2014 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do we know if the 2014 Leaf will use the new 'Hot' battery pack ?

My lease ends in Feb next year and Nissan gives a 3 month grace period that I can return early without penalty for a new Leaf lease and that will cut my payments in half. If we know that the 2014s will have the new 'Hot' battery then I would rather wait and get them.

mkjayakumar said:
Do we know if the 2014 Leaf will use the new 'Hot' battery pack ?

My lease ends in Feb next year and Nissan gives a 3 month grace period that I can return early without penalty for a new Leaf lease and that will cut my payments in half. If we know that the 2014s will have the new 'Hot' battery then I would rather wait and get them.

No, the 2014 supposedly comes out this Dec./Jan., but the new battery pack won't be at least until Spring, 2014.

Bicster said:
Tesla could fit a 40-50kWh skateboard on a midsize chassis today if they wanted to. Maybe even a compact, too, with a raised back seat.
Possibly - but Leaf is a compact, not a midsize.

Even so, conceivably they can do it - we are talking about half the size of the 85 kWh pack they have. Model S wheel base in 116 inches and Leaf's is 106. Even with wider Model S, I'd guess the area available for the pack in Leaf is more than half of what is available in Model S.

GIBBER said:
LOL, yea the Juke is a love it or hate it look, but they seem to sell very well. The all new 2014 Rogue is fantastic looking, let's cross our fingers.

Maybe the Rogue would have enough room for a larger battery. It is pretty nice looking.

DougWantsALeaf said:
sorry, meant Kw/hour as in the battery, not the 80KW motor.
It is kW.Hours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilowatt_hour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evnow said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
It is kW.Hours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilowatt_hour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jesus, why is everyone being such a pedantic douchebag? (Also, a period does not mean "multiply".)

DougWantsALeaf said:
Its kWh, kilowatt hour, not kw/hr.

kwh represents energy capacity. 40kwh of energy can represent 40kw of power being exerted for 1 hour, or 1kw of power for 40 hours or any combination that multiples to 40.

A kw represents the rate of energy conversion or transfer. Its one joule per second.

To put it in gas terms, kw represents power in the same way as horsepower.
kwh represents an amount of energy spent or available to be spent and is analogous to gallons of gasoline.

pkulak said:
evnow said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
It is kW.Hours.

Jesus, why is everyone being such a pedantic douchebag? (Also, a period does not mean "multiply".)
I guess cause it makes a difference if folks are trying to reference the equivalent of horsepower vs gallons of gas. Seems very different in the ICE world, yet apparently easy to confuse in the EV world but no less mind twisting when the wrong one is used.

It would be very confusing to hear someone say a car has a 200hp gas tank, or has a 10 gallon engine. Such as, it has long range because it has a 200hp gas tank, or is really fast because it has a 10 gallon engine, or you're going to fill up your 200hp gas tank.

In the ICE world, the terms are very different and values are pretty different. In the EV world they are overlapping. Writing kw is very similar to kWh. The Tesla Model S has a 85kwh battery, but the Leaf has a 80 kw motor. The stage is set for major confusion.

evnow said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
It is kW.Hours.

Since you didn't put the . in the middle, the preferred notation is kW h, kW hs, or kW hours.

dm33 said:
I guess cause it makes a difference if folks are trying to reference the equivalent of horsepower vs gallons of gas. Seems very different in the ICE world, yet apparently easy to confuse in the EV world but no less mind twisting when the wrong one is used.

It would be very confusing to hear someone say a car has a 200hp gas tank, or has a 10 gallon engine. Such as, it has long range because it has a 200hp gas tank, or is really fast because it has a 10 gallon engine, or you're going to fill up your 200hp gas tank.

In the ICE world, the terms are very different and values are pretty different. In the EV world they are overlapping. Writing kw is very similar to kWh. The Tesla Model S has a 85kwh battery, but the Leaf has a 80 kw motor. The stage is set for major confusion.

I say we move to SI units only. My Leaf has an 86-megajoule battery!

evnow said:
Bicster said:
Tesla could fit a 40-50kWh skateboard on a midsize chassis today if they wanted to. Maybe even a compact, too, with a raised back seat.
Possibly - but Leaf is a compact, not a midsize.

AFAIK LEAF is mid size but it's virtually the smallest a mid size can be....

QueenBee said:
AFAIK LEAF is mid size but it's virtually the smallest a mid size can be....
Yes - EPA classifies it as a mid-size (and Volt as a compact). But in Europe it would be a C class. I think for practical reasons we should just call it a compact.

BTW, CA dealers call it a "sub-compact" (along with Prius).

pkulak said:
It is not kW per hour. Nothing "pedantic" about that difference.

GetOffYourGas said:
... We might see 200 miles by the end of the decade. Or we might not without a price premium.

These grandiose plans fail to address the reality that the $7500 federal tax handout ends when they hit 200,000 cars, so the car will have to be $7500 cheaper to compete with all those pure compliance cars that won't sell 200,000 cars in a century.

Nissan is already about 20% of the way to 200,000, and at 30,000 per year, that's only 5 or 6 years away...

2018 - 2019

evnow said:
pkulak said:
It is not kW per hour. Nothing "pedantic" about that difference.

People are very pedantic on this forum when it comes to jumping all over those users using incorrect measurement units, calling EVSE "chargers," and the list goes on. It's quite similar to constantly pointing out incorrect spelling and comma splices in forum posts. Very douchey, and it doesn't help the image of Leaf owners, I gotta say.

Back