for it.
BlackLight Power might be a joke but this article isn't a spoof. In the Financial Post? Not on April 1st? I don't think so. The announcement the article mentions is relayed in various other sources. If it's a joke it's quite an elaborate one.

biggsy said:
Berlino said:

If it is legit, it will be a game changer, sounds almost too good to be true. If it is not legit, someone has sure gone to a lot of trouble to build a website and get it over on Financial Post which appears to be legit.

I'd apply the same sniff test here that I use for all of the "over unity" folks: If this stuff worked as amazingly as claimed, they would never have to waste their time with press releases and evangelism. They could simply take over the world market for electrical production in a matter of years. They'd be too busy for web sites or YouTube videos.

Nubo said:
biggsy said:
Berlino said:

If it is legit, it will be a game changer, sounds almost too good to be true. If it is not legit, someone has sure gone to a lot of trouble to build a website and get it over on Financial Post which appears to be legit.

I'd apply the same sniff test here that I use for all of the "over unity" folks: If this stuff worked as amazingly as claimed, they would never have to waste their time with press releases and evangelism. They could simply take over the world market for electrical production in a matter of years. They'd be too busy for web sites or YouTube videos.

Seems like BlackLight Power might heard you. Their January 28th demo apparently was "invitation only" event. No live stream, no press release. Just a bunch of expensive cars on the parking lot according to the folowing report.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2014/01/controversial-blacklight-power.html

Saw this article on Green Car Congress and it made me think a bit after reading the comments:

Bosch, GS Yuasa, Mitsubishi form JV for next-gen Li-ion battery technology; targeting a doubling of capacity

Specfically a link back to this article from 2009:

Report: Nissan On Track with Nickel Manganese Cobalt Li-ion Cell for Deployment in 2015
The new system, which will reportedly offer almost double the capacity of Nissan/AESC’s current manganese spinel cell, is supposedly slated for deployment in electric vehicles in 2015.

Combined with GRA's recent post where he says that he understood separator improvements to be largely an issue of battery stability/safety under extreme temperatures and not enhanced calendar life (after more research I pretty much came to the same conclusion). The separator keeps the battery from catching on fire if overcharged or otherwise damaged. It's not the separator itself that degrades, but the SEI growth on the electode that eventually kills the battery.

Anyway, so what if the "hot" battery that Nissan is working on is actually their Gen2 battery referenced in the 2009 article, combined with the ceramic coated separator to improve safety? It's quite likely that the current LEAF battery is stable enough on it's own that Nissan didn't feel the extra expense of a ceramic coated separator was necessary. But perhaps the NMC chemistry is less thermally stable and thus would require the ceramic coated separator to improve safety to similar levels as the current battery.

That might mean that Nissan is planning on rolling out these nearly double energy density "hot" batteries in just a couple months going into cars getting replacement packs (just in time for summer) with wide-spread adoption coming with the launch of the 2015 model year.

All of this would also coincide well with the recent Nissan survey asking how much more people would be willing to pay for a 150 mile LEAF (also nearly double the current EPA range - see above rumor from 2009).

If this is true and Nissan can pull this off - it could be a real game changer and really turn the EV market on it's head - no one else would be able to compete except Tesla.

if they bring a replacement battery,there are for shure 50.000 customers for it.
i would spend up to 5.000.-euro(6.500.-$) for a bigger replacement battery.
thats the same amount that i would spend for a build in rex.

drees said:
Saw this article on Green Car Congress and it made me think a bit after reading the comments:

Bosch, GS Yuasa, Mitsubishi form JV for next-gen Li-ion battery technology; targeting a doubling of capacity

Specfically a link back to this article from 2009:

Report: Nissan On Track with Nickel Manganese Cobalt Li-ion Cell for Deployment in 2015
The new system, which will reportedly offer almost double the capacity of Nissan/AESC’s current manganese spinel cell, is supposedly slated for deployment in electric vehicles in 2015.

Combined with GRA's recent post (which I can't find right now) that he understood separator improvements to be largely an issue of battery stability/safety under extreme temperatures and not enhanced calendar life.
I couldn't remember where it was either, but finally found it in the Soul topic. Here's the link to the reference source:

http://www.electrochem.org/dl/interface" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 61_065.pdf

Saw this article on Yahoo and thought I should post it.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/volkswagen-triple-battery-capacity-lithium-air-technology-110005389.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Battery technology breakthrough was listed as a risk for Tesla. It would be a bummer to finish a $5B gigafactory to produce something obsolete.

Until li air or anything else for that matter goes into production it's, well, just so much air.

Graffi said:

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/volkswagen-triple-battery-capacity-lithium-air-technology-110005389.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
link won't work

hill said:
Graffi said:

link won't work

Still works for me. Try copy and paste on the address line of another web page.

Stoaty said:
Vaporbattery (TM).

Moderator: please move to the existing vaporbattery thread.
Ya, much as I'd like to see it, the line that jumps out at me in that report is: "Another thing Volkswagen hasn't provided just yet is a timeframe for these new batteries. This--as ever--relegates them to the "maybe one day" column until more research has been conducted." :(

TT

It's good to have a place to post stuff like this. Our own Nissan engineers, in cooperation with their local universities, have achieved...something.
Nissan Motor Company and its affiliate Nissan Arc Ltd. today announced the development of the world's first analysis method that enables direct observation of electron activity in the cathode material of lithium ion batteries during charging and discharging.
The article goes into some depth, talking about x-ray absorption spectroscopy and supercomputers. Part of the idea is to look at the materials of the cathode and determine how they trade electrons around, and to see how many electrons you get out in the end.
Nissan Arc has used the new analysis technique to investigate lithium-rich high-capacity electrode materials, which are considered promising agents to increase energy density by 150 percent.
Reference is: http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-develops-world-first-analysis-technique-for-better-lithium-ion-battery-durability" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The conventional lesson is that most "inventions" are actually the result of a lot of research and hard work, and that progress is slow and incremental.

The social lesson goes, If they really did mean 150% additional energy (and not 50% more), this would mean "up to" 250 Nissan Miles (TM) or 210 EPA miles.

So, when you see the headline, "Nissan announces 250 mile LEAF", you'll know where this particular rumor originated ;)

News Article:
Dual-Carbon Battery: Same Energy Density, Safer, Longer Life Than Lithium-Ion, Says Power Japan Plus.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...r-life-than-lithium-ion-says-power-japan-plus

A couple of interesting quotes from the article:
"With energy density comparable to lithium-ion, the company claims that its Ryden dual-carbon chemistry can both recharge up to 20 times as fast and deliver more than 4 Volts of power from a single cell."

"In testing, the cell has completed more than 3,000 charge/discharge cycles with virtually no performance degradation, meaning that it could conceivably last the lifetime of a car."

"higher-volume production intended for other markets--including plug-in electric cars--the company will license its technology and consult with existing battery makers to enable them to produce the anode and cathode materials in their own facilities."

Back