8 bar battery replacement metrics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only had the new battery about a week. I bought it with 9 bars six weeks ago for a steal because the range was about 50 miles and the used car dealership couldn't move it. They had no idea they could get a new battery under warranty. Now the GOM is showing about 120 miles in the morning after a full charge in ECO mode. After a month of driving the car as slow as possible and charging all the time it's great to finally be able to drive 80 MPH on the highway and not worry about charging until I get home.

aroundlsu said:
I've only had the new battery about a week. I bought it with 9 bars six weeks ago for a steal because the range was about 50 miles and the used car dealership couldn't move it. They had no idea they could get a new battery under warranty. Now the GOM is showing about 120 miles in the morning after a full charge in ECO mode. After a month of driving the car as slow as possible and charging all the time it's great to finally be able to drive 80 MPH on the highway and not worry about charging until I get home.
Congrats! You are lucky that you won the battery "lottery" and the used car dealer was clueless.

Sounds like there are some great opportunities to be had, if one can get lucky.

Has anyone actually got a conclusive answer regarding the resetting of BMS and actual true numbers after that meaning you may have 11 or even 12 capacity bars, but in reality they really have less than 15 or 20% capacity? I'm not sure if I'm clear or specific but I just got my new battery yesterday and I can't compare it to any other new Leaf as I got it used. I got the car with 11 bars with 228GIDs with 81% SOH but the HX was already at 64.68. I thought if the SOH is 81%, the HX would be close to that number as well? That's what I'm wondering. I've dropped 11th, 10th, 9ths in a little over 26 months so I'm thinking if my BMS was reset and I never actually had 228GIDs but 200GIDS or less? Sorry to be confusing but I just don't want to drop 3 bars in 2 some years :(

PS my new battery had only 6 miles on my GOM before charging it to go home from the dealer. The timer was on and the technician never realized that until I was ready to take it home. After a full night's charge, I had 283GIDs, 21.9kWh (94% full charge), 63.80AH, SOH: 100%, HX: 100%. Drove it for about 20 miles and got better numbers: AHr: 66.14, SOH:100%, Hx: 100.04%

c4Lvin said:
Has anyone actually got a conclusive answer regarding the resetting of BMS and actual true numbers after that meaning you may have 11 or even 12 capacity bars, but in reality they really have less than 15 or 20% capacity? I'm not sure if I'm clear or specific but I just got my new battery yesterday and I can't compare it to any other new Leaf as I got it used. I got the car with 11 bars with 228GIDs with 81% SOH but the HX was already at 64.68. I thought if the SOH is 81%, the HX would be close to that number as well? That's what I'm wondering. I've dropped 11th, 10th, 9ths in a little over 26 months so I'm thinking if my BMS was reset and I never actually had 228GIDs but 200GIDS or less? Sorry to be confusing but I just don't want to drop 3 bars in 2 some years :(
I don't think we'll ever get a "conclusive answer" unless Nissan (the company or one of its reps or engineers, not someone from a dealer) chimes in.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=455984#p455984 was one cliff notes table that I saw.
c4Lvin said:
PS my new battery had only 6 miles on my GOM before charging it to go home from the dealer. The timer was on and the technician never realized that until I was ready to take it home. After a full night's charge, I had 283GIDs, 21.9kWh (94% full charge), 63.80AH, SOH: 100%, HX: 100%. Drove it for about 20 miles and got better numbers: AHr: 66.14, SOH:100%, Hx: 100.04%
Since you said new battery, those look good for a new one. It was found that with the '11 Leaf, a new battery had about 281 gids at full charge: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5582.

My used '13 Leaf (built 5/2013) residing in a not that mild climate (somewhat hotter part of the SF Bay Area) still has all 12 bars but AHr now is 57.xx to low 58.xx's. SOH tends to 87% to 88%. Hx tends to be 86.xx% to 87.xx%. My car only gets up to high 240s or low 250s gids on a 100% charge (per dash display's % SoC display which didn't exist until model year 2013).

I expect to lose my 1st capacity bar by end of summer.

Do any of you data hounds have daily logs that show Ahr capacity AND depth of discharge on the last cycle?

Reason I ask is that I've always wondered how the BMS calculates capacity if it doesn't routinely see the knee in the discharge curve down near VLBW.. It seems if you do a bunch of shallow cycles (say full down to 40-60% or so.. or even just let the car sit) in warm weather it keeps knocking mAhr off the obscenely precise Ahr capacity trying to anticipate capacity loss based on temperatures. It's very hard to gauge exact SOC in the mid-upper range based exclusively on voltages and the SOC relies in part on the Ahr discharge accumulator (coulomb counter) and it's best estimate of true capacity.

But what if this is not accurate? Especially after a bunch of time/cycles without seeing lower voltages it's bound to be off.

Yesterday I was down near VLBW for the first time in a while (surprising as it's only a 9 bar vehicle with 46.2Ahr) and right around 33 Gids it just kinda stuck there for a while. Based on the pack voltage I could see there was still plenty of charge in the pack. I took it down to 23 Gids just below VLBW and when I checked the Ahr capacity it had gone up!

The reason I ask of course is that if this is true, then a person who hasn't seen VLBW for a while might gain some reported capacity (not real capacity) by doing a few deep cycles down to 15-25 Gids (just below VLBW)

The converse of course is that if you're TRYING to get your capacity numbers down (say to reach 8 bars ASAP) then perhaps avoid LBW might be prudent.

?

I have a 2012 leaf with 45.64 AH capacity but I have only lost 2 capacity bars. Should I not be closer to loosing my 4th? I have 3000 miles to go before the warranty runs out! Thanks for any help

Learjet74 said:
I have a 2012 leaf with 45.64 AH capacity but I have only lost 2 capacity bars. Should I not be closer to loosing my 4th? I have 3000 miles to go before the warranty runs out! Thanks for any help

Your delivery date and model year don't compute: did you buy used?
If so, they reset the BMS and the instrumentation is still trying to 'catch up'. Unfortunately, I doubt you will make it in the next 3k miles.

Stanton said:
Learjet74 said:

Your delivery date and model year don't compute: did you buy used?
If so, they reset the BMS and the instrumentation is still trying to 'catch up'. Unfortunately, I doubt you will make it in the next 3k miles.
I lost the third bar on my 2011 at 47.47 Ahr, so something is weird with your 2012. At 45.64 Ahr, you have approx. another 3 Ahr drop before getting into the range where you lose the 4th bar. Whether it will do that in 3,000 miles depends mostly on what temperatures you are operating it in. Where are you located?

TT

I'm in Utah and the temperatures have been in the mid 90s for highs. I had the bus update done over a year ago and since have lost the 11th bar. I have had the car 2 years and have confirmed with Nissan that I am warranty eligible.

Aloha everyone,

I believe this is my very first post, although I had been reading posts on anything about battery replacement and degradation since December last year. I bought my leaf used in November showing 12 capacity bars. However, 2 bars dropped within a few weeks after that, so I got a dongle and LS Pro. Figured it out by New Year's Day. So i started with (1/1/16) AHr= 47.35, SoH = 72%, Hx = 65.72 L1/L2 = 758, QC= 57. My 10th bar dropped on 14 March AHr = 45.446, SoH = 69%, HX = 62.87, L1/L2 = 878, QC = 57.

When I got home last Monday 8/8/16, I saw 8 capacity bars remaining, took pictures to be sure. AHr = 41.895, SOH = 64%, HX = 57.54, L1/L2 = 1122, QC = 57. Next morning after overnight charge to 100%, AHr went up to 42.000. I thought 9 bar may come back, it has not. So AHr now is 41.889, 8 bars left @ 30,536 miles. I have appointment on Tuesday at the dealer :D . Does anyone need the file from LeafSpy? I'm not sure where to post it.

Mahalo to those who posted the very useful information I had read.

Roy

^^^
Thanks! Out of curiosity, what was the build month on your Leaf? It's on the driver's side door sticker. I suspect it was before 4/2013.

In your case, your vehicle obviously had its BMS/LBC reset by someone unscrupulous, up the chain, like http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/11/buyers-beware-this-is-must-read.html pointed to. However, there's a silver lining that you've won the battery lottery. Do you know where you Leaf previously resided? It must've been a hot climate.

Santabarbara808 said:
Aloha everyone,

I believe this is my very first post, although I had been reading posts on anything about battery replacement and degradation since December last year. I bought my leaf used in November showing 12 capacity bars. However, 2 bars dropped within a few weeks after that, so I got a dongle and LS Pro. Figured it out by New Year's Day. So i started with (1/1/16) AHr= 47.35, SoH = 72%, Hx = 65.72 L1/L2 = 758, QC= 57. My 10th bar dropped on 14 March AHr = 45.446, SoH = 69%, HX = 62.87, L1/L2 = 878, QC = 57.

When I got home last Monday 8/8/16, I saw 8 capacity bars remaining, took pictures to be sure. AHr = 41.895, SOH = 64%, HX = 57.54, L1/L2 = 1122, QC = 57. Next morning after overnight charge to 100%, AHr went up to 42.000. I thought 9 bar may come back, it has not. So AHr now is 41.889, 8 bars left @ 30,536 miles. I have appointment on Tuesday at the dealer :D . Does anyone need the file from LeafSpy? I'm not sure where to post it.

Roy

Huge congrats, it seems the trick is on whoever scammed you (The battery gauge was certainly reset back to 12 by a dealer along the way). I really hope the new batteries are better and it lasts you a long long time!

cwerdna said:
^^^
Thanks! Out of curiosity, what was the build month on your Leaf? It's on the driver's side door sticker. I suspect it was before 4/2013.

In your case, your vehicle obviously had its BMS/LBC reset by someone unscrupulous, up the chain, like http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/11/buyers-beware-this-is-must-read.html pointed to. However, there's a silver lining that you've won the battery lottery. Do you know where you Leaf previously resided? It must've been a hot climate.

Hello cwerdna, I checked it and the only date I can see is 01/13. I think you're right. Also I remember the staff at Nissan 800 number said the car was first registered on 06/13. I've been using it here in Hawaii (West Oahu). The previous owner resided further west of my residence(they forgot to delete their address). The west sides of all the Hawaiian Islands tends to be drier and hotter. And the previous owner did 57 QC's in the first 2 yrs. Mahalo.

^^^
Thank you! Yeah, all you'd see is a build month and year, no exact date. Congrats on winning the battery lottery! Despite someone unscrupulous person resetting the BMS/LBC, fortunately, you had plenty of time before the capacity warranty was up for it to readjust and relearn your battery. It might not've been an 8 bar car at the time of your purchase, but there's been enough time and temp to take it down that low.

If you could add your car to http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss, that would be great. If not, someone else may be able to help you, provided we have a decent amount of/enough info.

QueenBee said:
Santabarbara808 said:
Aloha everyone,

Roy

Huge congrats, it seems the trick is on whoever scammed you (The battery gauge was certainly reset back to 12 by a dealer along the way). I really hope the new batteries are better and it lasts you a long long time!

Aloha QueenBee and thank you. Yes, you are right. The used (CPO) dealers, didn't know much about the car, but they said they took it in to the nearest Nissan dealer for the annual battery check. Wish me luck, my car has that appointment tomorrow at the Nissan dealer. :D

I just dipped into 46.98 and still on 2nd only... Can't believe this thing hasn't dropped a 3rd yet... and it's not charging past 200gids anymore.

198 to 199 is the norm now.. :evil:

cwerdna said:
^^^
Thank you! Yeah, all you'd see is a build month and year, no exact date. Congrats on winning the battery lottery! Despite someone unscrupulous person resetting the BMS/LBC, fortunately, you had plenty of time before the capacity warranty was up for it to readjust and relearn your battery. It might not've been an 8 bar car at the time of your purchase, but there's been enough time and temp to take it down that low.

If you could add your car to http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss, that would be great. If not, someone else may be able to help you, provided we have a decent amount of/enough info.

I will. I'll figure out how to, if not I'll ask for help later. Mahalo.

Santabarbara808 said:
cwerdna said:
^^^

I will. I'll figure out how to, if not I'll ask for help later. Mahalo.

I don't know how to do it myself. I had one car drop 4th bar in November 25th 2015 at 41.78AHr and 63% SOH manufacture 4/11 at 37,453 miles vin 3289 and the car started its use in Sherman Oaks California until around January 2015. When I bought it in AZ on 2/28/15, it was a 10 bar car. When I am on the wiki page I don't see any way to insert information.

Back