8 bar battery replacement metrics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bmetzner said:
So, with just over 8 months to go, my 2012 Leaf is at 9 bars and AHr=46.28. Lost about 1.5 over the past 4 months, it's been a pretty cool winter here in South Florida.

Weather is warming up, humidity creeping in and snow birds headed back North, so, we'll see how it goes...

Interesting that the difference in date of title can be so important. Was your 2012 Leaf one of the first off the line? The used 2012 Leaf that I purchased is titled Sept. 2012 - maybe one of the last 2012 that was leased? The extra summer could be the difference for me.

I just got LeafSpyPro and my readings are: Ahr - 47.10 and SOH - 71% . It is a 2011 with 39,882 miles miles on it. I have until mid-August (3 months) to lose my 9th bar. Any chance that will happen if I am really aggressive? It's been a while since I lost my last bar, but I don't know when exactly.

A dealer told me to QC as much as possible (I've never done it before) and to turn it on and let it run down in the driveway every night. Good idea? I live in Northern CA so it will be hot, but not super hot.

Thanks,
Adrienne

Adriennels said:
I just got LeafSpyPro and my readings are: Ahr - 47.10 and SOH - 71% . It is a 2011 with 39,882 miles miles on it. I have until mid-August (3 months) to lose my 9th bar. Any chance that will happen if I am really aggressive? It's been a while since I lost my last bar, but I don't know when exactly.

A dealer told me to QC as much as possible (I've never done it before) and to turn it on and let it run down in the driveway every night. Good idea? I live in Northern CA so it will be hot, but not super hot.
I think it really depends on how much you want to drive. I'm sure if you drove and drove and drove and drove with lots of quick charging in between driving you could do it but unfortunately you need at least a couple percent a month which I think would take a whole lot of work :/

Can someone help me decode this Leafspy report? These screenshots were made after a full night of charging. The car said it was fully charged. I just bought a 2011 SL with 34k miles and showing 9 bars. Nissan confirmed I have 18 months left on the warranty so I'm patiently waiting for that 9th bar to drop. According to what I've read here and looking at the leafspy it should have dropped by now. Am I missing something?

QPrizzD.png

RmWk3Nw.png

aroundlsu said:
Can someone help me decode this Leafspy report? These screenshots were made after a full night of charging. The car said it was fully charged. I just bought a 2011 SL with 34k miles and showing 9 bars. Nissan confirmed I have 18 months left on the warranty so I'm patiently waiting for that 9th bar to drop. According to what I've read here and looking at the leafspy it should have dropped by now. Am I missing something?

QPrizzD.png

RmWk3Nw.png
You do not have 18 months left on your battery capacity warranty (Settlement), unless the car did not sell until the beginning of 2013! The capacity warranty is 5yr/60 k miles from inservice date. The warranty is likely expired or about to, so if you drop that bar, you better get it in to the dealer ASAP !

Nissan said the in service date is when the car was sold which was Sept 2012 which makes the warranty over in Sept 2017. The carfax also confirms it was first sold in Sept 2012. Is that not accurate?

aroundlsu said:
Nissan said the in service date is when the car was sold which was Sept 2012 which makes the warranty over in Sept 2017. The carfax also confirms it was first sold in Sept 2012. Is that not accurate?
That may be accurate. I think it is rare that a 2011 model would not be sold until Sept 2012, so I did not expect that. I was thinking they might be talking about the battery defect (not capacity) warranty and were misinformed, but with an in-service date in Sept 2012, you do have ~16 months of battery capacity warranty.

aroundlsu said:
Can someone help me decode this Leafspy report?
You did not provide the right info.
The important information SOH, AHr, and Hx are on page one at the top above the battery cell pair voltages graph.
With 180 Gids and 14 kWh when fully charged you might be getting close to losing fourth capacity bar.
But AHr is the key.
I lost the fourth bar about two weeks after AHr dropped below 43 and SOH hit 64%.

I figured it out and found the right info. It finally dropped that 9th bar this afternoon and now I am trying to get my local Nissan to schedule the service. Not the easiest thing trying to explain what I want to receptionists that answer the phone!

Metrics:
2011 SL 34K Miles
AHr = 42.15
SOH = 64%

TimLee said:
aroundlsu said:
Can someone help me decode this Leafspy report?
You did not provide the right info.
The important information SOH, AHr, and Hx are on page one at the top above the battery cell pair voltages graph.
With 180 Gids and 14 kWh when fully charged you might be getting close to losing fourth capacity bar.
But AHr is the key.
I lost the fourth bar about two weeks after AHr dropped below 43 and SOH hit 64%.

I just dropped mine yesterday and took a picture of it. I called to Nissan EV hotline and they told me to call the Nissan dealer so I picked the closest one. I have an appointment for them to check on the battery data, etc this coming Monday and they said it can take a few hours just for that? Is that normal guys? Also is it true that some people are actually getting the new 30Kw battery for early models? I think I hit the average of the battery capacity, etc.

The lowest aH I had was 43.34, SOH-66, Hx = 44.9X

Now it's at 43.39 with minor fluctuations. I never thought that it would be this early since I've read that some lose it at 180GIDs and under. I think mine still charges up to 187-188GIDs with 14.3-4kwh.

Wish me luck on Monday guys and I do love this Leaf even my range is about 45-50miles at the moment. If I can get the 30KWh battery that would be a dream come true. :eek:

1. Yes, it took my dealer a while to do the test to verify my 8 bars. I'm not sure what the factory requires of them, but it must be more than just looking at the dash gauge. They may even have to do the standard, yearly battery test, and upload it to Nissan for approval.
2. No, no one is getting a 30 kWh battery.

keydiver said:
1. Yes, it took my dealer a while to do the test to verify my 8 bars. I'm not sure what the factory requires of them, but it must be more than just looking at the dash gauge. They may even have to do the standard, yearly battery test, and upload it to Nissan for approval.
2. No, no one is getting a 30 kWh battery.
Not sure what they are doing. I was at the dealer for about an hour and 45 minutes of that hour was charging on the DCQC so I could make it back home. All the tech did was hook up the computer and grab/send back whatever data Nissan needs to approve it, and printed the battery report for me.

Thanks for the reply @keydiver
Just wondering how long did you or any other person's replacement process take from the testing date? I know I read that it's got to "ARRIVE" from somewhere after that. I just want to get it fix and try to do 100 miles (never been done since I'm the 2nd owner). When I got it it had 11 bars and 228GIDs. Since then I think I lost about 12-18 miles of range. I thought someone here in this forum said they got the 30kwh battery? There was another person that posted a picture of GOM of 143 or so miles no? Oh wells. I'll live with 24kwh without any complaints. Saved me personally 20K worth of mile already.

c4Lvin said:
Thanks for the reply @keydiver
Just wondering how long did you or any other person's replacement process take from the testing date? I know I read that it's got to "ARRIVE" from somewhere after that. I just want to get it fix and try to do 100 miles (never been done since I'm the 2nd owner). When I got it it had 11 bars and 228GIDs. Since then I think I lost about 12-18 miles of range. I thought someone here in this forum said they got the 30kwh battery? There was another person that posted a picture of GOM of 143 or so miles no? Oh wells. I'll live with 24kwh without any complaints. Saved me personally 20K worth of mile already.
There was a post of someone claiming 30kwh batt repacement based on GOM, it was almost certainly a 24 kWh batt with crappy GOM reading due to ECU (BMS?) reset, etc. No one has proven to have a 30 kWh batt replacing a 24 kWh. There have also been posts where people were told by a dealer service dept that if they qualified for batt replacement they would get a 30 kWh replacement, also almost certainly dealer lies/misunderstanding, again.

Hey guys I just dropped off my Leaf for a new battery today. Will be picking it up shortly. Just wondering what are some tips to "prolong" this new battery. I know the basics about not leaving it discharged or charged fully for an extended period of time but just wondering are there any other additional charging techniques I should be using? Such as using my trickle charger instead of L2 (installed). I currently had the car auto-charge from 3AM to full charged at 100%. That gave me a good 45+ miles going to about 1500ft elevation in a 44 mile one way route that I do weekly. It does hit LBW and with 2-3 miles on the GOM. Never hit VLBW though. I'm just ecstatic over this new battery. I currently am trying to log into the carwings/EV Connect app but doesn't show anything but the dealer said that it would be charging. Do I have to adjust something on the car's display myself? Hope everybody else gets their pack replaced if it's under warranty!

I had to reenable carwings on the radio unit in the car when I got mine back from the battery replacement. I tried to check on the battery via carwings too since I live a little ways from my dealer but kept getting a timeout. Some things were reset in the car, while others things didn't reset.

thanks for the info aroundlsu! Do appreciate it. How is your new battery holding up? How long have you had it? If I remember correctly, my 2011 Leaf had 227-228 GIDs (100%) and when I lost my 4th bar it was down to 180ish or 14.3-14.4kWH. It would be amazing to see 12 capacity bars. Although I bought my car with 11 capacity bars, I just don't drive enough due to range anxiety to go to VLBW :( I do however it's about another 10miles before hitting turtle. Thanks again!

Back