time to move on from 2014 S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawlins02

I've had lots of luck with my 2014 S with charge package. Incredibly low maintenance costs. Still has 10 bars capacity. GOM recently read 86 miles at full charge. I've saved tons of money driving it. But like most folks, need a bit more range. It's in very good shape with 74,000 miles. One dealer offered 2K on trade in. Kelly Blue Book is $3,100. These amounts seem a bit low. Maybe I should donate it to my sister...

rawlins02 said:
I've had lots of luck with my 2014 S with charge package. Incredibly low maintenance costs. Still has 10 bars capacity. GOM recently read 86 miles at full charge. I've saved tons of money driving it. But like most folks, need a bit more range. It's in very good shape with 74,000 miles. One dealer offered 2K on trade in. Kelly Blue Book is $3,100. These amounts seem a bit low. Maybe I should donate it to my sister...

Because the used car market is using variables that don't really apply to EV, you'll get upside down estimates like that. Your best option is a private sale to a knowledgeable EV person. Using the blue book or dealer trade-in values is a sure way to lose out. A better estimate would be the physical condition of the Leaf (of course), then followed by battery condition, installed options, then finally mileage. The best you could do is look at other 2014 vehicles in excellent condition with no mileage. Then look at comparable options to figure out a rough idea of what to sell it for. The Leaf is considered a compact car, so what do various "compact" ICE vehicles from 2014 in excellent condition with very low mileage go for sale in your area? Then work backwards from that. :D

This list is a good start on values:
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/used/2014-compact-cars

MikeinPA said:
Overall condition? Corrosion on body? Tires? Leaf Spy reading on battery? Color?

Very good condition, perhaps excellent. No accidents or damage in or out. No corrosion. Tires a few years old, will have to check. Older Android phone so no LeafSpy. Always want to check that! Black car. I just sent pics including dashboard to dealer.

knightmb said:
rawlins02 said:

Because the used car market is using variables that don't really apply to EV, you'll get upside down estimates like that.

<snipped for brevity>

This list is a good start on values:
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/used/2014-compact-cars

Cars on that site are running more than 3x what dealer offered me for my Leaf. Easy. I've been checking prices in this region for 2013-2015 Leaf S with similar mileage. Range is generally $6,500-$8000. I figure those listed at dealership are inflated by around 100%. Now I'm sure my car is worth closer to $4,000.

rawlins02 said:
Cars on that site are running more than 3x what dealer offered me for my Leaf. Easy. I've been checking prices in this region for 2013-2015 Leaf S with similar mileage. Range is generally $6,500-$8000. I figure those listed at dealership are inflated by around 100%. Now I'm sure my car is worth closer to $4,000.

If time is on your side, it will work to your advantage if there is no rush to sell immediately. :D

rawlins02 said:
I've had lots of luck with my 2014 S with charge package. Incredibly low maintenance costs. Still has 10 bars capacity. GOM recently read 86 miles at full charge. I've saved tons of money driving it. But like most folks, need a bit more range. It's in very good shape with 74,000 miles. One dealer offered 2K on trade in. Kelly Blue Book is $3,100.

My (sold last year) 2013 LEAF S with the same charge package had 11 capacity bars (IIRC 82% SOH) and was good for about 50 miles of anxiety free city in fair weather driving between charges. That meant we learned to plug it in after every drive. In my world, adverts that only mention GOM values are either clueless owners or shady sellers.

By the way, you forgot to mention CHAdeMO (or the lack thereof) in your reasons to dump the car

knightmb said:
rawlins02 said:

If time is on your side, it will work to your advantage if there is no rush to sell immediately. :D

Like Mick Jagger sang, "Ti-i-i-ime, is on my side, yes it is!" :p

I personally thought the gifting to your sister had the best upside by far!

In fact, I think you should ask her and see if she agrees? :)

Back