6600+ ft. of climbing / LEAF in the San Bernardino Mountains

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edatoakrun said:
Yanquetino:
Despite those differences, it is nonetheless informative to see how CarWings tallies the 5.8 kWh consumed on that trip. The screen dump below shows that the traction motor used 7.7 kWh, and the vehicle accessories 0.2 kWh, giving a total of 7.9 kWh pulled from the battery pack. However, the renerative braking produced 2.1 kWh, which means it recaptured nearly 27% of the energy expended. I find that quiet remarkable —even though CarWings only gives me a score of 3 (“good”) in that category.

I believe CW may rank you, not particularly accurately, by regen as a ratio of total kWh use.

In one sense, CW is correct, since regen is "good" in that it is better than using the friction brakes, but it will improve your m/kWh efficiency to avoid regen as much as possible.

So, if you do the same trip, and get a "2" next time, you should actually have a better m/kWh efficiency, overall.

BTW, I like the way the "worst" ratings by CW are "average".

In the virtual Lake Woebegone world of CW, all LEAF drivers are above (or at least, at) average...
That's what we need, Garrison Keillor to drive a Leaf :lol:

Just a quick note: We took our LEAF to Fontana Nissan yesterday for a firmware update and annual battery check. We have over 13,000 miles from the first year, and the battery report came back with all five stars. While I'm not sure that means much, our mountain usage is fairly atypical of LEAF owners.

Of course, they told us we need new tires. I'd been hoping to wait until fall (end of our dry season) to replace them. The shoulders are totally bald, but the centers have plenty of tread and traction still seems fine. I'm wondering if there's any good reason we can't keep using them on dry roads. In any case, sooner or later we're hoping to find replacement tires with long tread life and relatively low rolling resistance.

Looking forward to another great year of lots of electric mountain miles!

abasile said:
Of course, they told us we need new tires. I'd been hoping to wait until fall (end of our dry season) to replace them. The shoulders are totally bald, but the centers have plenty of tread and traction still seems fine. I'm wondering if there's any good reason we can't keep using them on dry roads. In any case, sooner or later we're hoping to find replacement tires with long tread life and relatively low rolling resistance.
Have any pics of the tires? Is the wear similar across all 4?

The tire wear is similar across all four, and is not at all unusual for "stock" tires driven around here. 13,000 miles isn't that surprising to us.

We bought our 2010 Prius (driven by another family member) used with 21,000 miles and its tires were in great shape. After a few thousand miles, they were toast. 15,000 miles later, the replacement tires which were recommended by our local mountain mechanic are still going strong; they have a high wear rating and will probably last quite a while longer.

In 2005, we bought a new 4x4 Honda Pilot (bad move financially, as with any new car purchase). The factory tires needed replacing well before 20,000 miles.

With all of the mandatory chain use (ugh), many of our road surfaces are fairly rough.

Not for the factory OEM tires, no. I replaced the ones on mine with Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires from Costco. A far better tire with both a road hazard and a 60,000 mile tread life warranty (at least if purchased from Costco). I've noticed little difference in range with these tires but a huge improvement in handling, braking and ride.

dgpcolorado said:
Is there any sort of warranty coverage for the tires? Even for the mountains 13,000 miles seems way too early for tires to need to be replaced.

Kataphn said:
Andrew...would like to hear what you end up purchasing for replacement tires so I can file away that knowledge! :D
For our new set of tires we ended up paying $625 out the door, including tax, balancing, installation, and old tire disposal fees. While we probably could have done better pricewise, we were happy to patronize our local mountain auto shop, which has always provided good service and is convenient for us. They will do free rotations every 3000 miles, which is probably a good interval for mountain driving.

The new tires are Kumho Solus ECO KR-22. They have a high wear rating (800), and based on our experience with Kumho Solus KR-21 tires on the Prius, we expect they will do reasonably well in snow. The only negative is that I suspect they have higher rolling resistance than the OEM tires, based on what seems to be a slight drop in range, though I haven't really tried to quantify it.

While we haven't charged to 100% in weeks, we did get 281 gids on a 100% charge on our Central Coast trip last month. I am more inclined to believe that a recent, modest drop in range would be due to the new tires than to battery degradation. Keeping the car in a cool area most of the time has probably helped the battery, despite the extra stress from all of our regenerative braking.

Following a bunch of regen, I noticed something interesting when driving down the mountain today. We left the house with 72.5% SOC, were down to about 71% at the top of CA-330, and had 82.5% when we reached the 210 freeway. What I found interesting is that even at about 82% according to the SOC meter, the dash still indicated that we had 10 min. to an 80% charge. Finally, by 82.5%, the "10 min. to 80%" turned to ---. So 82.5% in gids seemed to correspond to a usable SOC of 80%. (?)

EDIT: I just checked the charge usage figures that I reported in October 2011 (in this thread) for driving down and up the mountain. We might be using a few more gids now. Today we had about 64% near the bottom of CA-330, we had about 19% in Running Springs, and we arrived home in Arrowbear just a hair after the low battery warning came on.

Update: Lately we've been doing a lot more driving down and up the mountain, albeit mostly at low enough speeds to keep our continuous discharge rate at about 25 kW. A discharge rate of 1C seems very conservative with respect to battery longevity.

Anyway, my wife just charged all the way to "100%" (courtesy of the city of Rancho Cucamonga - thank you) for the first time in several weeks. She reported that the SOC meter read 99.8%. I didn't get the gid count, but it must have been 280.

So, at 13 months and roughly 15,200 miles and counting, mostly in the mountains with lots of regenerative braking, we don't seem to be seeing any loss of battery capacity.

We saw another LEAF and a Volt at Big Bear Lake yesterday!

Driving 50+ miles round trip through Big Bear to access the Sugarloaf Peak hiking trail, we saw a red LEAF heading west on CA-18 at about 4 pm. Then, maybe 5-10 minutes later, we passed a black Volt while heading east on Big Bear Boulevard.

I'm guessing the San Bernardino QC is getting some use...

Well, it is not really a big deal for or to see a Volt. They can just use gas if they like.

abasile said:
Driving 50+ miles round trip through Big Bear to access the Sugarloaf Peak hiking trail, we saw a red LEAF heading west on CA-18 at about 4 pm. Then, maybe 5-10 minutes later, we passed a black Volt while heading east on Big Bear Boulevard.I'm guessing the San Bernardino QC is getting some use...

abasile said:

Driving 50+ miles round trip through Big Bear to access the Sugarloaf Peak hiking trail, we saw a red LEAF heading west on CA-18 at about 4 pm. Then, maybe 5-10 minutes later, we passed a black Volt while heading east on Big Bear Boulevard.

I'm guessing the San Bernardino QC is getting some use...
Cool, abasile! Glad to see that the San Bernardino QC is getting some good use. Of course, a Volt couldn't have plugged in there anyway, since it doesn't have a CHAdeMO port --and given that GM is trying to undermine that standard, it probably never will.

A couple of weeks ago we drove our Leaf up to an elevation of 6,535 feet. I was amazed and delighted with its performance:

Reaching New Heights

Glad to see Yanquetino and others enjoying the LEAF's mountain capabilities! :D Yanquetino still had quite a bit of energy left in his battery pack after that climb to Pine Valley.

As for the Volt, I just thought it was cool to see one so soon after the other LEAF, even though its gasoline-powered mountain climb was nothing special. We see lots of Prii on the roads up here, but very few Volts. That red LEAF was our first in-the-wild mountain sighting.

Also, this time, I had an SOC meter when driving the three roundtrip miles on a rocky dirt road to access yesterday's trailhead. Unlike an ICE which wastes lots of energy going 8-15 mph on that kind of terrain, the LEAF used very little energy, maybe a few percent SOC at the most (I didn't write it down), including some regen going back down.

:) You are right . I was up at Big Bear this weekend driving west on the 18 yesterday about 4pm and saw a blue leaf.
We did stop by the QC in San Bernardino Friday evening an the way from Loma linda to Big Bear. I topped the charge up to 90% and went up the 330. I arrived in Big Bear at 10:30 pm one bar showing, light snow and 27 degrees. What an amazing the Leaf is even with a steep climb and cold temps.

asharpleaf, it was great to see your LEAF at Big Bear Lake!

By the way, multiple people have recently asked me about driving to Big Bear Lake, a trip that is feasible for many in the Southland thanks to the San Bernardino QC. Here is some advice:

1. Keep in mind that the QC is restricted to about 16 kW to avoid SCE demand charges, so it is not as "quick" as it was initially. While charging, after a stop inside the 7 Eleven, you can pick up some groceries at the Stater Bros. on the next block, or perhaps grab a bite at one of the nearby restaurants.

2. After using the QC, the most efficient way to get to Big Bear Lake is to drive back down to the 210 freeway, head east, then climb the mountain on CA-330. As you approach the town of Running Springs, simply follow the signs to Big Bear Lake; this involves no turns and you will end up on CA-18 heading east. Alternatively, you could take CA-18 all the way up the mountain from the QC for the scenic drive along the "Rim", but keep in mind that this will require probably an additional 10% SOC compared to climbing on CA-330, and will take a bit longer.

3. Assuming you keep your speed at 40 mph and below (and always show courtesy by using turnouts to let faster drivers pass), the climb on CA-330 from the 210 freeway to Running Springs requires just under half a charge. The drive from the QC to the start of CA-330 also takes some charge.

4. Do not attempt to drive all the way from the QC to Big Bear on an 80% charge! At least on your first attempt, charge to 100% at the QC. Alternatively, you will likely need to stop at our house in Arrowbear to add some charge. We are listed in PlugShare, and all we ask is that you leave a note, email, PM, etc. to let us know you've plugged in here.

5. Once you get to Arrowbear, I would recommend having a minimum of three bars of charge (~ 35%) remaining if driving to the east end of Big Bear Lake. If you have less than that, then please stop at our house and add some charge; we don't want any LEAF drivers getting stuck up here! (If we end up with a constant flow of people charging here, then perhaps we may at some point accept donations; however, it is not an issue right now, so don't worry about it.)

6. If heading to the east end of Big Bear Lake, consider making a left turn on CA-38 when you reach the traffic signal at the Big Bear dam. Taking the less-developed North Shore (CA-38) is more relaxing and scenic, and requires little if any additional charge compared to Big Bear Boulevard on the south side. Also, if you run low on charge, you can use the 120 V outlets on the lightposts in the Discovery Center parking lot. :)

Enjoy your trip to the mountains!

Fantastic advice--thank you very much for sharing! I must now convince my wife to allow a few detours on our weekend in Big Bear to satisfy my EV passion. :D If I need a charge I will be sure to PM you. Again, thank you very much.

ahattan said:
Fantastic advice--thank you very much for sharing! I must now convince my wife to allow a few detours on our weekend in Big Bear to satisfy my EV passion. :D If I need a charge I will be sure to PM you. Again, thank you very much.
Sounds great! However, in a pinch, don't count on me retrieving a PM right away -- you can find our house in PlugShare. Just pull in to the driveway and start charging as needed. The AeroVironment EVSE can be seen from the street.

Just completed my first trip Whittier-Big Bear (~93 miles each way). Started off with full charge Saturday morning, set cruise control at 55 all the way out the 605-210, topped off at Rialto 7-11 Eaton (44 amp max) for about 45 minutes to get back to 11 bars (from 4 indicated), and made it to abasile's house with 2 bars showing. Picked up three bars there and made it fine, although the elapsed time of almost 4 hours is double what it takes in the ICE.

After overnight charge to 10 bars on L1, had a very interesting trip down 330. Trying to combine hypermiling, regen, and some "fun" resulted in boring straightaways and interesting turns ;-) Much more entertaining than the cautious drive uphill, although it turned out that my regen was capped at 5kW the last third of the drive down; I would start with perhaps 8-9 bars next time to save wear on the brake pads.

Dropped to 9 bars near the west end of the Arctic Circle, then back to 10 at the 5000' post and hit 11 just as the 330 turned into the 210. Made it the whole way back on the single charge, at 60 mph (and faster, once I got closer to home), under 2 hours door-to-door.

Thanks to abasile for both the advice on how much charge I needed (he was right, even though I erred on the side of caution at his house and over-charged one bar), and for providing his EVSE.

Back