411 on volontary recall P1273 LEAF VCM LBC TCU NTB12-014

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
one thing i do notice is this is not a form letter. we all got a letter that actually addresses our car. i like that.

Yep! Mine is customized in invisible ink! No letter at all! Very strange. As for the car moving when the door's opened, I think that happened to me once in my old ICE; learned pretty quickly after trying to get back in my car along half the pipe stem. Not gonna make that mistake again!

As I think this should probably be the main thread on this (although several others seem to be popping up --- note to forum admin to consolidate maybe; didn't see a reference number on the email from Nissan though) thought I would post here as I just called my local dealer and as I have Friday and Monday off may bring in the car then if they have the part in question (if they do, the tech they have is a really great guy who should be able to show this thing to me and I can snap a quick photo); we have snow out here during the winter months (like --- now!) and I can remember a similar 'update' to a '98 VW New Beetle TDI that I had that required something similar --- think I recall that it affected the MAF which of course EV's don't have, but in any case it was a 'snow screen' that prevented snow from clogging the engine --- don't know why the LEAF would really require this perhaps they've had some cars getting packed up snow in the engine compartment --- highly unlikely in the warmer states of course. As to the other software updates, will be curious as to what they'll 'fix' --- we have however on only one incident where we parked the car, left it 'on', but it was in Park and I locked it. This can happening with such a quiet car (saw that someone testing a Lexus CT200h did the same thing on a road test). A better interface to Carwings is just a nice to have, a better GOM would be an improvement so we'll see. Hopefully Nissan has provided this part (although I see someone already posted that it may have to be ordered) before notifying the LEAF customers but we'll all see soon --- BTW, dealer is McGrath in Elgin, IL (outside of Chicago).

EDIT: Just got a call back, dealer needs to order it as well, they also would like to take a few hours with the software update so will require it to be dropped off (they offered a loaner) ; said the part should be in, in a few days so perhaps I won't get to see it but I plan to get this done anyway but at the same visit.

It may be that "apron bracketer, third class" at the Nissan plant missed a few random days of work! :lol:

It seems to me that an apron would keep the snow out of the engine compartment and the apron bracket reinforce or attach the apron. Could this be a structural issue :?:

My last comment is sounding more true than sarcastic.

redLEAF said:
As I think this should probably be the main thread on this (although several others seem to be popping up --- note to forum admin to consolidate maybe; didn't see a reference number on the email from Nissan though) thought I would post here as I just called my local dealer and as I have Friday and Monday off may bring in the car then if they have the part in question (if they do, the tech they have is a really great guy who should be able to show this thing to me and I can snap a quick photo); we have snow out here during the winter months (like --- now!) and I can remember a similar 'update' to a '98 VW New Beetle TDI that I had that required something similar --- think I recall that it affected the MAF which of course EV's don't have, but in any case it was a 'snow screen' that prevented snow from clogging the engine --- don't know why the LEAF would really require this perhaps they've had some cars getting packed up snow in the engine compartment --- highly unlikely in the warmer states of course. As to the other software updates, will be curious as to what they'll 'fix' --- we have however on only one incident where we parked the car, left it 'on', but it was in Park and I locked it. This can happening with such a quiet car (saw that someone testing a Lexus CT200h did the same thing on a road test). A better interface to Carwings is just a nice to have, a better GOM would be an improvement so we'll see. Hopefully Nissan has provided this part (although I see someone already posted that it may have to be ordered) before notifying the LEAF customers but we'll all see soon --- BTW, dealer is McGrath in Elgin, IL (outside of Chicago).

Possibly, if enough snow (and ice) gets in through the front, it becomes too heavy on the apron and bends the front of the front apron down a bit ... to become a "scoop", and the problem gets worse?

So, the bracket might reinforce the front edge of the apron, fastening it "up" in place.

Just called Town North Nissan in Austin, Texas and they do not have the parts or software to do the update at this time. They will call me when ready for me to bring "Chili" in for service.

Ian B

I didn't get mine until I called CS to inquire why not. It turned out that, though it was correct every place else and on all the various Nissan leaf and carwings websites, my email address was wrong in the CS database. In fact, it wasn't even close... No indication from them as to why they had different data than everyone else and why the databases weren't synchronized...

TimeHorse said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
one thing i do notice is this is not a form letter. we all got a letter that actually addresses our car. i like that.
Yep! Mine is customized in invisible ink! No letter at all! Very strange. As for the car moving when the door's opened, I think that happened to me once in my old ICE; learned pretty quickly after trying to get back in my car along half the pipe stem. Not gonna make that mistake again!

DaveinOlyWA said:
Nissan continually improves product performance through ongoing enhancements. Based on the production date of your LEAF vehicle, Nissan would like to offer a complimentary update of the vehicle software. Nissan has added an additional driver-convenience alert designed to notify the driver if their door is opened while the vehicle is still in the "ON" or "READY" mode, and the shift selector is not in "P."

In addition, Nissan has improved both the accuracy of the charging-time estimate on the meter display and the distance-to-empty estimate when using a smartphone or other Internet device through CARWINGS™. The software update also includes various enhancements to, among other things, CARWINGS connectivity, information displays, HVAC operation, and diagnostic systems.

Nice!! i am not getting the bracket and since no one here knows what it is, i am guessing no one has missed it up to this point. now considering the weather patterns here can i guess i already have it??

**note** my Leaf was on the first boat over. no bracket here either. so its a mix. anyone figure out the pattern yet.

I suspect that the bracket is only for cars with the cold weather package. If the car doesn't have the cold weather package it wasn't supposed to be delivered to place where snow and ice are an issue. One would think they'd update all LEAF's though. Never know if someone might move to a climate where it snows.

Do you have a vehicle that can tow a flatbed trailer? Can't think of any other way. How did you get your Leaf home in the first place?
EdmondLeaf said:
I want this update badly, but my dealer, any certified dealer, 201 miles away, any suggestions?

so odd that I have yet to receive any email or notification that this update is available. Could this may have been since I got an orphan leaf instead of ordering one? If so then Nissan is going to leave a few leaf people in the dark. I know a good handful that purchased orphaned leafs.

Pipcecil said:
so odd that I have yet to receive any email or notification that this update is available. Could this may have been since I got an orphan leaf instead of ordering one? If so then Nissan is going to leave a few leaf people in the dark. I know a good handful that purchased orphaned leafs.

Did you offer your e-mail address at any point during your purchase process?

I suspect they only have my e-mail because of the online purchase process I went through to get the car. Even if you offered your e-mail address at the dealership, chances are it only went to the dealership's private e-mail list. If you did give your e-mail address, did you get the sense it was for some kind of official Nissan corporate mailing list?

I didn't receive any sort of email, so I had a chat with CS on the website. I provided them with my VIN and they said that none of the service bulletins are applicable to my car. So, I guess I have the most up-to-date software?

I have gotten offical correspondance before, but it was for the order I canceled after I got an orphan one early. I got my car in June of 2011 which, from the post, all of those people are receiving the upgrades. I seriously doubt if my car was some special prototype that got it early in 2011.

NYLEAF said:
I didn't receive any sort of email, so I had a chat with CS on the website. I provided them with my VIN and they said that none of the service bulletins are applicable to my car. So, I guess I have the most up-to-date software?

OK can you try this test carefully! with the car in D open the drivers door

do you hear a chime, or is it just an indicator in the speedo panel saying door open?

If requested, they will perform the update at your home or place of business.

Interesting, today CARWINGS interupted my radio and informed me that an update was available and to contact my dealer to schedule the maintenance.

Nissan has added an additional driver-convenience alert designed to notify the driver if their door is opened while the vehicle is still in the "ON" or "READY" mode, and the shift selector is not in "P."

In addition, Nissan has improved both the accuracy of the charging-time estimate on the meter display and the distance-to-empty estimate when using a smartphone or other Internet device through CARWINGS™. The software update also includes various enhancements to, among other things, CARWINGS connectivity, information displays, HVAC operation, and diagnostic systems.

Typically performed at your Nissan EV Dealer, the update can also be completed by an EV-certified technician at your home or place of business, provided there is a suitable and safe work area. Please discuss with your Nissan EV Dealer regarding timing and location.

In support of this software update, a new owner's manual will also be provided.

Yes, it chimes when I open the door with the car running -- does not matter if the car is in P, D, or R, it makes the same chime if I open the door with the car in READY mode. It's a fast "double-chime", if that makes any sense.

Ingineer said:
I just got it too:

pic

-Phil
Yours is identical to mine!

Back