2016 Nissan LEAF Information - 30 kWh SV/SL, 24 kWh S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pkulak said:
Anyone have any thoughts on weather this will be 30 kWh usable or total? Seems like the rest of the market has moved to reporting usable. Nissan could have chosen to follow suit. That would be pretty sweet. We might have to wait for the EPA numbers, but I'd say, if it's over 110 miles, then it's 30 kWh usable. That would be a about a 43% increase. Not too shabby.

As much as I'd love to think Nissan is switching to usable, rather than total, I doubt it. The photo posted by the dealer in Seattle clearly showed the S trim with 24 kWh. If the SV/SL with 30 kWh meant usable capacity, the 24 kWh would presumably be as well -- which would mean the S trim was also getting an upgrade. It would be a pretty big coincidence if the usable capacity of the new S trim battery just happened to match the total capacity of the current S/SV/SL battery. OR, it would mean that they're quoting usable capacity for some trims, and total capacity for other trims. I just can't see either of those scenarios being true. :(

A dealer posting says 110 miles. I wonder whether that is the EPA rating.

Even if 30 kWh is the total - if they use a little bit higher % of it - that can push the EPA rating to 110 miles. The other possibility is that the 30 kWh battery is lighter than the old 24 kWh.

http://insideevs.com/nissan-dealer-leaks-info-2016-leaf-two-battery-sizes-offered/

The standard Leaf will come with the same battery as the 2015 model, featuring an EPA-estimated driving range of 84 miles.
Drivers of higher trim levels will enjoy a battery with as much as 25% increased capacity, delivering a driving range of as much as 110 miles.

dgpcolorado said:
EVforRobert said:
$109 x 36 months for S charger package with @3400 down is not bad.
I agree. It would be safer to go with no down and a bit higher payment though, since the down payment is lost if the car is totaled in a crash.
But it would be cheaper if you want to extend the lease (do they allow for extension of 3 year leases?).

evnow said:
dgpcolorado said:
EVforRobert said:
I agree. It would be safer to go with no down and a bit higher payment though, since the down payment is lost if the car is totaled in a crash.
But it would be cheaper if you want to extend the lease (do they allow for extension of 3 year leases?).
Another question for my dealer when I see him.
Will Nissan be switching to LG Chem battery in the SL/SV and the S for MY 16?

EVforRobert said:
Who knows ?

My guess is no.

I don't think Nissan switches to LG Chem anytime soon (I guess not even for Leaf 2). Ghosn is using LG Chem to put price pressure on AESC.

evnow said:
EVforRobert said:
... I don't think Nissan switches to LG Chem anytime soon (I guess not even for Leaf 2). Ghosn is using LG Chem to put price pressure on AESC.
Agree not for 2016. LG says they will drop the price in half next year. I suspect many companies are on that time line for releasing vehicles with double the range. http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2015/08/133_184623.html

So i saw this today:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1099610_2016-nissan-leafs-two-batteries-84-miles-base-110-miles-for-top-trims-dealer-says

This article brought up a question I've been wanting(and forgetting) to ask ever since I got my 2015 SL last October.

When I initially picked up the new car, the sales person had it plugged in to their L2 charger. I got in and saw the mileage range reading 111. I forgot to ask how the car was able to charge to that much when the EPA rating was 84. Yes, I know that the EPA rating is a rough approximation, but this 111 range was way above when 84 was supposed to be equivalent to 100% charged. Or, is 100% charged supposed to around 100 miles range for all the Leafs that are currently on the road?

Over the past 10 months, when I didnt time things right and "overcharged" the car longer than I had wanted, it would read 100+ miles, with the most recent being last week when it read 110 miles. The charging indicator on the dash was showing that it was still charging(2 solid blues and one blinking blue) when I unplugged the EVSE, so it may have gone even higher if I had left it plugged in, although i suspect that 111 is probably the maximum as that was equivalent to the "full tank" when i first drove the car off the dealer lot.

If 110 miles is the 100% charged range for the 24kW, at least for me, does that mean that the 2016 30kW will be getting much more than the reported 110 range, maybe 150?

The GOM (Guess O Meter) has nothing to do with the EPA rated range.

If a 24 kWh battery gets 110mi GOM readings, a 30 kWh battery will probably get around 140 miles or so.

My 2015's GOM also regularly reads 110 at 100%. Staying off the interstates, I can easily get 100 real miles, consistently better than my old 2012. Whatever they've done to the pack, I'll guess a 30 kWh 2016 will be able to do 130-140 miles, in summer, keeping at 50 mph or less.

Great discussion and thanks for everyone sharing what they know.

I apologize as this question has probably been answered somewhere in the 35 pages, but is there a release date (official or otherwise) yet for the 2016?

I extended my 2 year lease on the 2013 an extra year until March, 2016. This means I will be eligible to end my lease in December, which is my plan right now if the 2016 is available. Now that my area (Minneapolis) has a good start on a fast charge network I am really excited about the possibility to add the CHAdeMO charger and the increase in range.

It appears as though they're looking at a mid-September on-sale date according to a press release that they released and subsequently edited: http://insideevs.com/enhanced-2016-nissan-leaf-to-launch-nationwide-in-september/

smnewport said:
...When I initially picked up the new car, the sales person had it plugged in to their L2 charger. I got in and saw the mileage range reading 111. I forgot to ask how the car was able to charge to that much when the EPA rating was 84. Yes, I know that the EPA rating is a rough approximation, but this 111 range was way above when 84 was supposed to be equivalent to 100% charged. Or, is 100% charged supposed to around 100 miles range for all the Leafs that are currently on the road?...

The guess-o-meter is only making a prediction, based on how efficient your more recent driving has been. If you have a significant drive at low speeds, and thus a high miles per kWH efficiency, the GOM will simply extrapolate that to a very high full-charge range. Don't worry, you can't "overcharge" your car.

kubel said:
EVforRobert said:

$203.44/mo with $0 down. Miles?

Now that there is a larger battery coming I will wait another month. Not as interested in the S anymore.

30kWh gets me all the way to one of my favorite destinations, Monterey Bay Aquarium. It is 87 miles with some hills, so the 24 kWh would likely require a charge to get there.
I reserve the right to change my mind.

EVforRobert said:
kubel said:
EVforRobert said:

Now that there is a larger battery coming I will wait another month. Not as interested in the S anymore.

30kWh gets me all the way to one of my favorite destinations, Monterey Bay Aquarium. It is 87 miles with some hills, so the 24 kWh would likely require a charge to get there.

Are you ready to pay for it? I don't think we are going to see deals like now for some time.

Valdemar said:
EVforRobert said:
kubel said:

Are you ready to pay for it? I don't think we are going to see deals like now for some time.
There's also now an eVgo dual-standard QC in Salinas at Nob Hill Foods, from which you can take Hwy 68 17.5 miles right into Monterey, and another rumored to be going in (finally!) in Gilroy, so trips between the Bay Area and Monterey will finally be reasonable in a 24kWh LEAF. Personally, I'd still wait for 30kWh, but the good deals are probably at least 9 months away on those, at which point there'll possibly be even more range available on the 2017s a few months later.

Thanks for the update on QC in Salinas.

It would be great to roll nonstop into Cannery Row with 20 miles left in the battery, though.

not sure where anyone got the idea that manufacturers are posting usable capacity over total capacity but if the previous press releases from 2012 are accurate then there will not be a change in the number of modules meaning there is likely not going to be a change to the unusable part of the pack so if getting 22-22.5 kwh from a 24 kwh pack, I would have to think you will get 28-28.5 kwh from the newer pack at which 110 miles is what you should expect if averaging 4 miles per kwh.

so take your 28 kwh usable and multiply it by your normal performance number. in my case, I am looking at 140 miles in Summer @ 5 miles/kwh and about 98 to 112 miles in Winter. due to greater impacts on range during Winter its much harder to predict the nominal distance I can travel. Summer is much more predictable simply because A/C is a minimal range hit so I am I have to say I am more than a bit surprised that so many consider this to be an insignificant bump. for a mid design change, I think its HUGE

Mercedes (for the B-Class) and Kia (for the Soul EV) are advertising usable, not total, battery capacity. That's where the idea came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back