8 bar battery replacement metrics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evoforce said:
I don't know how to do it myself. I had one car drop 4th bar in November 25th 2015 at 41.79AHr and 63% SOH. I would have to look back at the mileage again. When I am on the wiki page I don't see any way to insert information.
I think you need to log in first, via the link at the bottom. If you don't have an account, then you need to create one.

My 2011 Leaf lost the 4th bar a couple weeks ago. Metrics below:
LeafSpy8bars_zpscdkhyycr.jpg

leafdash_zps20retmpy.jpg

AHr=42.40
SOH=64%
Hx=43.31%
odo=59,758

TT

^^^ I would have dealer document and see what CSR will do.
I was two weeks late and Nissan did 100% replacement.
drees just lost fourth bar two months late and is going through the process.

TimLee said:
^^^ I would have dealer document and see what CSR will do.
I was two weeks late and Nissan did 100% replacement.
That's in process already.
Thx,
TT

TimLee said:
Tom is ahead of me by a bit. :) Appt at the dealer tomorrow and will be following up with the EV hotline and further if necessary.

What is a typical wait time for the replacement battery?
Dealer/Nissan EV agree that the battery was ordered back in late June but can not give me any more information on when it will arrive at Dealer.

bmetzner said:
What is a typical wait time for the replacement battery?
Dealer/Nissan EV agree that the battery was ordered back in late June but can not give me any more information on when it will arrive at Dealer.

At this point, I would call the Nissan hotline (for EVs). It shouldn't take more than 6-8 weeks. Mine took about 4, but there's more of a backlog now.

JasonA said:
I just dipped into 46.98 and still on 2nd only... Can't believe this thing hasn't dropped a 3rd yet... and it's not charging past 200gids anymore.

198 to 199 is the norm now.. :evil:
If you do this 10-15 times in a row (once per day for 10-15 days) you will drop 3-4 Ahr.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzYPiKWN6D4OOUdjeHBWYS1PRU0

I purchased my 2012 Leaf in January of this year with 9 bars and ~25,000 miles. Took it to the local dealer to do a records search to find it was a lease deal that was turned in (does this mean Nissan actually owned the car?). The "owner" did 2 battery checks - missed at least one. The dealer did one for me for free - with all top rated results.

Question is - does the missing of any of the annual battery "tests" void the 5 yr, 8 bar replacement? I fully expect to lose the 9th bar before Sept. of 2017 - end of the 60 month limit.

Anyone had this scenario?

Marktm said:
I purchased my 2012 Leaf in January of this year with 9 bars and ~25,000 miles. Took it to the local dealer to do a records search to find it was a lease deal that was turned in (does this mean Nissan actually owned the car?). The "owner" did 2 battery checks - missed at least one. The dealer did one for me for free - with all top rated results.

Question is - does the missing of any of the annual battery "tests" void the 5 yr, 8 bar replacement? I fully expect to lose the 9th bar before Sept. of 2017 - end of the 60 month limit.

Yes, I had this scenario as I thought paying for the battery checks was a waste of money so I didn't pay for one until I knew it was getting close to losing the 9th bar. I figured worst case is if that tired to say anything I'd take them to small claims court and have them make some failed attempt at trying to prove that not getting the checks caused battery damage even the one that I had gotten less than a year ago said the battery was "A OK"

I finally dropped bar 10 yesterday once the amp hour dropped below 44. Now I'm at 43.85 ah, 66% soh and 45.77 hx.

QueenBee said:
Marktm said:

Yes, I had this scenario as I thought paying for the battery checks was a waste of money so I didn't pay for one until I knew it was getting close to losing the 9th bar. I figured worst case is if that tired to say anything I'd take them to small claims court and have them make some failed attempt at trying to prove that not getting the checks caused battery damage even the one that I had gotten less than a year ago said the battery was "A OK"

So, did you lose the 9th bar in the warranty period? Did they try to deny your claim due to a lack of yearly battery tests?

QueenBee said:

Seems logical - did you actually get a new battery under the new warrantee - without the continuous annual check? I'm thinking it is worthwhile to have it checked - to be back on schedule this month even though it's only been since last January (with great results). Also, since it was a lease vehicle, I think technically, it was still owned by Nissan - and if the check was so important to determine if a battery is failing or being treated improperly, that Nissan would have a dealer insure that it was done - even to the point of sending a technician to the vehicle (what's that song - Dream on, Dream on!)
THANKS

Marktm said:
QueenBee said:

Seems logical - did you actually get a new battery under the new warrantee - without the continuous annual check? I'm thinking it is worthwhile to have it checked - to be back on schedule this month even though it's only been since last January (with great results). Also, since it was a lease vehicle, I think technically, it was still owned by Nissan - and if the check was so important to determine if a battery is failing or being treated improperly, that Nissan would have a dealer insure that it was done - even to the point of sending a technician to the vehicle (what's that song - Dream on, Dream on!)
THANKS
Yes, I did. I didn't do the third and 4 year one and then about 6 months prior to the 5th year I paid one and a few months later the bar dropped.

3rd bar just dropped right at 46.74ah and 30k miles.. i have pretty much 1year left exactly on the warranty (Sept 2012 vehicle)...

Need those AH's to fall off quick!

33a5660db2733a657284155e03b7642e.jpg

82a1e546face19c5a296bed747dd7ecc.jpg

JasonA said:
3rd bar just dropped right at 46.74ah and 30k miles.. i have pretty much 1year left exactly on the warranty (Sept 2012 vehicle)...

Need those AH's to fall off quick!

33a5660db2733a657284155e03b7642e.jpg

82a1e546face19c5a296bed747dd7ecc.jpg
If you do this 10-15 times in a row (once per day for 10-15 days) you will drop 3-4 Ahr. (Battery Temp)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzYPiKWN6D4OOUdjeHBWYS1PRU0/view

Would be very strange to Turtle with two status of charge bars still on.

Must have just taken at startup to show Turtle light.

But you are correct that deep discharge to Turtle or Pack disconnect does cause quite a bit of heating that will accelerate capacity loss.

TimLee said:
Would be very strange to Turtle with two status of charge bars still on.

Must have just taken at startup to show Turtle light.

But you are correct that deep discharge to Turtle or Pack disconnect does cause quite a bit of heating that will accelerate capacity loss.

Notice the temp bars? This is the temperature too high turtle not the SOC too low turtle.

QueenBee said:
... Notice the temp bars? This is the temperature too high turtle not the SOC too low turtle.
Thanks for explaining :lol:
Not enough functioning DCQC here so I never had seen overheated pack Turtle :? :( ;)

Back