240V EV-ChargeAmerica EVSE - (likely scam buyer beware)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I canceled my order and according to PayPal my credit will hit tomorrow the 27th. I purchased the AV "cash and carry" wich is being installed tomorrow.

IMHO the ethical thing to do is guarantee that they will knock 20% off the price of your entire install up to $3333.33 and then 50% from $3333.33 to $4000.00! As in, you $%^% cost me the 2010 EVSE credit and now I'm capped at 30% up to $1000 so I want you to cover my loss to the credit!

I looked at the NEC 625 code for installing EVSEs. They state no plug-and-cords for more than 120 vac. So for Leviton to make the unit some changes must have been made. I'm having problems finding requirements for GFIC. Since the Leviton unit already has GFIC, do I still have to change out my breaker to a GFIC breaker? I have an older Zinsco breaker panel that uses Q and QC breakers. I haven't seen any GFIC breakers that would fit the box yet. I'm trying to get all my requirements together so I can get the City to allow me to get a permit. I'm just a home owner and not an electrician, but its not rocket science and a good DIYer should be able to hack it.

It's a matter of a few months before people shed tears on the wasted dollars spent on expensive wall-mounted EVSEs this year. It's also funny you can use a 240V live extension cord on construction sites.

Try NEC 625.13 of most recent versions.
It specifically allows L2 plug-in designs.

No, do NOT use a GFI breaker with a L2 EVSE. Typically the GFI in the breaker is too sensitive to work well with a L2 EVSE, which (should) contain a slightly less sensitive GFI.

My understanding of NEC 625 is that a plug-in 240V EVSE is permissible if it is used indoors or the plug is enclosed. The Leviton unit has a cover for the plug. Gary is right, you do not want to use a GFI outlet as the EVSE already contains a GFI and any GFI outlet you can buy would be too sensitive, it would trip frequently if you tried that.

I did file a claim with PayPal, and after a couple phone calls to Dwight, I got my PayPal refund. Bob indicated they would be sending me a check for the $300.00 extra I sent them. If it doesn't come by the end of this week, I will be calling them a couple times a day until I get it.

johnr said:
My understanding of NEC 625 is that a plug-in 240V EVSE is permissible if it is used indoors or the plug is enclosed. The Leviton unit has a cover for the plug. Gary is right, you do not want to use a GFI outlet as the EVSE already contains a GFI and any GFI outlet you can buy would be too sensitive, it would trip frequently if you tried that.
I think there are 2 issues with plug-connected L2 EVSE:

1. They want the plug cover to encourage you to unplug the EVSE infrequently, since the NEMA plug is not rated for the large number of mate/demate cycles the J1772 plug is and because there's nothing to prevent the NEMA plug from demating with current flowing.
2. If you notice, the Leviton L2 EVSE has a mounting bracket that fastens it securely to the wall. This is so the cord to the car will reliably break away from the EVSE should it become strained, and I'm sure the pilot wire is shorter than the others so it will break first and de-energize the EVSE before the cable separates from the unit.

I believe this is the main intent that prevents "portable" L2 EVSE, however I very much doubt there will be "EVSE police" who monitor how we are using our equipment, so long as it is manufactured so it could be used the way they envision it to be used.

the 240 extension cord issues is probably a result of antiquidated fire codes used as loopholes by insurance companies to reduce their liability

This thread sure died out. I wonder how many people actually took advantage of their big sale. Or should I say taken advantage by?

I ordered OVER THE PHONE- I gave Dwight my credit card # in October of 2010. I did not use paypal like most others who purchased the unit. I was never charged because I canceled the EV Charge America charger when AV offer me their charger the 1st week of December.

I received an email today stating that my charger will ship on 1/24/11. I'm still being hopeful. I pick up my car on Monday, 1/17.

ChicoBob said:
I received an email today stating that my charger will ship on 1/24/11. I'm still being hopeful. I pick up my car on Monday, 1/17.

Just curious, why would you still consider a purchase from a company that at best is completely disorganized and will likely have poor service not to mention has a high probability of failing soon. For years I have watched these type of EV supply companies operate like this and it becomes quickly evident the alarm bells are sounding here. What is the hurry to buy from THEM?

smkettner said:
Glad to hear there is one hold out that may well show EVCA will ship before the big guys.
Let us know how it works out.

Is the ship date a sign of a good product and company? Is that how impatient and short sighted people have become to get an EVSE. It seems people throw away common sense when they "must have" something, EV fans are known for being in denial about pack life, parts, range, etc, etc, etc. It's like an EV blindness:) I really hate to se people get burned by EV supply companies.

Back