2014 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://insideevs.com/yesterday-2014-nissan-leaf-coming-in-october-today-2014-nissan-leaf-coming-in-december/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says December 2013.

by 2016, I'd expect something closer to 200 real world miles. I think people need to see some real incremental improvement in battery capacity, not just energy efficiency improvements that improve range only under certain circumstances.

TomT said:
Not before 2015 at the earliest... More likely when the 2016 redesign comes out...

GaslessInSeattle said:
the leaf sure could use a range boost about now! a hundred+ real highway miles would be a nice bump!!

GaslessInSeattle said:
by 2016, I'd expect something closer to 200 real world miles. I think people need to see some real incremental improvement in battery capacity, not just energy efficiency improvements that improve range only under certain circumstances.

I think cost just needs to go down. Look at how many batteries Tesla can cram into their cars. If 60KWH of battery only cost a few grand, I don't think Nissan would have a problem cramming them into the floor somewhere. From what I can tell, the prices are going down, though a bit slowly.

pkulak said:
I think cost just needs to go down. Look at how many batteries Tesla can cram into their cars.
Look how big the Model S is - it is 1 ft longer than a Camry !

Today even Tesla can't put a large battery in a compact. Checkout Mercedes Class B electric. It will have a smaller battery than the RAV4 EV.

evnow said:
Today even Tesla can't put a large battery in a compact. Checkout Mercedes Class B electric. It will have a smaller battery than the RAV4 EV.

That's not quite a fair comparison, given that both of those are conversions. Tesla did a really good job with those, considering that both were done without reducing passenger or cargo space.

Tesla could fit a 40-50kWh skateboard on a midsize chassis today if they wanted to. Maybe even a compact, too, with a raised back seat.

GaslessInSeattle said:

TomT said:
Not before 2015 at the earliest... More likely when the 2016 redesign comes out...

GaslessInSeattle said:
the leaf sure could use a range boost about now! a hundred+ real highway miles would be a nice bump!!

NICE DREAMS brah

GaslessInSeattle said:

Dream big or go home I guess. I doubt this will happen. I'm betting price will drop a little more (not as much as '12-'13 though), and we'll get to a real-world 100 miles. We might see 200 miles by the end of the decade. Or we might not without a price premium.

GetOffYourGas said:
Dream big or go home I guess. I doubt this will happen. I'm betting price will drop a little more (not as much as '12-'13 though), and we'll get to a real-world 100 miles. We might see 200 miles by the end of the decade. Or we might not without a price premium.
At some point in the distant future we will be laughing that we bought an electric car with 75 mile range for $30k. But for 2016 100 mile freeway range is a good estimate, given the battery technology rumors.

GetOffYourGas said:
GaslessInSeattle said:
Now, there's a more realistic dream by 2016. Possibly even by 2015. I'd also throw in a more heat-resistant battery, though that might eat up the additional price drop.

I predict that, for Nissan, 200 real world miles will first come under the Infiniti brand, and with a major price jump. You won't see it at the LEAF level for nearly a decade from now.

Ray

Another reason it'll be good if 200 mile range EVs do come onto the market is because it'll kill the resale values of second hand 100 mile range EVs!!!

The reason that's good is because 100 miles is proving enough for me (and, clearly, many others here) so we'll have more low-cost EV purchasing options in the future!!

Like the guy said at the 'funeral' service of the EV1: "They were right - electric cars are no good for everyone. They're useful to only 90% of the population!" The thing is, folks won't realise that until they actually try to live with one and realise they can after all, and so the struggle to sell EVs will continue.

I have not seen any evidence that battery prices are dropping, so it seems unlikely that we're going to see larger batteries for less cost any time soon. However, subtle improvements in design and chemistry should get more range out of the same amount of lithium. Other ways to improve range are to cut weight, as the BMW i3 has done, or improve aerodynamics.

Agreed, a friend at Nissan says next gen should be available in 2015 (16 MY) and expect the car to grow in size a bit allowing a larger battery, also a BEV version of the Rogue has been wispered about. Now that is large enough to accomodate a 200 mile battery. Nissan if your reading this, I'd buy that.

GaslessInSeattle said:
[/quote]

donald said:
Another reason it'll be good if 200 mile range EVs do come onto the market is because it'll kill the resale values of second hand 100 mile range EVs!!!

The reason that's good is because 100 miles is proving enough for me (and, clearly, many others here) so we'll have more low-cost EV purchasing options in the future!!
I certainly agree. The daily discussion between my wife and I over who gets the Leaf today has made me think of looking for a 2011 60,000+ mile multi-bar loser for my 37-mile RT commute. If I can get in for around $10,000 and have at least 15KWh, it should work even in the dead of winter (probably, I would hope).

Back