Aerovironment L3 DCQC 50kW question-Is this true?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREENEV

Overheard.......

"AreoVironment tells us that different EVs accept DC quick charges in different ways.

As EV batteries get closer to be being fully charges, the rate of charging slows down. When folks talk about DC quick chargers being capable of re-charging a Nissan leaf in 20-30 minutes it is reference to delivering an 80% charge. Topping of the last 20% takes somewhat longer.

AV tells us that when a Nissan Leaf has less than about 50% of a charge the DC quick charger will take the car to about 80% in a session and then shut off. If the car has more than about 50%, then a session will take it all the way to a full charge."

Is this true?

I have heard others say that is true.

My experience with Blink QCs is that about 80% is the max I can get before it shuts off, whether I come in at 20% or 60%. I have seen the Eaton FC at Mitsubishi charge my car all the way to 100%, but it is painfully slow as you get up to the top...And your battery temps could be higher, depending on the circumstances.

With enough DC Fast Chargers installed, 80% may be all you need to hop between them or home and that would happen a lot faster and with less battery heating anyways...

All the Aerovironment DCQCs I've used seem to dispense charge for as long as you leave your car connected, or 'till the car hits 100%, whichever comes first. The charge rate drops as the battery becomes more fully charged, and may also drop if the battery is too hot. Hard to gauge, since the only thing one has to go by is a display of "KWH delivered" that updates every second. I'm too lazy for the mental math to translate "0.084KWh per second" into kilowatts, but my sense is that the charge rate drops down to about an L2 level at above 85% charge or so.

Since it is the vehicle that commands the QC as to how to charge and at what rate, I have no reason to believe that this is not true...

GREENEV said:
AreoVironment tells us that different EVs accept DC quick charges in different ways.

On my meter I've seen it hit L2 levels (around 4Kw) at about 85 percent indicated on the charger...

Levenkay said:
I'm too lazy for the mental math to translate "0.084KWh per second" into kilowatts, but my sense is that the charge rate drops down to about an L2 level at above 85% charge or so.

Well, it will be interesting to see the state of charging affairs when I finally use the brand new AV 50kW L3 DCQC in Fort Collins, CO sometime soon.

That is how our CHAdeMO quick charger works in Madison, WI. It charges up to 80% and then slows down to 7 kWh.

On an Eaton QC that is true. If under 50% it takes it to 80 and shuts off. If over 50% it takes it to 100% but throttles down as you get higher charge %s. I assume this is leaf software designed to save warranty claims.

isn't the dc charger only putting in what the car's computer tells it to? I thought the car is what commanded the charging rate. Am I wrong?

Back